I was reading through old reviews on the "archive" and in the "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" thread, a discussion started about making DCPs from Blu-Rays. Of course this was before things like DCP-O-Matic and MakeMKV became widespread.
Bobby Henderson said this:
Joe Redifer said that while there IS a slight degrade in the image, he doubted if anyone could tell the difference, even side-by-side, so maybe it's a moot point. The writers in the old thread don't mention what software they were using to make DCPs back then. But I'm curious, has DCP-O-Matic and things like MakeMKV gotten around the issues with image quality?
Here is a link to the old discussion. The DCP part starts a few posts in.
https://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ub...001990/p1.html
Completely unrelated: I'm also struck by the number of people in the old forum who are no longer posting. It'd be interesting to know what became of everyone.
Also I'm stunned by the sheer number of movies, even ones that I reviewed, that I have absolutely zero memory of today. Although it shouldn't be surprising....I can look at last year's movies and find some that I don't remember a thing about.
Bobby Henderson said this:
A 1080p/24 video encode in AVC or VC1 format on Blu-ray is already severely data compressed. Even a movie on Blu-ray like Saving Private Ryan which has the movie using an entire 50GB disc is very compressed compared to the size of the original master. Add to this all the inter-frame compression techniques used to get file sizes lower in AVC/VC1 encodes.
A JPEG2000 DCP is essentially no more than a huge number of JPEG compressed still image frame grabs. It's a good format when an uncompressed or lossless compressed master is used as the source. If a Blu-ray encode is used the end result will be an image that has gone through two levels of lossy compression instead of one. Any efficiency or eye-tricking stunts inter-frame compression in the Blu-ray encode used would be lost in the DCP.
In short, a Blu-ray of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is going to look better than a DCP derived from it. There's going to be some sort of generational loss due to the double level of data compression happening.
A JPEG2000 DCP is essentially no more than a huge number of JPEG compressed still image frame grabs. It's a good format when an uncompressed or lossless compressed master is used as the source. If a Blu-ray encode is used the end result will be an image that has gone through two levels of lossy compression instead of one. Any efficiency or eye-tricking stunts inter-frame compression in the Blu-ray encode used would be lost in the DCP.
In short, a Blu-ray of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is going to look better than a DCP derived from it. There's going to be some sort of generational loss due to the double level of data compression happening.
Here is a link to the old discussion. The DCP part starts a few posts in.
https://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ub...001990/p1.html
Completely unrelated: I'm also struck by the number of people in the old forum who are no longer posting. It'd be interesting to know what became of everyone.
Also I'm stunned by the sheer number of movies, even ones that I reviewed, that I have absolutely zero memory of today. Although it shouldn't be surprising....I can look at last year's movies and find some that I don't remember a thing about.

Comment