Convert Your Favorite 35mm SLR To Digital

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mark Gulbrandsen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3093
    • Nashville, TN

    #1

    Convert Your Favorite 35mm SLR To Digital

    If you have an old, favorite SLR film camera and a bunch of favorite lenses laying around, soon you'll be able to convert it to digital. Check out this You Tube video on how this kit works.

  • Ryan Gallagher
    Film God
    • Nov 2022
    • 2855
    • Austin, Texas, USA

    #2
    I'm a bit confused about how the red button trigger relates to the shutter trigger. Also what size is the sensor? ;-)

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #3
      The one on their site uses a focus screen to accommodate "full frame" without sensor crop factor. But the one in the video you shared does not seem to utilize the focus screen method. Maybe your video is the "old model"?

      I like the non-invasive concept, still a film camera if you want it to be.



      Nevermind. The video is for the "I'm Back Film" product... which I imagine has a big crop factor, box contents show it with an adapter lens... I imagine this is the compensating tool?
      https://imback.eu/home/product/ibfilm-im-back-film/
      Last edited by Ryan Gallagher; 10-09-2024, 10:39 AM.

      Comment

      • Mark Gulbrandsen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3093
        • Nashville, TN

        #4
        Reccomend to go to their web site as the specs are all there. You will need a shorter focal length lens to main the image not being cropped. I.E., same field of view equivelent. There are also at least two others shown on Epay. But this seems furthest along as to being on the market. And I agree with being able to de-convert it back to film.

        Comment

        • Mark Gulbrandsen
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3093
          • Nashville, TN

          #5
          Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
          The one on their site uses a focus screen to accommodate "full frame" without sensor crop factor. But the one in the video you shared does not seem to utilize the focus screen method. Maybe your video is the "old model"?

          I like the non-invasive concept, still a film camera if you want it to be.



          Nevermind. The video is for the "I'm Back Film" product... which I imagine has a big crop factor, box contents show it with an adapter lens... I imagine this is the compensating tool?
          https://imback.eu/home/product/ibfilm-im-back-film/
          Ryan, No the back has a macro lens before the sensor so that it keeps a 50mm lens a 50mm, and so on.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.

          Comment

          • Mark Gulbrandsen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3093
            • Nashville, TN

            #6
            This video shows both versions of the back...
             

            Comment

            • Mark Gulbrandsen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3093
              • Nashville, TN

              #7
              And there was this Leica in the early 2000's Also another based on the old Kodak DSLR from the same time period.
              The R9 body is a beautiful piece of German industrial design, and the DMR was built to look remarkably like the native motor drive for R8/R9, with a sensor capable of capturing 16-bit RAW (as well as TIFF and JPEG) images.

              Comment

              • Leo Enticknap
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3572
                • Loma Linda, CA

                #8
                These conversion kits ain't cheap!

                image.png


                ​At the rate I still use my old Nikon F5 (on vacation, maybe once or twice a year), $900 (roughly what I'm guessing the digital film roll would cost after shipping to the US and import duties) would likely buy me enough rolls of C41 or E-6, plus processing and scanning, to see me though the rest of my life. It's a neat idea, though.

                Comment

                • Mark Gulbrandsen
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3093
                  • Nashville, TN

                  #9
                  Yes, it's expensive enough that one may as well just buy a new DSLR. But older cameras are addictive too, and so are some of the lenses that were made back then. Except for snaps taken on my phone, I still shoot film. I have a working Canon EOS around here that rarely gets used, not even sure the batteries are still good. I also have a Pentax 6x7 system, and a Cambo 4x5 view camera that get used the most. Will be out next week to capture some fall color, it's just starting to get nice around here...

                  Comment

                  • Mark Gulbrandsen
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3093
                    • Nashville, TN

                    #10
                    For sure! But a lot of work likely went into design and prototype, and pricing is also estimated on how many they think they'll sell. My guess is not very many. It's a specialty item.

                    Comment

                    Working...