"Ultra Stereo" Sound Format?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jim Cassedy
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1450
    • San Francisco

    #1

    "Ultra Stereo" Sound Format?

    Next week, I'm running a print of a 1987 flick from the Universal Studios vault.
    It's in archival condition- - on acetate stock, & it's never been platterized, so it's got zero splices.
    (woo hoo!) - - but I'm a bit perplexed about the sound format.
    The on-screen sound credit & optical track info indicate that it's "Recorded In Ultra-Stereo" ®
    So, obviously, it's in stereo, but what format on my CP-650 do I play back in?
    Should I use "Dolby A", or what?
    THANKS

    "ACTUAL PHOTOS!"
    UltraStereo_Credit.jpg

    UltraStereo_Trk.jpg

    (. . and just for more format fun, in another month or two I'll be running abuncha 70mm mag sound stuff)
  • Frank Cox
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2314
    • Melville Saskatchewan

    #2
    The first theatre I worked in had Ultra Stereo.

    As far as I recall, it's just Dolby A without paying the license fee.

    So Dolby A is the setting you want.

    Comment

    • Randy Stankey
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1388
      • Erie, PA, USA

      #3
      I remember being told the same thing. If you don't have Ultra Stereo, use Dolby A.

      Comment

      • Marcel Birgelen
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3619
        • Maastricht, NL

        #4
        Ultra Stereo was USL's (Ultra Stereo Lab's) development and it was developed to be compatible with Dolby A. According to USL, their own decoders offered improved chanel separation compared to Dolby's processors.

        Since the format could be used without paying royalties to Dolby, it was a pretty popular format in the second half of the 1980s.

        Comment

        • Steve Guttag
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3777
          • Annapolis, MD

          #5
          Ultra Stereo's NR was "compatible" with Dolby-A so that would be the proper selection. I wouldn't call Ultra Stereo encoding "popular." One of its "bigger" titles was Cobra. I had a tee-shirt that listed all of the Ultra-Stereo movies at that time...it was a who-isn't-who of "B" flicks...mostly slasher/low-rent horror stuff. The very people not too interested in getting the Dolby license. As to Ultra-Stereo improving on Dolby...believe what you want. Just know, when they mixed the movie and determined the channel and frequency response results, they didn't monitor it on the Ultra stuff...so any change you make isn't an improvement, it is an altering. Then again, those that were buying JS series processors were doing so for cost, (or possibly availability), so precise playback was likely not the primary concern.

          Comment

          • Gordon McLeod
            Expert Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 565
            • Toronto Ontario Canada

            #6
            It was Dolby A (aka 04) we had for many years two UltraStereo encoders here in Toronto and a fair number of French Language titles were mixed with them and I know the used the USL for decode as well
            Also I remember seeing Ultra*Stereo on some Hindi titles as well

            Comment

            • Mark Gulbrandsen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3093
              • Nashville, TN

              #7
              Their encoding was also used on 1421 U.S. made films as well. The last one appears to have been mixed in the late 90's. Harold may know more about this. Also note that the USL Type A noise reduction was in reality 3-1/2 bands, not 4. . The list is here:
              IMDb's advanced search allows you to run extremely powerful queries over all people and titles in the database. Find exactly what you're looking for!

              Comment

              • Jim Cassedy
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 1450
                • San Francisco

                #8
                Thanks, all- - Dolby A would have been my guess, but I wanted to get some opinions.
                There was a gap in the mid 1980's where I worked in TV production & as an AC on some
                low budget flix, so I missed out on the Ultra-Stereo era. I do have a working USL decoder
                frame in my collection of filmstuff, but I wasn't going to hook it up for a one-night show.

                Comment

                • Steve Guttag
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3777
                  • Annapolis, MD

                  #9
                  3-1/2? Genuine Dolby-A was sort of like that. It had four companders where band 4 overlapped band 3 rather than 4 completely non-interacting bands.
                  Last edited by Steve Guttag; 08-10-2022, 02:23 PM.

                  Comment

                  • Geoff Jones
                    Pro Film Handler
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 237
                    • Broomfield, CO

                    #10

                    I've got a message for you, and you're not going to like it.
                    So awesome that Alamo is showing this on their biggest screen in SF. Here in Colorado, they've got it on small screens not worth leaving home for, as usual.

                    (And selling more tickets than the new releases that are on the biggest screens, as usual.)
                    Last edited by Geoff Jones; 08-10-2022, 03:19 PM.

                    Comment

                    • Jon Dent
                      Pro Film Handler
                      • Jan 2021
                      • 420
                      • Thief River Falls, MN USA

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Steve Guttag
                      mostly slasher/low-rent horror stuff.
                      How dare you say that about the original "Cube"!

                      Comment

                      • Steve Guttag
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 3777
                        • Annapolis, MD

                        #12
                        There were actually some high-brow titles in there...The Player being one. But, by and large, the bulk of Ultra*Stereo releases were "thrifty" features that seemed to favor horror/slasher movies.

                        Comment

                        • Brad Miller
                          Administrator
                          • Dec 2019
                          • 373
                          • Plano, TX, USA

                          #13
                          Ultra Stereo vs Dolby processors at a theater.
                          Pepsi vs Coke products at a restaurant.

                          It's the same thing. Just cheap owners cutting corners everywhere they can, not worrying about quality or customer satisfaction, only about counting pennies.

                          Comment

                          • Harold Hallikainen
                            Film God
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 1073
                            • Tucson AZ

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
                            Their encoding was also used on 1421 U.S. made films as well. The last one appears to have been mixed in the late 90's. Harold may know more about this. Also note that the USL Type A noise reduction was in reality 3-1/2 bands, not 4. . The list is here:
                            I didn't start at USL until 2007, though I did a little contract work before that (on the JSD-80). So I know almost nothing about the film encoding system. But, there were lots of movie posters around the office for movies using Ultra Stereo sound.

                            Harold

                            Comment

                            • Marcel Birgelen
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3619
                              • Maastricht, NL

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Steve Guttag
                              There were actually some high-brow titles in there...The Player being one. But, by and large, the bulk of Ultra*Stereo releases were "thrifty" features that seemed to favor horror/slasher movies.
                              The Player was mostly independently financed and produced and not backed by any major studio. I guess the big studios wanted to have the Dolby logo on the poster.

                              I guess that Ultra Stereo is one of the alternative "formats" that actually made some ground, especially because it was compatible with Dolby A. Even USL is still somewhat around in some shape or form, as part of QSC... That's more than most other alternative audio formats and their sponsoring companies can claim.

                              Comment

                              Working...