Anyone running DP-75's?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Brad Morris
    Newbie
    • Jan 2020
    • 2
    • Los Angeles, CA

    #1

    Anyone running DP-75's?

    Is anyone still running DP-75's or knows of anyone who is?

    Thanks.
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #2
    I don't, at the moment. We used to service a pair. Dolby's screening room, on Potrero had a pair. Are you looking for specific information?

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #3
      MTE has had a pair on eBay now for over a year.

      Comment

      • Jim Cassedy
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1450
        • San Francisco

        #4

        Originally posted by Steve Guttag
        Dolby's screening room, on Potrero had a pair.
        I worked with them for several years over at Dolby.
        DolbyKinoton_2.jpg
        Dolby also had a Kinoton 16/35mm magnetic/optical combo projector too. But I never saw it used.
        DolbyKinoton_4.jpg

        When I first started working with those projectors, I had trouble remembering
        the threading path, so one night I made this threading diagram. Eventually, I
        got so good, I could run those projectors with my eyes closed.
        (although that did make focusing and change-overs a bit difficult)
        DolbyThreading.jpg
        Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 06-02-2025, 09:18 AM. Reason: I Don't Remember

        Comment

        • Pete Naples
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 135
          • Dunfermline, Scotland

          #5
          I have a customer who regualrly runs a pair in 35 and 70mm

          Comment

          • Leo Enticknap
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3572
            • Loma Linda, CA

            #6
            I have one customer in the LA metro that has a pair of DP-75s in regular service.

            Originally posted by Jim Cassedy
            When I first started working with those projectors, I had trouble remembering the threading path​
            Was that on the FP-38E? I used one at the Egyptian, but apart from one occasion, only for 16mm. There was also a pair of Norelco AAIIs (DP70s) for 35 and 70. There was one single show in which I used it for 35, which was a silent short from 1909 shown at a festival, that needed to run at the slowest frame rate possible. While the Norelcos could go down to 16, the flicker was seriously bad below around 20. The FP38-E, however, was almost flicker free even at much lower frame rates, so I converted it to 35 for that one occasion. I also found the 35mm threading path confusing, and ended up photocopying a blowup of the framing diagram in the manual, laminating it, and sticking it on the wall in front of the projector. But 16 I could pretty much do in my sleep. I suspect that it was simply a case of practice makes perfect.
            Last edited by Leo Enticknap; 06-03-2025, 09:44 AM.

            Comment

            • Ryan Gallagher
              Film God
              • Nov 2022
              • 2855
              • Austin, Texas, USA

              #7
              Originally posted by Jim Cassedy

              I worked with them for several years over at Dolby.
              I like the custom wall mounted lens cabinets. What was in the other one just to the right of that?

              Also floating your digital readers just above your lamp house is one way to keep those bits warmed up and flowing!

              Comment

              • Brad Morris
                Newbie
                • Jan 2020
                • 2
                • Los Angeles, CA

                #8
                I appreciate the offers of assistance. I have some parts that I was looking to give to an institution that still uses them. Not many of these out there anymore.

                @Pete- These are larger pieces and shipping might be too costly depending on worth.

                Comment

                • Mark Gulbrandsen
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3093
                  • Nashville, TN

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Brad Morris
                  Is anyone still running DP-75's or knows of anyone who is?

                  Thanks.
                  Yes, there is a theater at Ohio State U runs a pair of 75's. I will try to get you contact info in the next day...

                  Comment

                  • Steve Guttag
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3777
                    • Annapolis, MD

                    #10
                    If you have pictures (or know the names/part numbers) it might be helpful.

                    Comment

                    • Ian Puffenberger
                      Film Handler
                      • Aug 2020
                      • 40
                      • Fairfax, VA

                      #11
                      I believe the AFI Silver has a pair.

                      Comment

                      • Steve Guttag
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 3777
                        • Annapolis, MD

                        #12
                        the AFI/Silver has FP75ES...completely different projector, except for the magnetic head and 70mm aperture plates.

                        Comment

                        • Jim Cassedy
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 1450
                          • San Francisco

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
                          Was that on the FP-38E? .
                          Yes, I think that was the model number. I have a picture of it somewhere.
                          It did 16 & 35mm and I think it was also possible to run sep mag tracks
                          in 16mm on it too. ( Dolby still had some 16 & 35mm mag film
                          decks and dubbers for a while when I first started working there
                          )

                          Comment

                          • Mark Lensenmayer
                            Newbie
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 10
                            • Columbus, Ohio, USA

                            #14
                            The projectors at Ohio State are at the Wexner Center for the Arts. Dave Filipi is head of film there. Bruce Bartoo was operator there until he rietired. I believe Rachael Barbash is operator now. Those projectors have 16mm projectors on the back side.

                            Comment

                            • Mark Gulbrandsen
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3093
                              • Nashville, TN

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Mark Lensenmayer
                              The projectors at Ohio State are at the Wexner Center for the Arts. Dave Filipi is head of film there. Bruce Bartoo was operator there until he rietired. I believe Rachael Barbash is operator now. Those projectors have 16mm projectors on the back side.
                              Correct! John Williamson is their Tech...

                              Comment

                              Working...