Lost 35mm lamphouse door keys

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Brad Sime
    Newbie
    • Jan 2021
    • 15
    • Edmonton

    #1

    Lost 35mm lamphouse door keys

    Is there a way to open the door to the lamphouse on a 35mm without the keys?
  • Paul Finn
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 106
    • Bay City, Michigan

    #2
    MAKE and MODEL number of lamphouse information would be helpful here.

    Paul Finn

    Comment

    • Brad Sime
      Newbie
      • Jan 2021
      • 15
      • Edmonton

      #3
      Strong Super Lume-X
      39000

      Comment

      • Steve Guttag
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3777
        • Annapolis, MD

        #4
        You may be able to stress the door enough to get it to open...one can definitely do it on a Super-80/Ultra-80...there is less room for flex on the Super Lume-X, however. Probably, a well bent paper clip could fool the lock too.

        Comment

        • Brad Sime
          Newbie
          • Jan 2021
          • 15
          • Edmonton

          #5
          Would I be able to lock it up again after that, though? Is it 100% necessary to lock it up?

          Comment

          • Dave Macaulay
            Pro Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 460
            • Toronto, Ontario, Canada

            #6
            Every Strong lock on every lamphouse and console they made uses the same key.
            They are super low security, and yes a paper clip bent into a simple pick and a small screwdriver for tension can pick one open, I've done it.
            Any key that will go in, if gently twisted while you slide it in and out, may open it.
            You can also drill out the lock - go straight in the keyhole, a 3/8" bit will do. Once the guts are out you can turn it with a screwdriver.

            It doesn't need to be locked. Just use the screws to secure the door. The lock helps stop idiots from opening the lamphouse, hopefully people with access to your booth know not to open it and poke at the lamp.

            Comment

            • Brad Sime
              Newbie
              • Jan 2021
              • 15
              • Edmonton

              #7
              Awesome, thank you Dave.

              Comment

              • Jim Cassedy
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 1450
                • San Francisco

                #8
                The two times I had to do this, I simply mucked up the lock mechanism using
                a drill with a small bit. This destroyed the lock pins, but the latch mechanism
                still worked so you could open & close the lock using a small screwdriver or
                a US dime. (I assume a Canadian dime would work too!)

                The 2nd time I had to pop one of the locks this way it didn't work out quite as
                neatly. But once I got the thing open, I was able to find a "mailbox lock" at a
                local hardware store for abt $8.00us which fit & worked like the one I'd drilled out.

                Comment

                • Randy Stankey
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 1388
                  • Erie, PA, USA

                  #9
                  I forget exactly which but some lamphouses that I used to service had the same keys that open the doors on sound equipment racks. Those keys are standardized.
                  One key, marked "399" is for the front panel door and a second, marked "644" is for the back.

                  As I remember, the "644" key used to open some projectors. I think it was CFS lamphouses but, I'm sorry...memory fades.

                  Like Dave says, keys are standardized. They are really only meant to keep out the wankers. If you have a set of 399/644 sound rack keys, you could try them. Look around to see if you've got other keys that might fit, as well.

                  If you can't find a key that fits, you can do like Jim says. Defeat and remove the original lock and replace it with one that you have the key to.
                  It's an "ordinary" low-security lock. Easily pickable with a paperclip or smiliar.

                  If the projector is in a place where only you have access and there isn't anybody around who will poke their booger hooks around where they don't belong, you don't even need a lock, at all. You could, probably, just find a basic drawer latch, without a lock, at Home Depot, etc,.

                  Or... As Dave says, just screw the door shut and be done with it.

                  Comment

                  • Gavra Meads
                    Newbie
                    • Nov 2022
                    • 2
                    • USA

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jim Cassedy
                    The two times I had to do this, I simply mucked up the lock mechanism using
                    a drill with a small bit. This destroyed the lock pins, but the latch mechanism
                    still worked so you could open & close the lock using a small screwdriver or
                    a US dime. (I assume a Canadian dime would work too!)

                    The 2nd time I had to pop one of the locks this way it didn't work out quite as
                    neatly. But once I got the thing open, I was able to find a "mailbox lock" at a
                    local hardware store for abt $8.00us which fit & worked like the one I'd drilled out.
                    The idea is these small details you mentioned are hard to find and install. Go here- Stratford locksmith to see what other options exist to open the door to the lamphouse on a 35mm without keys. In addition, if I follow your steps, the lock pins will be destroyed. That's not a great option for me or anyone else.
                    Last edited by Gavra Meads; 11-07-2022, 04:39 AM.

                    Comment

                    • Brant Veilleux
                      Newbie
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 2
                      • Chicago

                      #11
                      I just picked a couple of console locks with a small flat head screwdriver and the pointy end of a zip tie. took no more than 30 seconds per lock. Use the screw driver to put rotational pressure on the tumbler in the unlocking direction and run the zip tie back and forth a few times till the tumbler starts to move in the desired direction. Don't bother drilling it out and causing damage. This is way easier.

                      Comment

                      • Sean McKinnon
                        Pro Film Handler
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 269
                        • Boston (Peabody), Ma

                        #12
                        If anyone is interested there is a security consultant who has a youtube channel "Deviant Ollam" who has a lot of content about these typical industrial keys and the complete lack of any real security they provide even on expensive access control systems the key to get into the controller is often a standard off the shelf easily amazon'd key.

                        Comment

                        Working...