The Xetron Loop-Matic in operation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jim Cassedy
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1450
    • San Francisco

    #16
    I'd love to see the operations/technical manual for one of these things.

    Comment

    • Randy Stankey
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1388
      • Erie, PA, USA

      #17
      Except for the switchover, I don't see how the Loop-Matic would have any more risk of damaging film than a platter of similar vintage.

      It's not the fact that layers of film touch which causes trouble. It's when film moves while it touches that does damage. The bifiliar (two-layer) winding shouldn't cause damage but, as the film enters of leaves the reel, if the two layers move relative to each other, that's where damage can occur.

      I can visualize the "regular" running state of the machine and I don't see any problems but I don't quite have a picture of the switchover in my head. That's where I can't figure whether damage would occur.

      Of course, this assumes a sentient operator who understands the machine, how it works and how to keep it running right, without damaging film. The same goes for platters. A good operator can run a platter system without damaging film but, if the guy is some kind of fuckwit, he'd be better of using a meat grinder.

      If I could see how the switchover process works and be assured that the possibility of damage is low, I'd be more confident about the Loop-Matic.

      My real concern is as others say. The buildup/breakdown process has got to be funky!

      Comment

      • Brad Miller
        Administrator
        • Dec 2019
        • 373
        • Plano, TX, USA

        #18
        Originally posted by Randy Stankey
        If I could see how the switchover process works and be assured that the possibility of damage is low, I'd be more confident about the Loop-Matic.
        That's the entire point of uploading that video of the unit in operation. Did you not watch it?

        Comment

        • Randy Stankey
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1388
          • Erie, PA, USA

          #19
          I saw the video but didn't pick up the details.

          I guess I'll just have to watch it again. Won't I?

          Comment

          • Mark Gulbrandsen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3093
            • Nashville, TN

            #20
            Originally posted by Sean McKinnon
            Wow! 22 years later!!! I was 17 when the original thread was started!!!
            Sean.... You're still 17!!

            Comment

            • Sean McKinnon
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 269
              • Boston (Peabody), Ma

              #21
              Sometimes I still feel like im 17

              Comment

              • Phillip Grace
                Film Handler
                • Jan 2020
                • 74
                • Melbourne, Australia.

                #22
                There is a pdf manual for the Loopmatic here: https://projectionniste.net/docs/Loopmatic.pdf The text is in French, but the pictures are in English!

                Comment

                • Brad Miller
                  Administrator
                  • Dec 2019
                  • 373
                  • Plano, TX, USA

                  #23
                  On that manual, drawing #4 is incorrect. That scenario never (and can't) happen.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment

                  • Randy Stankey
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 1388
                    • Erie, PA, USA

                    #24
                    It's physically impossible. One reel cannot act as payout and rewind at the same time. The film would break and the projector or transport would be pulled over. Maybe even both!

                    While it might be possible for this to occur as an error/failure condition, I can't imagine how. Maybe some part of the transport could fail or malfunction but, if it did, the projector must be stopped before the film accumulator(s) run out or else catastrophic damage would be inevitable.

                    The caption under the diagram says (in English), "The lower spool is empty and the upper spool full; they both stop, although the projection is still assured."

                    I call "Bullshit!"

                    Comment

                    • Randy Stankey
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 1388
                      • Erie, PA, USA

                      #25
                      Oh, wait! I think I get it!

                      This is an temporary condition between the time when the lower reel runs out before the transfer arm pulls the film down to mount it on the lower reel.

                      The arm is up before the lower reel runs out. Both reels stop, momentarily. Film is being fed from the accumulator to keep the projector running.
                      The arm swings down and pulls the film onto the lower reel, just before both reels reverse direction. The upper reel goes into payout mode and the lower becomes the takeup.
                      The machine runs like this until the upper reel runs out, both reels stop then the arm pulls the film to the upper reel. The whole thing reverses and the upper becomes takeup while the lower pays out.

                      This whole sequence repeats, ad infinitum, until the show ends and the projector stops.

                      I missed it because of the language barrier. I do understand a little bit of French but only just enough so that, if you dropped me off in the middle of Paris, I could find my way home again. I'm definitely not conversational. I only know French from watching foreign language movies with English subtitles. Anyhow, it took me some time to wade through the French before I figured it out.

                      What I don't understand is how the machine knows when to switch directions.

                      I notice that there are two idler arms that ride against the film on the reels. The reel hubs are octagonal, comprised from eight triangular segments.

                      Do those idlers bump against those triangular segments to trip a switch that triggers the transfer arm and reverses the reels?

                      Comment

                      • Michael Zarits
                        Film Handler
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 85
                        • Austria

                        #26
                        I think drawing #4 is the point when the manouvering arm starts to pull down the film coming from the front compensator and forming the loop on the lower reel. The upper reel starts spinning anti-clockwise at this moment feeding the projector and the lower reel.

                        Comment

                        • Brad Miller
                          Administrator
                          • Dec 2019
                          • 373
                          • Plano, TX, USA

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Michael Zarits
                          I think drawing #4 is the point when the manouvering arm starts to pull down the film coming from the front compensator and forming the loop on the lower reel. The upper reel starts spinning anti-clockwise at this moment feeding the projector and the lower reel.
                          I see the "second" you are referring to. It is at 0:33 in the youtube video link. Still, that's a terrible moment in the action to make a drawing. The drawing should have shown the arm pulling downward on the film as it is headed toward the lower hub (0:34 on the youtube video link) so it would be clear.

                          Comment

                          • Michael Zarits
                            Film Handler
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 85
                            • Austria

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Brad Miller

                            Still, that's a terrible moment in the action to make a drawing. The drawing should have shown the arm pulling downward on the film as it is headed toward the lower hub (0:34 on the youtube video link) so it would be clear.
                            I agree with that. Also in reality the right compensator's position is never that high as in the drawing.

                            Comment

                            • Jim Cassedy
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 1450
                              • San Francisco

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Phillip Grace
                              There is a pdf manual for the Loopmatic here: https://projectionniste.net/docs/Loopmatic.pdf
                              The text is in French, but the pictures are in English!
                              - - and Latin! ( Roman numerals, are, technically, Latin-- as they originated
                              with characters from the Latin alphabet
                              )

                              Comment

                              • Frank Angel
                                Pro Film Handler
                                • Jan 2020
                                • 277
                                • Brooklyn, NY

                                #30
                                I'd think the bigger issue would be, as other have pointed out, what happens when the film breaks? How easy is it to add/remove trailers? If you are eliminating the projectionist with this, who, suddenly, becomes an expert at dealing with the unplanned?
                                Steve, they just tell everyone to go home and pick up their voucher for another show as the door hits them in the butt, because no Manager/Projection Attendant (as UA like to call them) is going to get a show back on the screen with that piece of machinery involved.

                                And as I commented on Youtube, was the goal of this marvel to eliminate a projectionist or make it easier for one on Thursday nights? I would guess in the end, it could really one accomplish the latter, because what it would mean is that not only wouldn't it eliminate a projectionist, but it would require on that had to have the very unique skills to be able to handle this equipment. but otherwise they would have become as ubiquitous as platters. But NO chain is going to invest that kind of money if all the thing does is make life easier for the lowly projectionist. "Let him sweat a little on Thursdays...that's what he's getting paid for!" We all know the attitude.

                                Comment

                                Working...