The Odyssey (2026)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jon Dent
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2021
    • 420
    • Thief River Falls, MN USA

    #1

    The Odyssey (2026)

    Man, that was a whole lot of movie.

    Three hours long and covering a LOT of ground, watching this sprawling epic is not for the faint of heart. It's full of big cinematic images, massive action scenes, and genuinely tense encounters. It's huge, and you feel every inch of that scale across the entire runtime. Thankfully, it's also pretty good, mostly.

    To get the bad out of the way: this movie frequently suffers from Nolan's maddening preference for extremely loud sound FX that are pushed so hard into the red that audible distortion pops all over the place. It makes sections of this movie sound like a shitty wash of noise. He's been on this extreme volume kick ever since The Dark Knight Rises, and it's just tiring at this point. I set our volume at 4.5 expecting this, and it was still overpowering. Thankfully there are some improvements: the dialog was perfectly understandable, and the percussive, odd score from Ludwig Göransson was kept at a reasonable level.

    Now that that's out of the way, the rest of the movie is mostly flawless technically, with a great deal of it appearing to be shot practically. There are certainly visual effects at work in several sequences, but it's to Nolan's credit that it's rarely clear where the lines between full sized props, miniatures, forced perspective, compositing tricks, and full CGI lie. Yes, he allowed CGI back into the toolbag, and the results are all the better for it.

    Acting wise, Maaaat Daaamon does as well as he can given the enormity of everything surrounding him. Anne Hathaway and Tom Holland fare a bit better, as their scenes are quieter with less distractions. Robert Pattinson's character is one dimensional, but he still seems to be having fun playing an absolutely slimeball. Everyone else fades into the gloom, with only John Leguizamo making any real headway in separating himself from the mass.

    Audience wise this one seems to be doing pretty well. We might not have any more celebrity actors drawing in crowds, but Nolan's name looks like it's still bringing people in.
  • Harold Hallikainen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1072
    • Tucson AZ

    #2
    I saw a 70 mm print of this. Not really my kind of movie (one battle scene or sinking ship after another). The image was quite dark. Even the credits were hard to read. I really liked what Nolan did with Oppenheimer, but not this movie.

    Comment

    • Jon Dent
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jan 2021
      • 420
      • Thief River Falls, MN USA

      #3
      Yeah, it was pretty dark at times. It didn't cause issues for me outside of the big ending fight where the murk made it a bit hard to follow what was happening.

      Given how many different formats this movie is being released in, I should probably mention I saw it in generic 2K digital.

      Comment

      • Marcel Birgelen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3619
        • Maastricht, NL

        #4
        I've seen it in 70mm and I don't think it's my kind of movie. While I do respect the cinematography and the efforts put into this to capture this on unwieldy IMAX film, the story really bored me to death and back again. I guess that it doesn't help that we all have heard those stories before one way or another.

        The dialog in this movie felt templated and cold, Nolan apparently still cannot film really engaging death scenes and should maybe stick to hyper-realistic depictions of SciFi concepts, instead of trying to do fantasy, because those fantasy scenes were both ugly and felt completely out of place.

        Comment

        • James Biggins
          Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 55
          • Leicester, U.K.

          #5
          Saw it in digital iMax last week. An OK movie, but not Nolan’s best. The use of modern slang in an historical(?) epic didn’t sit well with me.

          Way overhyped, and way, way too loud.

          Comment

          • Frank Cox
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 2314
            • Melville Saskatchewan

            #6
            I wonder if people who haven't read the Odyssey will understand everything that's going on. For example, I'm not sure if they actually introduced Athena by name in the movie. If they did, I missed it. She just kind of showed up (and continued to show up occasionally off-and-on through the rest of the movie). If I didn't know who she was I'm not sure I would have figured it out.

            This is one of those movies where you can only understand about half of the dialog. The rest is either muffled, mumbled, or overpowered by everything else that's going on.

            The floor was shaking through the whole show so they sure get some heavy use out of the low frequency sound.

            Ultimately it's just ok as far as I'm concerned. I had hoped it would be better, really, but it's not great. And really long....

            Comment

            • Ryan Gallagher
              Film God
              • Nov 2022
              • 2855
              • Austin, Texas, USA

              #7
              I have some rather literary friends that have had a weeks long rant going about the adaptation. It also depends which translation of the text you prefer! But creating a discussion is a form of success.

              It should be recorded that the author of the translation the film was adapted from was not a fan of the result. lol.

              Comment

              • Frank Cox
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 2314
                • Melville Saskatchewan

                #8
                One of my regular customers came out after the show and said, "What have I just watched here?" So I explained the story and he said, "Now it makes a lot more sense."

                So as I thought, folks who haven't read the story won't understand everything that's going on. It doesn't help that the timeline bounces back and forth, as well.

                Comment

                • Mike Blakesley
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 2021
                  • Forsyth MT

                  #9
                  We watched the new Spider-Man today and I didn't understand that story, so I went and read the Wikipedia synopsis and after that, I still only "sorta" understood it. So it's just a thing with today's movies. I don't know if it's over-complexity for the sake of "artistry" or just lazy overstuffed writing.

                  Comment

                  • Marcel Birgelen
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3619
                    • Maastricht, NL

                    #10
                    I haven't seen the new Spider-Man movie yet and I also wasn't planning on seeing it, so I can't judge that movie yet. Apparently, the audience likes it, which Is, hopefully, good for business.

