Barco Series 2 B and C Projector Firmware Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #1

    Barco Series 2 B and C Projector Firmware Thread

    I realize that it is very late in the game for a series 2 thread (any S2, except maybe Sharp/NEC because they call most all of theirs as some form of S2). But I didn't want to clutter the S4 thread with S2 info. Note, the "S" and "E" projectors follow a different firmware path.

    In any event Barco has issued version 2.10.127 for their S2 projectors.

    The big change is:
    • Support for new lightsource configuration on 2nd generation cinema controller for CLP/BLP projectors.
    Note, if you are a Baro S1 owner (e.g. DP2000 and projectors of that era)...Barco hasn't posted the firmware to download for those projectors for quite some time.
    Last edited by Steve Guttag; 08-14-2025, 04:11 PM.
  • Leo Enticknap
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3572
    • Loma Linda, CA

    #2
    Thanks Steve.

    DR4K-xxL projectors also follow a different firmware path, along with S and E. However, none have had an update for quite some time, and the only scenario I can imagine in which they would get one now is to add support for new hardware if and as necessary (e.g. when the ICMP-XS comes out).

    Comment

    • Steve Guttag
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3777
      • Annapolis, MD

      #3
      I'll admit, the "L"s are not on my radar (we have zero in our service and I think they'll become more and more of a unicorn...like the early S1 stuff that never had huge numbers. I do find it odd that Barco isn't even posting download links for any of the S1 firmware anymore, since they are still showing the page and listing parts, despite them being EOS...there are quite a few parts that go to both S1 and S2 projectors.

      Comment

      • Leo Enticknap
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3572
        • Loma Linda, CA

        #4
        I have one remaining DP4K-30L that I care for, and will not shed any tears when it is eventually retired. The picture quality is absolutely great, but swapping out those f-----g air dryers and the chiller coolant flush that involves having to do major disassembly, deal with an old app that doesn't like Windows 11 very much, and wrangle enough of the liquid to float the Titanic is not a prospect that fills me with joy.

        Apart from the air dryers, they are pretty reliable, though.

        Comment

        • Christos Gartaganis
          Film Handler
          • Sep 2021
          • 53
          • Athens Greece

          #5
          In my opinion, the L-series are still the pinnacle of digital projectors with respect to picture quality​. However, their high price tag made it difficult for them to achieve commercial success.​ I wonder how many of the L- series projectors are still in service worldwide.

          Comment

          • Leo Enticknap
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3572
            • Loma Linda, CA

            #6
            2.10.128 for Series 2/3 is now available for download.

            image.png​
            The website lists the regular B and C series models as being applicable, but from the use of "light source" above, I'm guessing that this update is only relevant to laser retrofitted and BLP/CLP variants.

            Comment

            • Marcel Birgelen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3619
              • Maastricht, NL

              #7
              Originally posted by Christos Gartaganis
              In my opinion, the L-series are still the pinnacle of digital projectors with respect to picture quality​. However, their high price tag made it difficult for them to achieve commercial success.​ I wonder how many of the L- series projectors are still in service worldwide.
              Sorry for the off-topic information dump... The Kinepolis chain based their "Laser Ultra" PLF product on the DP4K-60L and afaik, most of them are still running. I guess their path forward is either to abandon their own PLF product, since they've been pushing IMAX into many of their locations or go the LS4K route...

              ​

              Comment

              • Leo Enticknap
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3572
                • Loma Linda, CA

                #8
                I haven't installed and/or serviced enough of them for this to be more than a subjective impression, but that subjective impression is that the DP4K-Ls are a bit like Series 1 NECs: they will chug away almost for ever, but if and when they do go wrong, trying to fix them is an experience similar to being taken to a cellar and introduced to The Gimp.

                The last one I serviced was on a college campus, the facilities department of which had a cast iron rule stating that items of major capital equipment all had to be replaced after five years. So after around 15,000 laser hours on the clock and still to all intents and purposes a nearly new projector, it was retired and replaced with an SP4K-40BHC. I seriously lucked out on that projector having had no significant problems while it was in service. Given the air dryers and other crap that would have to be disassembled first, replacing a light engine in one would not be for the faint hearted.

                Comment

                • Leo Enticknap
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3572
                  • Loma Linda, CA

                  #9
                  Barco Communicator version 5.16.6 was released yesterday and is available to download. They appear to have discontinued the Linux version, as I only see Windows and Mac available. Release note:
                  • Support additional lightsource configurations (S+)
                  • Add ICP-D history in communicator
                  • Add latest version of Diagnostic reader
                  I'm hoping that they've fixed the bug whereby the diagnostic reader takes about ten minutes to open a package.

                  Comment

                  • Steve Guttag
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3777
                    • Annapolis, MD

                    #10
                    In case I have not mentioned it elsewhere, I've found that if you go above 2.10.118 on the Series 2 firmware, a Dolby DSS200 server may have periodic issues polling the projector for macros/presets. 2.10.118 has not exhibited the issue but all later versions through 2.10.128 have.

                    I do wish that Barco would notice that if you have had an ICP on line for some time, pulling a diagnostics package that includes the ICP will likely crash the projector (lose communication). Power cycling the projector will recover from the crash but the next diagnostics package will have the same problem (unless you untick the portion that gets the ICP logs) The only fix I've found to prevent the crash is to perform a rescue on the ICP (make sure you have a good clone of it before the rescue).

