David

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #1

    David

    Top notch animation. Pretty good story. I get a kick out of the look of some of the characters.

    The music and singing is just so-so but this is a pretty nice movie overall. There's stuff in it to keep everyone entertained.

    As with the other Angel movies, they have their begging at the end of the movie that I could really live without.
  • Leo Enticknap
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3572
    • Loma Linda, CA

    #2
    For about a millisecond I thought you meant this film of the same name, a 16mm print of which I once bought in a yard sale about 30 years ago for almost nothing.

    Comment

    • Frank Cox
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 2314
      • Melville Saskatchewan

      #3
      Hmmm... One is a Welsh guy digging rocks and the other one is a guy with a rock.

      Yeah, I can see how those two could get confused.

      Comment

      • Mike Blakesley
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 2021
        • Forsyth MT

        #4
        I hate the fundraising at the end of the Angel movies. It really turns me off to them.

        But, we don't get to play most of them anyway due to their oddball strategy of releasing them on or near holidays. Usually some blockbuster has our screen filled...Avatar 3, in this case.

        Comment

        • Mark Ogden
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 178
          • Little Falls, NJ

          #5
          Originally posted by Frank Cox
          There's stuff in it to keep everyone entertained.
          Does the movie get into how David knocked up Bathsheba and then had her husband murdered when he wouldn't own the baby? Or is it just the family friendly parts?
          Last edited by Mark Ogden; 12-21-2025, 06:25 PM.

          Comment

          • Leo Enticknap
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3572
            • Loma Linda, CA

            #6
            Given that this is an Angel Studios pic, I would suspect not.

            The Last Days of Sodom and Gomorrah not only fails include any sodomy, but also leaves out Genesis 19:30-36 (after having escaped from the ruins of Sodom, Lot's daughters get him drunk, "do the deed" while he is in no condition to object, and each becomes pregnant).

            I've often thought that if Tarantino ever wants to do a biblical epic, a remake of that one would be right up his alley (in more metaphorical ways than one)...

            Comment

            • Leo Enticknap
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3572
              • Loma Linda, CA

              #7
              Definitely just the family friendly parts. Problem was that it ended up disappointing the family!

              1 Samuel 17:51 (KJV): "Therefore David ran, and stood upon the Philistine, and took his sword, and drew it out of the sheath thereof, and slew him, and cut off his head therewith. And when the Philistines saw their champion was dead, they fled.​" (my emphasis)

              At the end of the Goliath scene, my 9-year old son complained, loudly, "Dad! Why didn't he chop Goliath's head off? Did he forget?"

              There was no fundraising pitch when we saw it, but this was on the seat-back screen of a Delta A330, en route back from visiting relatives in the UK over Christmas. Presumably they left that out of the airline version, for some reason. I also wondered if the head chopping had been cut from the airline version, too (on the basis that really young kids in nearby seats could catch sight of it and be upset), but looking around online, I found many other comments from people who saw the movie in theaters, noting its omission.

              IMHO, there is definitely a market opportunity for Old Testament movies that include the bits they don't mention in Sabbath School...

              Comment

              • Frank Cox
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 2314
                • Melville Saskatchewan

                #8
                Presumably they left that out of the airline version, for some reason.
                Probably because they want you to whip out your cell phone and scan the qr code to give them money, and that wouldn't work out well on a plane.

                Comment

                • Leo Enticknap
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3572
                  • Loma Linda, CA

                  #9
                  Wifi Internet access on planes is becoming increasingly available. Southwest offers it for $8 per flight on many of their aircraft, though not all: it's good enough for email and browsing, though in my experience not fast and solid enough to use Teamviewer or transfer larger files reliably. I don't think it was offered on the Delta transatlantic flight we took last week (though I wasn't looking for it): I'm guessing that the plane was one of the older A330s they inherited from Northwest, and therefore near enough to EOL that it doesn't make economic sense for them to retrofit it. The cabin looked pretty worn and generally "noughties."

                  Comment

                  • Mike Blakesley
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 2021
                    • Forsyth MT

                    #10
                    IMHO, there is definitely a market opportunity for Old Testament movies that include the bits they don't mention in Sabbath School...
                    Yeah, I have yet to see a Bible with a version of Exodus that has that famous quote "Oh Moses, you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool!" as featured in "The Ten Commandments." (I know, I know, that quote would have been from the part of Moses' life that isn't detailed in the Bible, but I couldn't resist.)

                    Comment

                    • Martin McCaffery
                      Expert Film Handler
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 575
                      • Montgomery, Alabama

                      #11
                      YEah, an hour and a half of "begats" would really sell the popcorn

                      Comment

                      • Jon Dent
                        Pro Film Handler
                        • Jan 2021
                        • 420
                        • Thief River Falls, MN USA

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
                        At the end of the Goliath scene, my 9-year old son complained, loudly, "Dad! Why didn't he chop Goliath's head off? Did he forget?"
                        David takes a very Disney approach in that it shaves off pretty much all the darkness except for the Amalekites, which were pretty creepy for a kids movie.

                        The songs were pretty generic, forgettable and tacked on, but the animation was genuinely good, even spectacular at times.

                        Then the studio goes and cheapens the whole experience with what amounts to a 'plate passing' at the end, trying to guilt you into donating so those who are more unfortunate get a chance to see the movie. Seems legit on the surface, but when you really think about it, it feels more than a bit tone deaf. Yes, let's donate money to Angel Studios so poor people can go and see the latest Angel Studios film. Forget food, clothing and electricity, let's just send them to the movies! If Angel Studios really felt it was that important for people to see this film, they'd make attempts to screen the movie for free. I look around and I don't see that happening... They did this crass sales pitch on "King of Kings" too, and it felt just as gross there.

                        Back to the topic: Liked the movie just fine, but can't stand Angel Studios' exploitation of their audience. The end.

                        Comment

                        Working...