Panavision Anamorphic Lens Adapter

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Paul Finn
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 106
    • Bay City, Michigan

    #1

    Panavision Anamorphic Lens Adapter

    From a long time ago now, I have a genuine Panavision Special 2X anamorphic lens adapter for projection. It is the only one I have ever seen or know of. Physically it is very similar to the B&L anamorphics of the era. It has fully coated optics, is serial number 2537 and appears of excellent manufacture quality. Does anyone know the history of these lenses? Were they widely used, in the industry and did they have a good reputation?

    Thank you, Paul Finn
  • Gordon McLeod
    Expert Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 565
    • Toronto Ontario Canada

    #2
    Post a picture please

    Comment

    • Jack Ondracek
      Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 78
      • Bremerton - Port Orchard, WA

      #3
      I've seen a couple. We used this one at a theatre in my home town. They seemed to work well, other than the new lenses were more efficient.
      They hung in front of a pair of Century C's, after inserting the correct backup lens.
      1st image rotated. Knob should be on top.
      Attached Files

      Comment

      • Vern Dias
        Film Handler
        • Sep 2020
        • 52
        • Allen, Texas, USA

        #4
        Originally posted by Jack Ondracek
        I've seen a couple. We used this one at a theatre in my home town. They seemed to work well, other than the new lenses were more efficient.
        They hung in front of a pair of Century C's, after inserting the correct backup lens.
        1st image rotated. Knob should be on top.
        Those were from 1954 or thereabouts. Consolidated Amusement co, in Hawaii used them in all of their 2nd run theatres. (The first run houses used the more expensive and much higher quality Bauch and Lomb cylindrical anamorphic lenses).

        The super Panatar was apparently designed for theatres that couldn't afford a high quality anamorphic lens and was a light sink. You could watch the movie on the back wall of the projection booth due to the reflection from the rear prism alone. The front glass was also used for astigmatism correction, and was available in 20 foot throw increments. (80'-100', 60'-80', etc).

        The unique feature was the ability to adjust the horizontal expansion factor. (That's what the big knob on top was for.)

        Comment

        • Gordon McLeod
          Expert Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 565
          • Toronto Ontario Canada

          #5
          Paul posted that it looked like a B&L not the Prismatic style

          Comment

          • Mark Gulbrandsen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3093
            • Nashville, TN

            #6
            That is Panavision's first product they marketed, and they sold a lot of them. There was a pair in my home town theater as well, and I remember the images being very sharp. The down side is the theater had to use Ashcraft mid sized lamp houses to light the 40 foot wide screen. 30 years later I go back to the theater to do a service call, and it's been split into 4 screens, but the Ashcrafts are still there, except converted to Xenon.

            Comment

            • Paul Finn
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 106
              • Bay City, Michigan

              #7
              I am not able to post a picture at this time. Lens is in storage. As I said, it is physically identical to the B&L anamorphics of that era. I have always been watching for a twin to have a matched pair.

              Mark, was there ever a xenon modification kit for the large Ashcraft Core-Lite lamps?

              Thank you again for the information, Paul Finn
              Last edited by Paul Finn; 08-05-2025, 08:31 AM.

              Comment

              • Gordon McLeod
                Expert Film Handler
                • Jan 2020
                • 565
                • Toronto Ontario Canada

                #8
                Originally posted by Paul Finn
                I am not able to post a picture at this time. Lens is in storage. As I said, it is physically identical to the B&L anamorphics of that era. I have always been watching for a twin to have a matched pair.

                Mark, was there ever a xenon modification kit for the large Ashcraft Core-Lite lamps?

                Thank you again for the information, Paul Finn
                Yes Kniesley had a kit that would work in the corelites

                Comment

                Working...