Hi.
Thank you to everybody who tried to help.
Eventually I got some new LEDs from Boston Light and Sound (http://www.blsi.com/) and replaced the one inside the original optical block (BLSI also sells the full block, and I should have asked for that instead because field-soldering stuff in narrow places is very much out of my comfort zone, but that will be a separate post). After some very fiddly adjustments, I think I got the soundhead as good as it is ever going to get.

But as you can see, I still have sporadic uncorrected block errors. Whereas before readjusting the soundhead most films were on a 3-4 error rate baseline, now it's between 0 and 1+. But there are still error bursts. It can stay at 0-1 for tens of seconds but then jump to 3...2...1...0 (several more seconds at 0), jump to 4 (and "Fault" LED)...3...2...1...0 (several more seconds at 0) or straight to "F" (uncorrected block) - attached video, "error-bursts.mp4".
But just I noticed that with the DA20 powered on but the soundhead powered off, I have spurious signals on the "sync" LEDs of the Cat.No.721s. Do your DA20/CP500 do the same? (video "idle-sync-lights.mp4").
Thank you.
Thank you to everybody who tried to help.
Eventually I got some new LEDs from Boston Light and Sound (http://www.blsi.com/) and replaced the one inside the original optical block (BLSI also sells the full block, and I should have asked for that instead because field-soldering stuff in narrow places is very much out of my comfort zone, but that will be a separate post). After some very fiddly adjustments, I think I got the soundhead as good as it is ever going to get.
But as you can see, I still have sporadic uncorrected block errors. Whereas before readjusting the soundhead most films were on a 3-4 error rate baseline, now it's between 0 and 1+. But there are still error bursts. It can stay at 0-1 for tens of seconds but then jump to 3...2...1...0 (several more seconds at 0), jump to 4 (and "Fault" LED)...3...2...1...0 (several more seconds at 0) or straight to "F" (uncorrected block) - attached video, "error-bursts.mp4".
But just I noticed that with the DA20 powered on but the soundhead powered off, I have spurious signals on the "sync" LEDs of the Cat.No.721s. Do your DA20/CP500 do the same? (video "idle-sync-lights.mp4").
Thank you.
. Now, why 0 and not the usual (about) 100 where the Dolby start is loading code and metadata between the START mark and the twopop? Because some nimrod at the original lab (28 years ago) spliced leader until 7 frames before the twopop, so DA20 and DRAS could only pick up the stream somewhere after the twopop. To find out how if any frames were lost I'm going to have to digitize the SVA track and match... What fun.
Comment