F_ck my son

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jim Cassedy
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1450
    • San Francisco

    #1

    F_ck my son

    "Fuck My Son"
    (Digital Transfer)
    5 Reels (on cores)
    Kodak 2383 print stock
    SCOPE / Dolby SR

    I must say, that speaking from a strictly technical perspective, this
    was one of the better "film-outs' that I've run lately. Great color and
    sound! My only real complaint is that this is the 2nd worst badly
    packaged print I've received recently. I believe that this print came
    from the same lab in Mexico that made "The Monkey" print. I say
    that because both films had the reel numbers marked with similar
    green stickers in Spanish. ("Rollo 1") - and they both arrived in
    boxes that just barely made it to the projection booth without
    falling apart. "F-M-S" needed to be shipped to another venue on
    the East Coast right after my show, and I had to walk several city
    blocks ( in a heavy rain ) the next morning to get a suitable shipping
    container at a FedX store to send it to it's next venue.


    FookMySon_LeaderStrip.jpg
  • Mike Blakesley
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2021
    • Forsyth MT

    #2
    What is it with the F-word these days? It's basically replaced the words 'damn' and "hell" for most purposes. I don't get the appeal. It used to be a word you used for shock value at the end of an argument, as in "Okay, well you know what? FARK YOU! I'm out of here!" but now people greet each other with "Hey, how the frock are ya!" We have a bar next door to the theater at which people are always coming outside to smoke cigarettes and visit, and rarely do any of them get through a whole sentence without at least one F-bomb.

    Comment

    • Frank Cox
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 2314
      • Melville Saskatchewan

      #3
      Ain't it a goddamn fucking shame that the sweet sonnet of the soul's longing, the tender whisper of lovers entwined, and the poet's dance with the divine, all get drowned out by the constant, clamorous cacophony of that four-letter fuckfest? Seems like every goddamn mouth on the street's got a fucking tongue loose, flinging that single, salty syllable around like it's the only word in the fucking English dictionary, while the language of the gods and the language of the heart get left high and dry, gasping for breath. It's a fucking tragedy, I tell ya, that a word as common as the common cold should steal the fucking stage from the symphony of the human spirit.

      But hey, what the fuck do I know? I'm just an old-school, hardboiled scribe, trying to find some goddamn rhyme and reason in this fucked-up world and carve a little beauty out of the broken remnants of the English language.​

      (Yeah, so I was still in writing gear after finishing my phone booth story....)

      Comment

      • Leo Enticknap
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3572
        • Loma Linda, CA

        #4
        I'd love to see the reaction when that movie title goes up on a theater marquee in a small town populated mainly by conservative-leaning retirees.

        Going well and truly off topic, but what the f...

        This reminds me of an occasion as a young projectionist in the early 1990s, when the theater in which I worked was rented for a screening to schoolchildren of Desert Victory, to be followed by a Q & A with a veteran who had fought in the Battle of El-Alamein. I didn't know this at the time, but he spent the entire screening in the theater's bar knocking back enough whisky to put most people in a coma. So he was, shall we say, somewhat uninhibited by the time he appeared on stage.

        One of the teenagers asked him a question about the aftermath of the battle, in which rogue groups of Rommel's forces who had survived tried to pick off isolated groups of Allied forces, guerilla style. His response, as best as I can remember it (delivered in a thick Cockney accent):

        "Yeah. I remember that. There were three kraut tanks coming right up our arses - Monty didn't think there was any left by then. Then the bloody jeep broke down, didn't it? The sergeant opened up the bonnet, steam went all over the bloody place, and do you know what he said? [dramatic pause] He said 'The fucking fucker's fucking fucked! And so are we if we don't run like fuck!"

        He suddenly and immediately had the full, undivided attention of everyone in the room: it was probably the first time that most of these teens had heard someone of their grandfather's age use language like that, and it had quite an effect.

        Comment

        • Randy Stankey
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1388
          • Erie, PA, USA

          #5
          The only movie title that I can think of that's worse than "Fuck My Son" is "Cocksucker Blues."

          I can't imagine that this movie is any better than that old, Rolling Stones flick, either.

          Maybe they could double feature, together? That'd be an interesting marquee!

          Comment

          • Ioannis Syrogiannis
            Pro Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 286
            • Reykjavík, Iceland

            #6
            I 've seen the title on a film festival last week. It seems that it's taken out of a comic named Fuck My Son: A Tale of Terror, Issue One​, which makes more sense, considering that comics are, often enough, more vulgar on their language and imagery. Take Crumb, as an example.
            It seems to me that making a movie out of those is a good way to "spread the word", but seldomly make a faithful representation, reproduced the effect of the hard/paper print. (But that is unrelated to the film print or the title language...)

            Comment

            • Martin McCaffery
              Expert Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 575
              • Montgomery, Alabama

              #7
              I remember a simpler time when the local newspaper refused to run our ad for Sammy and Rosie Get Laid.

              Ahh, the good ole days.

              Comment

              • Leo Enticknap
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3572
                • Loma Linda, CA

                #8
                Until computer typesetting took over in the '90s, there was a centuries old tradition in the British press whereby if labor relations between management and printing press workers weren't good, the latter would express their displeasure by deliberately introducing embarrassing typos into the text. One infamous example was in a review of Michael Moore's Roger and Me, the headline of which omitted the "and."

                Comment

                • Ed Gordon
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 365
                  • Seattle, WA, USA

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
                  ..."Yeah. I remember that. There were three kraut tanks coming right up our arses - Monty didn't think there was any left by then. Then the bloody jeep broke down, didn't it? The sergeant opened up the bonnet, steam went all over the bloody place, and do you know what he said? [dramatic pause] He said 'The fucking fucker's fucking fucked! And so are we if we don't run like fuck!"

                  He suddenly and immediately had the full, undivided attention of everyone in the room: it was probably the first time that most of these teens had heard someone of their grandfather's age use language like that, and it had quite an effect.
                  This is a perfect example of the proper use of the word "fuck". Expletives are defined as "A word or phrase that expresses strong emotion". Using expletives casually diminish the the power of the words. There are times when only an expletive conveys how you feel. Sometimes an exclamation mark is needed. Ending every sentence with "!" is counterproductive.

                  Comment

                  • Randy Stankey
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 1388
                    • Erie, PA, USA

                    #10
                    People talk differently on the battlefield. Technically, speaking like that would have been appropriate if he was recounting a battlefield story. It just wasn't so appropriate when speaking to an audience of school children. Maybe if they were high schoolers.

                    Still, I probably would have told a different story...

                    Comment

                    Working...