Electronic intermittent

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Adam Liberman
    Film Handler
    • Sep 2024
    • 71
    • Portland, OR, USA

    #1

    Electronic intermittent

    I am looking to build up a Simplex Regular/Standard with an electronic intermittent (for fun), with an electronically controlled LED light source to eliminate the mechanical shutter. I am looking at three different possible drive systems: Open-loop stepper, closed-loop stepper, and BLDC motor. Since the sprocket will rotate 90 degrees every frame, any positional error (due to eccentricity, encoder accuracy, feedback error-correction, and motor pole construction) between the four positions would cause vertical jitter (I'm assuming direct drive for the motor). The BLDC motor also has the issue that the rotor does not lock at rest, although claw pulldown transports don't either (but some cameras have a registration pin). I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions, and what kind of drive Phillips used in the electronic intermittent version of their projector.
  • Thomas Piccione
    Film Handler
    • Nov 2021
    • 57
    • Boston, Massachusetts, USA

    #2
    Kinoton used a servo with an encoder for position feedback on their E-machines. The resolution of this encoder depended on the model/generation, but I believe the older ones were 13 bit, which is enough resolution divide 1 complete rotation into 8192 pieces.

    Comment

    • Mark Gulbrandsen
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3093
      • Nashville, TN

      #3
      Back in the 90's I had an RCA FR-35B 35mm projector with electronic pull down. It could do 3:1, or 5:1 pull down by changing a jumper. The one I bought came from Editel in Chicago and was used for film transfers. I eventually sold it off, but I do have pictures and a couple schematics that I will post in the next day or two...

      Comment

      • Gordon McLeod
        Expert Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 565
        • Toronto Ontario Canada

        #4
        RCA and Kinoton used servo drive Magna Tech, Eprad, CFS and Westrex were stepper motor drive intemitents

        Comment

        • Marin Zorica
          Pro Film Handler
          • Feb 2020
          • 150
          • Croatia

          #5
          In my automation projects i use control techniques motor drivers and there bldc servo motors. Holding down for bldc motor will not be a problem, since holding torque is higher in holding than in mowong for most of servos. I wanted to built same system for fun, and even did some test on my bench. Master encoder was mentioned to be some encoder on projector transport sprocket, and slave would be servo. I've had some EnCos servo and 4096ppr incremental as master, which should be suggicent. I was working on table, but newer get chance to try it out.
          What components you plan to use?

          Comment

          • Adam Liberman
            Film Handler
            • Sep 2024
            • 71
            • Portland, OR, USA

            #6
            Thanks all for suggestions and information. This is probably a way-in-the-future project, but who knows? I'm hoping not to need to invest in an industrial sized motor and driver. My thinking is one motor for the intermittent, one for the other sprockets, and a couple of torque motors (which I have), for the reels.

            Comment

            • Jim Cassedy
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1450
              • San Francisco

              #7
              Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
              Back in the 90's I had an RCA FR-35B 35mm projector with electronic pull down. ...
              Is that the one that also used a strobe-like pulsed light source? I saw one once at a
              college TV station I was visiting, probably back some time in the mid-to-late 80's

              Comment

              • Marin Zorica
                Pro Film Handler
                • Feb 2020
                • 150
                • Croatia

                #8
                Originally posted by Adam Liberman
                Thanks all for suggestions and information. This is probably a way-in-the-future project, but who knows? I'm hoping not to need to invest in an industrial sized motor and driver. My thinking is one motor for the intermittent, one for the other sprockets, and a couple of torque motors (which I have), for the reels.
                Basicly i tought to go like this, cell it is like kinoton system. Both sprockets for in and out are driven with same motor over belt. There should be encoder for master position, so that intermittent and shutter motor can be sync to it. I think kinoton used servomotor with 6000rpm and 0.5nM or something similar. And shutter was driven by some stepper if i am correct!?
                Check out Control techniques M700 or smaller M750, even 0.37kw should fit need and built in motion controller could do the trick for whole ibtermittent movement.

                Comment

                • Mark Gulbrandsen
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3093
                  • Nashville, TN

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jim Cassedy

                  Is that the one that also used a strobe-like pulsed light source? I saw one once at a
                  college TV station I was visiting, probably back some time in the mid-to-late 80's
                  Hard to say on that... Mine did not have a pulsed light source, but RCA sold a number of different models of it, including a theater version. So it would not surprise me. I got mine from Editel back about 1988.

                  Comment

                  • Ryan Gallagher
                    Film God
                    • Nov 2022
                    • 2855
                    • Austin, Texas, USA

                    #10
                    I’ve never used or even seen an electronic intermittent, but design wise, I expect being able to have the resolution to program an acceleration and deceleration curve into the pull down is important for being as kind to the perfs as possible, unless it is also achievable with very low gate tension methods?

                    Is a tensioned gate even necessary if you have to synced electronic sprockets on either side?

                    Comment

                    • Mark Gulbrandsen
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 3093
                      • Nashville, TN

                      #11
                      The RCA I acquired had vertical registration via sensors in the gate that looked at the perfs. There was an on - off switch for that, and it often helped. But if it's a print that was made at high speed that had printed in bounce, then it didn't mean a thing.

                      Comment

                      • Gordon McLeod
                        Expert Film Handler
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 565
                        • Toronto Ontario Canada

                        #12
                        Here is Eprads Patent
                        Attached Files

                        Comment

                        • David Ferguson
                          Pro Film Handler
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 269
                          • Edinburgh, UK

                          #13
                          As others have said, there were two types used in the past:
                          • Kinoton's EC (and then the rest of the "E" range, as well as clones like the Sondor Nova) used a servo. They claimed this gave them much better precision and control compared to a stepper.
                          • Others (off the top of my head I know of the Magna-Tech PR-135 and PR-635) used steppers. I have never seen one in person, so cannot comment on Kinoton's claim that a stepper was worse than a servo for image quality, but the logic makes sense to me.
                          I am lucky enough to have an EC, and so have experience with the electronic servo intermittent. The original EC (which I have) doesn't have the ability to fine-tune the movement, but the later ECII and other E machines do - this means that you can adjust for any non-regularity in the sprocket manufacturing, in theory leading to a really really steady image. Kinoton went on to use this to make 70mm, and special venue 8/35mm, 8/70mm (and I'm told even a prototype 15/70mm) machines, so this must have been good enough to scale up to large format too.

                          I have spoken to a couple of friends about the possibility of making film projectors with modern electronic intermittents. The motors you need are really quite unique and expensive, but luckily today you don't at least need to go and have them custom made as Kinoton needed to do in the late 80s for the original EC. For the ECII, I think they used an off the shelf motor, with their own control electronics in there. If you want, I can send some photos of the insides of my EC and the motors there?

                          Comment

                          • Gordon McLeod
                            Expert Film Handler
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 565
                            • Toronto Ontario Canada

                            #14
                            The CFS dream machine was a stepper system

                            Comment

                            • Mark Gulbrandsen
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3093
                              • Nashville, TN

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Gordon McLeod
                              The CFS dream machine was a stepper system
                              You mean it was a shredder system...

                              Comment

                              Working...