Every August for the past 18. years, I've worked projection at the Telluride FIlm Festival.
The venue I was assigned to most often is the "Palm Theater", a performing arts center
that is part of a school complex. In addition to digtial and 35mm film projection, it has a
full stage with a complete lighting system and scenery fly-loft, carpentry shop, etc.
Even though the average elevation of Telluride is almost 9,000ft ASL, it is located in
a canyon, and so the entire town is surrounded on 3 sides by mountains or very big
hills. On Friday (7/17) a torrential rainstorm caused a mudslide on the mountain or
hill behind the Palm theater. According to news reports, the wall of water and mud
smashed through one of the big doors, which I think was the one of the big loading
doors that goes right onto the stage, causing the mess you see here:
Videos I've seen show water gushing into the auditorium from somewhere backstage. Note the
handrail on the right, which would be where the steps are to walk down from the stage to the
auditorium level. (So, if you stepped off the front of the stage now, you'd be in chest-high water)
PalmFlood_3.jpg
The whole 1st row is completely submerged. Note the fly-ropes in the background. Fortunately, the
cinema screen, the speakers and the masking machinery are all attached to a motorized frame which
gets hoisted into the fly-loft when not being used. Luckily, they were safely hoisted well above the
prevailing water table when the water and mud breached the back doors.
PalmFlood_2.jpg
Even these seats, which are apx midway into the auditorium from the screen, are mostly
submerged. The lobby, all the backstage dressing rooms, and the scenery shop were also flooded.
PalmFlood_1.jpg
( Photo Credit: Telluride Daily News)
The Palm shares space with another, smaller venue in the same building. That venue is most likely under some
amount of water too, although I haven't seen photos. The Telluride Film Fest is a little over a month away. I'm
not sure what it's going to take to get this all cleaned up and dried out. They've already booked all my travel
and lodging arrangements, so I assume I'm stil going. Maybe this year they'll just hand me a mop to help clean
up. (and, honestly, if I wasn't working full-time ODYSSEY shows, I'd offer to travel out there at my own expense
and volunteer to help with the cleanup, as I'm sure many townspeople are doing. Telluride has been very good
to me, and I've met some great people there, so I wish I could give something back to the community. ) I'm not
sure where I'd stay until the festival starts, since lodging is pretty expensive, even for me. I suppose I could bring
an inflatable pool float and sleep in the theater. .
The venue I was assigned to most often is the "Palm Theater", a performing arts center
that is part of a school complex. In addition to digtial and 35mm film projection, it has a
full stage with a complete lighting system and scenery fly-loft, carpentry shop, etc.
Even though the average elevation of Telluride is almost 9,000ft ASL, it is located in
a canyon, and so the entire town is surrounded on 3 sides by mountains or very big
hills. On Friday (7/17) a torrential rainstorm caused a mudslide on the mountain or
hill behind the Palm theater. According to news reports, the wall of water and mud
smashed through one of the big doors, which I think was the one of the big loading
doors that goes right onto the stage, causing the mess you see here:
Videos I've seen show water gushing into the auditorium from somewhere backstage. Note the
handrail on the right, which would be where the steps are to walk down from the stage to the
auditorium level. (So, if you stepped off the front of the stage now, you'd be in chest-high water)
PalmFlood_3.jpg
The whole 1st row is completely submerged. Note the fly-ropes in the background. Fortunately, the
cinema screen, the speakers and the masking machinery are all attached to a motorized frame which
gets hoisted into the fly-loft when not being used. Luckily, they were safely hoisted well above the
prevailing water table when the water and mud breached the back doors.
PalmFlood_2.jpg
Even these seats, which are apx midway into the auditorium from the screen, are mostly
submerged. The lobby, all the backstage dressing rooms, and the scenery shop were also flooded.
PalmFlood_1.jpg
( Photo Credit: Telluride Daily News)
The Palm shares space with another, smaller venue in the same building. That venue is most likely under some
amount of water too, although I haven't seen photos. The Telluride Film Fest is a little over a month away. I'm
not sure what it's going to take to get this all cleaned up and dried out. They've already booked all my travel
and lodging arrangements, so I assume I'm stil going. Maybe this year they'll just hand me a mop to help clean
up. (and, honestly, if I wasn't working full-time ODYSSEY shows, I'd offer to travel out there at my own expense
and volunteer to help with the cleanup, as I'm sure many townspeople are doing. Telluride has been very good
to me, and I've met some great people there, so I wish I could give something back to the community. ) I'm not
sure where I'd stay until the festival starts, since lodging is pretty expensive, even for me. I suppose I could bring
an inflatable pool float and sleep in the theater. .
Comment