DTS-6 XM3401B CDROM drives repair video

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Marco Giustini
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1168
    • Reading, UK

    #1

    DTS-6 XM3401B CDROM drives repair video

    I still have an old DTS-6 with the caddy drives. They are all more or less dead, they work when they want.

    A friend posted a video where he tries to repair one. Lots of pointers if any of you would like to dive into a repair to keep the player alive with the original drives!

  • Mark Gulbrandsen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3093
    • Nashville, TN

    #2
    Originally posted by Marco Giustini
    A friend posted a video where he tries to repair one. Lots of pointers if any of you would like to dive into a repair to keep the player alive with the original drives!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDHHSOQ4TdQ
    But will the old drives work with the current firmware??? I seem to remember doing firmware and a board upgrades when we started installing drawer type drives.

    Comment

    • Marco Giustini
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1168
      • Reading, UK

      #3
      they do

      And those old drives did not have any custom firmware at all

      The upgrades were likely because the replacement drives were incompatible with the old SCSI controller. The new controller had bigger software drivers which required a bigger ROM etc.
      My DTS-6 is running TCR 1.46

      Comment

      • Michael Zarits
        Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 85
        • Austria

        #4
        This just came right on time! I still have a DTS-6 with caddy drives in use and will recap them soon since one of them had troubles reading a disc the last days. Thanks for sharing Marco!

        Comment

        • Marco Giustini
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1168
          • Reading, UK

          #5
          Very welcome! I never thought of recapping them - I know that recapping is not always the magic recipe to fix things but I've always noticed that those drives start working (or work better) after a while they've been powered up and that is definitely a "bad capacitor" symptom!

          Comment

          Working...