Lots of people seem to love the Minions, and I admit they ARE cute and clever and all that, but to me they're kind of a one-joke thing. I mean, they're stupid, they're mischievous, they're indestructible. They never seem to get mad, sad, or scared. So you never worry about them, and you can't relate to them.
They also all look the same (except for whatever clothes they wear), meaning they're probably cheap to animate, and they're all voiced by the same guy (and a bunch of computers, no doubt) so there's zero chance of some mouthy "actress" torpedoing the movie with political and/or sexual comments right around release date, as happened recently with "Supergirl" and last year's "Snow White." From an economic standpoint they're a work of genius.
They also speak mostly in gibberish, with strong Spanish overtones. If you don't believe that, turn on the subtitles for any Minions movie and start reading. You'll probably want to blow your brains out within about five minutes, or at least I did. Truth be told, the Minions don't need to talk. They communicate through actions more than anything. It's too bad they weren't around in the silent movie era, they'd probably have been a hit then too. I don't know if they overdub these guys in other languages for other countries, but I suspect it would be kind of a challenge.
Screenshot 2026-07-09 202952.png
In the story, the Minions dart from place to place looking for a villian to work for (and wind up either injuring, obliteraing or just pissing off all of them) and somehow end up in 1920s Hollywood, where for some reason they decide to make a movie and wind up aving to save the planet in the process. Or something like that.
So is this one any better than previous installments? I would say it's not as good as your typical Despicable Me movie (owing to the absence of Steve Carell), but it's the best of the three Minions movies. The animation is fun. The dialogue is pretty much secondary to the story. I think you could probably get most of it even watching it with the sound off.
For me it was kind of tiring. The reviews on it are mostly good, because it's kind of a love letter to old movies, I guess. I think that point will mostly be lost on the audience for this movie.
One scene that bugged me, because it made even less sense than the rest of the movie, was the train scene. The Minions are on a steam train, which runs out of track, so it just crashes through the end-of-track block and keeps on going, straight as an arrow, for about five or six minutes, digging up the asphalt the whole time. A real train, of course, would veer off to one side or the other and be stopped within a hundred feet of so...but wouldn't be as funny, I guess. Movies don't seem to think trains need actual track to ride on, for some reason. (A similar thing happened in The Polar Express.)
The opening and closing credits were a lot of fun. The sound mix was ordinary. The story is typical Illumination maniacal fun. It's too bad this one didn't come out before Toy Story 5, which is far better. My rating is 2 out of 5 stars.
They also all look the same (except for whatever clothes they wear), meaning they're probably cheap to animate, and they're all voiced by the same guy (and a bunch of computers, no doubt) so there's zero chance of some mouthy "actress" torpedoing the movie with political and/or sexual comments right around release date, as happened recently with "Supergirl" and last year's "Snow White." From an economic standpoint they're a work of genius.
They also speak mostly in gibberish, with strong Spanish overtones. If you don't believe that, turn on the subtitles for any Minions movie and start reading. You'll probably want to blow your brains out within about five minutes, or at least I did. Truth be told, the Minions don't need to talk. They communicate through actions more than anything. It's too bad they weren't around in the silent movie era, they'd probably have been a hit then too. I don't know if they overdub these guys in other languages for other countries, but I suspect it would be kind of a challenge.
Screenshot 2026-07-09 202952.png
In the story, the Minions dart from place to place looking for a villian to work for (and wind up either injuring, obliteraing or just pissing off all of them) and somehow end up in 1920s Hollywood, where for some reason they decide to make a movie and wind up aving to save the planet in the process. Or something like that.
So is this one any better than previous installments? I would say it's not as good as your typical Despicable Me movie (owing to the absence of Steve Carell), but it's the best of the three Minions movies. The animation is fun. The dialogue is pretty much secondary to the story. I think you could probably get most of it even watching it with the sound off.
For me it was kind of tiring. The reviews on it are mostly good, because it's kind of a love letter to old movies, I guess. I think that point will mostly be lost on the audience for this movie.
One scene that bugged me, because it made even less sense than the rest of the movie, was the train scene. The Minions are on a steam train, which runs out of track, so it just crashes through the end-of-track block and keeps on going, straight as an arrow, for about five or six minutes, digging up the asphalt the whole time. A real train, of course, would veer off to one side or the other and be stopped within a hundred feet of so...but wouldn't be as funny, I guess. Movies don't seem to think trains need actual track to ride on, for some reason. (A similar thing happened in The Polar Express.)
The opening and closing credits were a lot of fun. The sound mix was ordinary. The story is typical Illumination maniacal fun. It's too bad this one didn't come out before Toy Story 5, which is far better. My rating is 2 out of 5 stars.
Comment