I question someone's mental stability when they think the 2nd amendment is more important than human life. There is something wrong with people with this view and the majority of America agrees with me and 90% of people in the rest of the world. We can greatly restrict gun ownership and help to protect human life while keeping the 2nd amendment intact. Basically, keep the crazies from having guns and then selling them on the black market to criminals. Remember that every gun used by a criminal was sold legally to someone at some point. It was then either sold privately because no background checks are required, or it was "stolen". Having universal background checks and gun storage laws would greatly reduce the supply of guns on the black market.
Let me rephrase my thoughts on this one. When I took my two "permit to carry" classes, they talked about defending myself or others in the terms of offense vs defense. In Minnesota, the expectation is that you're legally able to defend your life or other's if there's a threat. This means retreat or shelter in place if possible and only use deadly force if your life is in imminent danger. So someone breaks into my house and I tell them "leave now or I'll shoot". If they leave, I can't chase after them and shoot them in the back or it's likely I'll be charged with murder. If they continue towards me and I fear for my life, I can use force until the threat is over. So if they're injured on my floor and no longer dangerous to me, I can't keep shooting until they're dead or it's murder. I would call 911 and let the police and EMS come. If they die as a result of the force used to stop the threat, that would likely be self defense and I'd be fine. Executing them if they're injured and no longer a threat would put me in prison, as it should.
It really isn't much different than Police in regards where they escalate to deadly force only when necessary and then immediately de-escalate as the threat to them decreases like if a suspect has been shot and is laying on the ground and isn't using a weapon any longer. I volunteered with our sheriff's department and we had use of force training like when to use OC spray, taser, firearms, etc. If someone is just yelling at you and doesn't present a deadly threat, you can't just shoot them. You start with verbal commands first and if they escalate, we can escalate to spray or taser for example. And only if we fear for our life can we use a firearm or other deadly force.
So basically, you can defend human life but not property. And any view of going on the offensive and chasing a threat to use deadly force would likely be considered murder. This seems fair to me and every state should have the same. Stand your ground laws give gun nuts the excuse to blast anyone for any reason. Even teens doing dumb, harmless pranks could end up dead for no reason other than the homeowner is a gun nut protecting their property with stand your ground protections. Look at the 3-4 incidents of young people ending up in the wrong driveway or ringing the doorbell at a wrong home getting shot and injured or killed. There was a few cases like 2 months ago. The people doing the shooting were gun nuts who have been brainwashed by news into being scared of everything. It's very sad to see happen. I can't imagine a world where I would shoot someone for pulling into my driveway or ringing my doorbell at night.
Let me rephrase my thoughts on this one. When I took my two "permit to carry" classes, they talked about defending myself or others in the terms of offense vs defense. In Minnesota, the expectation is that you're legally able to defend your life or other's if there's a threat. This means retreat or shelter in place if possible and only use deadly force if your life is in imminent danger. So someone breaks into my house and I tell them "leave now or I'll shoot". If they leave, I can't chase after them and shoot them in the back or it's likely I'll be charged with murder. If they continue towards me and I fear for my life, I can use force until the threat is over. So if they're injured on my floor and no longer dangerous to me, I can't keep shooting until they're dead or it's murder. I would call 911 and let the police and EMS come. If they die as a result of the force used to stop the threat, that would likely be self defense and I'd be fine. Executing them if they're injured and no longer a threat would put me in prison, as it should.
It really isn't much different than Police in regards where they escalate to deadly force only when necessary and then immediately de-escalate as the threat to them decreases like if a suspect has been shot and is laying on the ground and isn't using a weapon any longer. I volunteered with our sheriff's department and we had use of force training like when to use OC spray, taser, firearms, etc. If someone is just yelling at you and doesn't present a deadly threat, you can't just shoot them. You start with verbal commands first and if they escalate, we can escalate to spray or taser for example. And only if we fear for our life can we use a firearm or other deadly force.
So basically, you can defend human life but not property. And any view of going on the offensive and chasing a threat to use deadly force would likely be considered murder. This seems fair to me and every state should have the same. Stand your ground laws give gun nuts the excuse to blast anyone for any reason. Even teens doing dumb, harmless pranks could end up dead for no reason other than the homeowner is a gun nut protecting their property with stand your ground protections. Look at the 3-4 incidents of young people ending up in the wrong driveway or ringing the doorbell at a wrong home getting shot and injured or killed. There was a few cases like 2 months ago. The people doing the shooting were gun nuts who have been brainwashed by news into being scared of everything. It's very sad to see happen. I can't imagine a world where I would shoot someone for pulling into my driveway or ringing my doorbell at night.
Comment