SR separation

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Raia
    Pro Film Handler
    • Dec 2024
    • 286
    • Newburgh, New York

    #31
    Steve, I wish I had atmos! SR for now, haven't been able to hook up Dolby digital or DTS readers yet. So I guess even in the digital space it all comes down to the sound design of the movie.

    Comment

    • Steve Guttag
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3777
      • Annapolis, MD

      #32
      Originally posted by Marco Giustini
      ...To test you can use the cat69T. That has a 1KHz (was it 998Hz?) tone ...
      Neither. Dolby Tone is 850Hz and frequency-modulated. It is raised to ~935Hz with a duty cycle of about 4%...hence its distinctive sound.

      [Edited to correct improper quote formatting]
      Last edited by Steve Guttag; 07-13-2025, 03:38 PM.

      Comment

      • Marco Giustini
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1168
        • Reading, UK

        #33
        thanks - can you remind me why they added the 935Hz modulation?

        Comment

        • Tony Bandiera Jr
          Expert Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 720
          • Moreland, Idaho

          #34
          Originally posted by Marco Giustini
          thanks - can you remind me why they added the 935Hz modulation?
          As a WAG, I'd say to make it audibly distinctive from a standard 1k test loop so you wouldn't accidentally try to set levels with the wrong loop...but Dolby most likely had a good technical reason too, but I am not sure what it would be..... (NR triggering, maybe?)

          Comment

          • Steve Guttag
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3777
            • Annapolis, MD

            #35
            It is strictly to create a unique tone. That tone is "Dolby Tone" and I'm sure its sound has intellectual legal implications behind it.

            Comment

            • Marco Giustini
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1168
              • Reading, UK

              #36
              very interesting thanks Steve!

              Comment

              Working...