Breaking news: Movie Industry Dying Again

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mike Blakesley
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2021
    • Forsyth MT

    #1

    Breaking news: Movie Industry Dying Again

    Here we go again -- another slump caused by movies that don't catch fire, followed by another round of media spewing that the exhibition industry is dying. What is this, an even dozen or more times that we've died? A month from now they'll all be crowing about the amazing Zootopia, Wicked, Avatar numbers and saying how they "saved" the business.

    I'm not completely delusional. I realize that the "mid-level" hits have been sorely missing in action. This is totally and completely due to the studios collapsing the windows, combined with consumers insisting that a night out at the movies should cost the same as staying home in front of their TVs. I don't know how you get that genie back in the bottle. But they need to do something drastic or this "blockbuster only" mentality isn't going to go away.

    I always have hated being a single screen but lately I'm feeling a little more grateful for it, if it wasn't for blockbusters being released on top of each other like Zootopia 2 and Wicked 2 were. I can't imagine having to fill a 24-plex in this environmnent. No wonder they have cut staff.
  • Ryan Gallagher
    Film God
    • Nov 2022
    • 2855
    • Austin, Texas, USA

    #2
    Are you reacting to an article? I’d like to read it.

    Comment

    • Mike Blakesley
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 2021
      • Forsyth MT

      #3
      I'll see if I can find the one I'm reacting to, but there have been a few.

      Comment

      Working...