Sony SRX-R815P / XCT-S10 DCI Compliance Issues After 2025 - Any Solutions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Fernando Caldeira
    Newbie
    • Aug 2020
    • 5
    • Lisbon, Portugal

    #1

    Sony SRX-R815P / XCT-S10 DCI Compliance Issues After 2025 - Any Solutions?

    Hello everyone,

    I've been trying to follow the evolution of the DCI specs and updates. I understand there was a deadline at the end of 2025 regarding server certificates, which essentially renders servers that cannot be updated non-compliant. Is my understanding correct?

    If so, does this mean my Sony SRX-R815P (with XCT-S10 server) is destined for the garbage? As far as I know, Sony is no longer providing software or firmware updates for this model.

    I've already had two DCPs fail to play, so I'm fearing the worst.

    I've heard rumors about third-party replacement servers (like GDC) that might work, but I wanted to get advice from here before pursuing that path.​

    Thank you in advance for your help!

    Fernando
    ​
  • Marco Giustini
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1169
    • Reading, UK

    #2
    I'm not fully up to speed with that but I believe that deadline did not include Sony. It was a deadline which would render the servers unable to play, not non-compliant.
    I believe Sony projectors are still usable - what was the issue with those two DCPs?

    Comment

    • Steve Guttag
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3777
      • Annapolis, MD

      #3
      The 2025 deadline was for a particular brand (Doremi and its lineage) due to all of the certificates expiring at the same time. It was not an inherent DCI compatibility issue. All of those servers had an update path (via mere software) to get their certificates extended into the 2030s (I think it was 2038 but I'm not staring at one, at the moment to verify the date).

      I believe the GDC SA-2100, on the other hand, did reach the end of the line (certificate expired with no replacement available and/or it had an inherent security issue that could not be corrected). The GDC SX-2001, which replaced it did have a means for certificate extension and they are still going to this day.

      I do not know what the status of Sony is on their servers other than that they are still in service and are getting keys so I don't think it is a DCI compliance issue, if you are having issues.

      Comment

      • Fernando Caldeira
        Newbie
        • Aug 2020
        • 5
        • Lisbon, Portugal

        #4
        Thanks Marco,

        in november we had on that just wouldn't recognize the kdm. We did all the usual stuff, delete dcp re-ingest, asked for diferent kdm but nothing worked. Yesterday we had an unencrypted dcp the was OK but when we try to play de content it just crashes and the message error is "was interrupted by an error during the playout". Also we ha an encrypted one were the kdm was OK, dcp OK but when we played it, it just freeze, no image no error message nothing...
        I know sony always had some issues, mas with this projector it's been kind of smooth sailing the last 3 years or so, but now I'm getting worried.

        Comment

        • Marco Giustini
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1169
          • Reading, UK

          #5
          A kdm that doesn't get recognised is almost always an issue with the kdm Anything else could be really anything but if your server mostly works, I think you just got "bad" content. One possibility is that Sony equipment is fading away quickly and I'd imagine mastering labs are thinking "Sony" less and less.

          I believe Sony are still supporting those machines though - that is, parts and tech support. So you should be able to ask your installer to look into the issue for you.

          A silly question: is your RAID healthy?

          Comment

          • Ioannis Syrogiannis
            Pro Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 286
            • Reykjavík, Iceland

            #6
            The only mention of Dolby of Sony systems was for older, xenon-based ones (Like SRX-R320), that could have had come with a Doremi server, practically saying "good night and good luck" and "no support there". The 51X or 81X series weren't involved in that mess.
            I would guess that the XCT-S10 would have verified the DCP after ingesting. Therefore, it probably wasn't a corrupted file.
            (But, then again, one can make no safe assumptions with computer systems...)​

            Originally posted by Fernando Caldeira
            [...]but when we played it, it just freeze, no image no error message nothing...[...]
            Does that mean that when you were looking at the player, the timer would stand still, or it would look like it was moving forward? Or, it wouldn't even allow you to start playing?
            What kind of "nothing" was it (not)?

            Comment

            • Fernando Caldeira
              Newbie
              • Aug 2020
              • 5
              • Lisbon, Portugal

              #7
              Originally posted by Ioannis Syrogiannis
              A silly question: is your RAID healthy?
              yep, all lights are green.

              Comment

              • Fernando Caldeira
                Newbie
                • Aug 2020
                • 5
                • Lisbon, Portugal

                #8
                Originally posted by Ioannis Syrogiannis
                Does that mean that when you were looking at the player, the timer would stand still, or it would look like it was moving forward? Or, it wouldn't even allow you to start playing?
                What kind of "nothing" was it (not)?
                I´ts wierd. It allows the load but it freezes when we press play. It doesn´t move foward, the timecode doesn´t start it just satys there has if it was loading for a long time.

                Comment

                Working...