                    It's interesting how different people look at those movies. Like I indicated before, I was so bored by the silly and slow-moving storyline that I had difficulties focussing myself, especially since all the little sub-plots in the first half of the movie were so damn repetitive, like Harold put it: one battle after another. I remember that by the time the intermission hit (the theater did stage an intermission), we were predicting the ending almost frame by frame and that was essentially how the movie ended...

                    The "playing with time" is a Nolan trademark, but I found it to be an utter gimmick in this movie. Memento was constructed around two stories moving towards each other in the opposite direction, in Inception, time was a big part of the central concept, with Interstellar it was, mostly, how time works on an intergalactic scale with some added drama, in Tennet, it was part of the mindf*ck the movie is based around, but this was just an old fantasy tale and the time jumps were just put in there to make the story "more interesting". To me, that felt unnatural and gimmicky, like you'd tell the story of Little Red Riding Hood starting with the wolf drowning in the well...

                    I guess all the nonsense spectacle devoid of story the last 20+ years that manifested itself on screen has made me rather numb to that spectacle.I'd rather pay for a compelling story rather than two hours of random stuff flying around...

                    Comment

                    • Mike Blakesley
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 2021
                      • Forsyth MT

                      #11
                      We're playing this now. The scene about 35 minutes in (where the cyclops gets shot in the eye, I think) is probably the loudest thing I've ever heard over our sound system. It scared me a little bit when I first heard it, thinking somehow somebody had gotten to the sound system and cranked it up to max. I had our unit set to 5.7 (which is what we use for most movies anymore) and it was just too loud overall and generated a lot of complaints, so I turned it down to 5.3 and we still got complaints, so I moved it to 5.0. Since then it's been fine.

                      It's bringing in a lot of senior citizens. One guy said yesterday, "Well, that's not the Odyssey I remember." But most people are really liking it. We had sustained applause at the end of the Friday show.

                      Coyote Vs. Acme is coming in next and I got an email today from the director saying please, please, please play this movie at 7.0. So we'll see how that sounds.

                      Comment

                      • Frank Cox
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 2314
                        • Melville Saskatchewan

                        #12
                        We live in an apartment behind the screen. My wife told me that this is The Odyssey is the first movie ever where she wore earplugs while she was in our apartment while the movie was on.

                        I'm pretty sure this is the loudest movie I've ever played. Some movies have loud parts, a gunfight or a big kaboom, but this is just sustained volume-on-blast through the entire show.

                        Comment

                        • Mike Blakesley
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 2021
                          • Forsyth MT

                          #13
                          It's definitely got tremendous low end. Our subwoofers should have zero dust on them after this week.

                          Comment

                          • Jon Dent
                            Pro Film Handler
                            • Jan 2021
                            • 420
                            • Thief River Falls, MN USA

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Mike Blakesley
                            It's definitely got tremendous low end. Our subwoofers should have zero dust on them after this week.
                            Just be careful it doesn't toast your tweeter horns. I'm glad we're done with playing Odyssey.

                            Comment

                            • Mike Blakesley
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 2021
                              • Forsyth MT

                              #15
                              This movie has done well, but I'm glad to see it go. Every single night we've had something weird happen.

                              One night we got "swatted" -- some dickhead viewing our downtown on the local webcam called the cops and told them we were "being robbed," but of course it was nothing. Cop came in, we gave him a free popcorn to go. I hope the swatter enjoyed watching it.

                              One night, we had a party of five come in, one of whom was in a wheelchair. We put them in the wheelchair row, which has two wheelchair spaces and five regular seats -- so there was one seat left over. It's almost unheard of for us to get TWO wheelchairs at once, but on this night, after the movie had started, this bunch of very loud "hillbilly"-type people showed up along with their grandmaw, who was in a wheelchair. So we had to put one of them in a different seat near the wheelchair row, but they were so obnoxious about wanting to all sit together that some of the other people were asking to move seats away from them. Then it was constantly "Grandma's cold, it's too loud, where's the restroom, can I get a refill," all in loud voices of course.

                              Last night we had this huge family with two kids, one grandpa, one drunk fella, and four regular people show up. Of course the movie is not for kids and they were bored. The drunk kept noisily going in and out to smoke cigarettes. One of the other guys stood in the aisleway during a quiet part of the movie and said,'How the hell do I get out of here?" in a loud voice. Eventually the drunk, two of the kids and one of the parents left early.

                              Two nights ago a lady was walking down the balcony stairs toward the lobby, spotted a friend coming from the downstairs aisle, started talking to her, lost her footing and fell down the last couple of stairs, and hit her head on the concession wall. She went to the hospital to get checked out because she's on blood thinners. (She's fine, we checked.)

                              Almost every night we had somebody show up with a baby, or one or more toddlers. Each baby inevitably cried during the loud parts. Tonight's baby, at least the parents decided to leave when the kid started crying. We gave them passes since the movie had just started.

                              Then we had way more of the usual annoyances like people who have never been here before and can't seem to find the auditorium, even though it's straight in from the front doors and you can see and hear the picture from the lobby; people who can't figure out the website; and people who want to swap tickets for a different night, different seats, etc. And, about ten years worth of "it's too loud" complaints.

                              So yeah, I'm glad to send this one down the road.
                              Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 08-27-2026, 09:48 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...