Christie R5 platter strange issue

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Neal Scanlan
    Film Handler
    • Jan 2021
    • 74
    • Hampshire UK

    #1

    Christie R5 platter strange issue



    I’ve run into a bit of a conundrum with my Christie R5 platter.

    With all driver cards installed, only the four upper plates work. If I swap the driver cards around, the bottom plate works, but another one stops. I’ve repeated this many times in different combinations, and I’m confident none of the driver cards themselves are faulty.
    I’ve also tested combinations with only four drivers installed, and in that case all four plates always work. This makes me suspect an overload on a transformer output, or possibly an issue with another component such as a resistor or part of the circuit.

    Has anyone experienced a similar issue, or can suggest what else I should be looking at?



    ​
  • Brad Miller
    Administrator
    • Dec 2019
    • 373
    • Plano, TX, USA

    #2
    Test each speed control card one at a time on the same deck. (The one with the HI and LO pots.) Verify all 5 DO work first because that is the most likely issue, but test one at a time on the same platter. Then things can be taken from there.

    Comment

    • Neal Scanlan
      Film Handler
      • Jan 2021
      • 74
      • Hampshire UK

      #3
      Thank you Brad, will do.

      Comment

      • Neal Scanlan
        Film Handler
        • Jan 2021
        • 74
        • Hampshire UK

        #4
        Hello Brad,
        I tested the boards as you suggested and you were right there are several boards that are not responding. I have four boards that work and three (spares) that do not.
        Is there a common fault that would be components that have failed over time or does anyone have a board that I could buy?

        Comment

        • Brad Miller
          Administrator
          • Dec 2019
          • 373
          • Plano, TX, USA

          #5
          Most likely it's a blown fuse on the dead cards. If you hold it up to the light you can usually tell just by looking at it, but if not test the fuse with a multimeter or in a working card.

          Comment

          Working...