                    When I've mentioned it to Barco, they claim ignorance of the issue. So, I'm not hopeful.

                    Comment

                    • Dave Macaulay
                      Pro Film Handler
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 460
                      • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

                      #11
                      Oh Barco is aware. This has been happening for years. At least it works after a reboot, and recovery is the only option Barco gave me. Reinstalling from slot does not fix it.

                      Comment

                      • Leo Enticknap
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 3572
                        • Loma Linda, CA

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Steve Guttag
                        In case I have not mentioned it elsewhere, I've found that if you go above 2.10.118 on the Series 2 firmware, a Dolby DSS200 server may have periodic issues polling the projector for macros/presets. 2.10.118 has not exhibited the issue but all later versions through 2.10.128 have.
                        I can say with 99.9% confidence that this does not affect the 220. I don't have any DSS200+Barco S2 combos among my regular service customers anymore, but I do have an 11-plex, 8 screens of which are DSS220/cat745 plus Barco DP2K-15C or 20C (the three that aren't are an ICMP+, an IMS2000, and an IMS3000, installed after their predecessor cat745s kicked the bucket over the years). They are now old enough (installed new in 2011) that their RAID drives fail regularly and need replacing. When I swap them out, I always do a clean install of 4.9.6.4 rather than attempt a RAID rebuild (which isn't possible if the left-hand drive has borked, anyways): you get confirmation that the RAID condition is good far quicker, and I'm always at that site early enough in the morning that the DSS220 has ample time to download everything it needs from the TMS in time for the first show. The projectors are all on 2.10.127 currently, and have been above 121 for some time. The DSS220s haven't had any problem picking up the projector macro names and making them available as cues. I always check that, and re-upload the serial automation configuration, after running the config script and then rebooting immediately after the clean install.

                        Comment

                        • Steve Guttag
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 3777
                          • Annapolis, MD

                          #13
                          Leo, I believe it has more to do with the CAT745 than the DSS220. Where I was first made aware of the problem was in an art house triple. Two screens use CAT862 and one screen (4K) uses a CAT745. All servers are DSS200s. The CAT745 screen didn't have the issue but both of the CAT862 ones did. It would, typically, occur right after a weekly power cycle of the servers. Ironically, "the fix" was to reboot the affected server and it would then poll for the projector cues correctly.

                          It isn't an always sort of thing...just enough to be annoying. For sites where I have a non-Dolby Show Manager TMS, this hasn't been a problem since all of the cues are via the TMS and they call automation cues, not projector cues, directly. Conversely, my independents that utilized the mini-plex feature of the DSS servers, they are the ones that stumbled up on the problem. I'd say that over 90% of my DSS server installations are CAT862. We only used the CAT745 for HFR 3D (it was a think for The Hobbit, back when they were being specified) and 4K. Naturally, all of my "box server" type theatres, regardless of brand, are dropping with increasing frequency.

                          Comment

                          • Leo Enticknap
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 3572
                            • Loma Linda, CA

                            #14
                            I lost several during 2024, but the survivors all made it through 2025. The manager of the 11-plex mentioned above told me that he wants to get as much life as possible out of the current equipment, and is OK with a screen being down for a few days when an IMB finally goes. To preserve the cat745s and ICPs on life support for as long as possible, we're leaving the projectors on 24/7 apart from when maintenance necessitates a shutdown, and not attempting any further cat745 battery replacements. At the start of 2025 I told them to be prepared to lose 2-3 cat745s during the course of the year, but in the event, all eight are still OK. A few SV/IMBs I look after are still going, but I don't have any remaining GDC box servers among my regular service customers.

                            Comment

                            • Steve Guttag
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3777
                              • Annapolis, MD

                              #15
                              We have not changed our recommendations on powering equipment. We don't recommend powering projector 24/7 due to dirt being pumped through the projector.

                              We have a few GDC box servers going of both the SX-2001 (coax cable) and SX-2000AR (same IMB as the SX-3000). Most of the OS drives have been replaced now. Most of the CMOS batteries have also been replaced.

                              We didn't lose any CAT745s in 2025 but did retire some DSS200/CAT745 systems that were not keeping up with the various subtitling/caption needs of the site. We lost a few CAT862 systems after a 12-14 year run. They were also getting pretty sketchy on the KDMs where they were easily flooded to the point, you can to catch them at JUST the right time on boot up to purge the KDMs so that they would take any new ones. I wonder if doing a clean install of the CAT862 firmware and "reinstall all components" might have addressed that. The clean install would fix CAT862 issues but it isn't something I can do remotely and there is the reality of putting too much time/effort into such an aged piece that isn't supported by any OEM (parts wise). Not relying on the ICP for subtitles is a big plus.

                              I have one complex with Showvault/IMBs and one or two of them are starting to get sketchy (one had to give up on HFR during Avatar). I have another DCP2K4 that remains strong and just recently got all batteries up as well as a new OS drive thingy. So, we'll see.

                              On a side note, I'm thinking of telling our clients to remove the CP750 top covers so that they don't run so hot. I'm pretty convinced that part of their demise is them getting so hot inside. Using external power supplies should slow it down too. But this is a story for another thread, for sure.

                              Comment

                              Working...