Disclosure Day 2026

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Terry Monohan
    Pro Film Handler
    • Mar 2020
    • 325
    • San Francisco CA

    #1

    Disclosure Day 2026

    The new Steven Spielberg movie 'Disclosure Day' was a nice UFO entertaining film.. A little slow at the start, Watched It on opening day at the Cinelux Scotts Valley 9 in Scotts Valley CA on one of their large curved screens theatre #7,

    Too bad the Santa Cruz area has no 70mm,Imax, 4DX or Screen X cinemas, only a few D Box boring places. Maybe someday either Westrwind Cinelux or Landmark (DelMar) will get on the ball and give the tourist/college town some new features of presentation in place of DCP. SC has no 35mm film places either.

    The SV9 had a nice matinee crowd mainly older people that saw ET when It came out I bet. The scope image was nice and clean with a great black level Stereo surround 7.1 Dolby sound had some nice surround effects. Emily Blunt as the TV weather girl did a great job along with the other cast members like Colin Firth and Colman Domingo. The last 20 minutes of the movie really made the UFO story come alive with the hidden military footage never before shown to the public. The movie must stand out If you are lucky to watch the many 70mm film prints showing around the USA.

    When the UFO/Alien people do arrive for a visit to Earth someday from another planet after watching this movie you may be more open and prepared or shocked that our government people have kept the facts hidden for years even though people have seen them and footage is kept locked up.

    Hope they will be in a friendly mode not attack mode.
  • Mike Blakesley
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2021
    • Forsyth MT

    #2
    They'll probably be in friendly mode, but the military of whatever country they appoach will kill them.

    Comment

    • Marcel Birgelen
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3619
      • Maastricht, NL

      #3
      I think I'll withhold final judgement for this movie until I've had the time to process it a bit more... It's not that it's so complex that you need the time to process, it's simply that I'm just currently unable to form a strong opinion. The movie is getting some serious criticism from all sides, but I cannot really place the criticism yet...

      The movie was distinctively Spielberg... The camera work, the thematic undertones, the cinematography itself, but it lacked a bit of the real blockbuster feel at times.

      Comment

      • Harold Hallikainen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1071
        • Tucson AZ

        #4
        I'm not a fan of science fiction movies, and this confirmed my dislike. I thought it was overproduced with blockbuster characteristics. My wife thought it was stupid.

        Comment

        • Mark Ogden
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 178
          • Little Falls, NJ

          #5
          This was one of the saddest movies I've seen in a long time, but not because of anything in the film. Right now, the two hottest and most discussed movies in the country, Backrooms and Obsession, were each made by twenty-something You Tube content creators for very small budgets, and they're killing it. A month after its release I can barely find a seat for Obsession. Meanwhile, instead of coming up with something new and original, here's 80 year old Spielberg trying to show that he still has it by recycling his fifty-year-old Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, another movie that didn't make a lick of sense. It's all the same stuff; cross country chase, mysterious government organization that seems to know a lot that the audience doesn't, soaring John Williams score, bug-eyed aliens, massive gaps in logic and plot holes that get explained away with a few tossed-off lines (or not at all), and the inclusion of a classic Disney song to boot. Judging by the social media reaction to the picture, he's not putting this over on anyone. There is one redeeming thing about it though, and that's Emily Blunt, who pulls a tremendous performance out of a terrible story.

          He’s made some great movies, but it’s probably time to give up the car keys, or make smaller films.
          Last edited by Mark Ogden; 06-16-2026, 12:09 PM.

          Comment

          • Jim Cassedy
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1450
            • San Francisco

            #6
            I haven't had time to watch the movie. In fact the only parts I've really seen is the
            few minutes right before and after each change-overs. While business has been
            "OK", I think it's had the weakest ticket sales of any of the 70mm movies we've
            played in the past 4 years. I think we've only had one sold-out show. The rest
            have averaged out with the auditorium being about 3/4 full, which isn't bad, but,
            as I said earlier, all our other 70mm shows have done better.

            I've overheard both positive and negative comments from guests after the movie.


            Comment

            • Marcel Birgelen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3619
              • Maastricht, NL

              #7
              Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen
              I'm not a fan of science fiction movies, and this confirmed my dislike.
              I always thought that all nerds like sci-fi movies.

              A week has passed since watching the movie and my mind still isn't set on this one... and I'm not sure if that's good thing...

              Comment

              • Jon Dent
                Pro Film Handler
                • Jan 2021
                • 420
                • Thief River Falls, MN USA

                #8
                Spielberg knows how to frame a shot and move the camera. Even the limited action scenes were suspenseful and a step above what we usually get. The rest of the technical aspects were more mixed. Visually it borrowed almost every element of the Minority Report playbook, with almost none of the same impact. Gritty desaturated blues, got it. Got anything else? Despite all the praise being heaped on John Williams, I thought this score was one of his most anonymous. It certainly sounds like his work, but having seen the first Harry Potter earlier in the day, I can honestly say it's nowhere near the same league as that one.

                The script was limp, with poor character development and really hazy motivations, and while I get where Spielberg's heart is, the ending is completely unbelievable even as pure fantasy.

                Overall it was really underwhelming.

                Comment

                Working...