DTS-S (not DTS Stereo)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Marco Giustini
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1169
    • Reading, UK

    #16
    Interesting, last time I tested mine it was ok. I suspect you might be able to open the switch and fix it. Or just use some good contact cleaner "for switches", that might resolve the issue.

    286? All DTS-6 I've seen were 386 SX, a 286 would be a rare one! You haven't disposed of the board, right? ?

    The ROM contains DOS basically, the actual DTS software was being loaded from the CD themselves. I suspect that whatever old DTS.EXE file you'll find on the DTS-S disks you source, will be able to deal with DTS-S.

    Hint: plug an ISA video card in the DTS-6 and you can see what's going on, it is quite cool. When I was running DTS in a cinema, it was permanently connected to a monitor as that would give me some extra diagnostic feedback on the playback.

    Comment

    • Tj Hopland
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jun 2025
      • 264
      • Minneapolis, MN

      #17
      Its been just a few years but I sort of recall seeing titles coming with 3 discs in the very early days, there was the stereo single disc and then the A and B 6 discs. I remember something about colors and stickers maybe on the caddies trying to make it clear which disc(s) you should be using or was it the color of the printing on the disc? Like orange vs blue? Seems like it was only the first couple titles like JP and Schindler?

      I remember a booth that had a quick start guide like thing on the wall that was trying to explain the differences. The way the guide was written it implied bad things would happen if you got the wrong disc. Not sure if the bad things were just no digital sound or if it would play the 'wrong' disc just having wrong stuff coming out the wrong places? I don't recall if that guide was from DTS or if it was something maybe the circuit had sent out to their theaters. Would have been General Cinema or Carmike and both of them were big on those guide/note sort of things.

      Comment

      • David Ferguson
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 269
        • Edinburgh, UK

        #18
        It was a long time ago - I am probably misremembering about 286 vs 386. (I know my current one has the 386SX, and it's an early caddy loading CDROM version.) And no, I didn't throw my original one out, but gave it away to another film collector who needed it for parts.

        I have wanted to plug an ISA video card into my DTS-6D for a while - the only thing that has stopped me buying one on ebay is that I know in my Many Boxes Of Things I have some ISA cards, and probably a VGA one, but I haven't found it. But they're cheap online, I should probably just get one.

        Comment

        • David Ferguson
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 269
          • Edinburgh, UK

          #19
          Originally posted by Marco Giustini
          I'd be curious to know the outcome, David.
          I have a feeling that the ROM doesn't matter much when it comes to decoding. Let us know!
          I can confirm that a DTS-6, that was originally sold as a DTS-6, and subsequently upgraded with the 1.46 ROM... will read an original DTS "STEREO" disc, and then when I give it the expected timecode signal from my Timecode Generator, it indicates that it is playing it fine! Thanks to all that helped me with this.

          What I haven't yet done is hooked up anything to the "STEREO" output connector on the back - but I now have a DB15 connector on order so will hopefully be able to test that in a few days.
          Attached Files

          Comment

          • Marco Giustini
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1169
            • Reading, UK

            #20
            That timecode converter, what is it? Converts what? SMPTE to DTS? Is that the DTS TC generator?

            Comment

            • David Ferguson
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 269
              • Edinburgh, UK

              #21
              While I am flattered you think that is the official DTS TC generator, no, that is just a DIY thing I made that converts various timecode formats to another. Right now it can take in DTS, MIDI, SMPTE and audio LTC and output DTS - but I keep adding more formats as I need them. It can also just freewheel and generate DTS without an input, which is what I was doing yesterday for testing.

              Comment

              • Michael Zarits
                Film Handler
                • Jan 2020
                • 85
                • Austria

                #22
                I like that TCGen! Did you also implement to output an encryption key to enable playback of AUE files? That's one thing I have not done on my generator yet. We know it works by having the serial block appearing in a certain pattern that has to match the AUE key in the soundtrack's file at pos 93-95. Actually I do not really require AUE playback as I decrypt any AUE disc to AUD but it would be neat to have the option to enter the file's encryption key and it sends the according key info with the TC.

                Comment

                • David Ferguson
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 269
                  • Edinburgh, UK

                  #23
                  Thanks Michael. No, I haven't implemented the output of encrypted (AUE) timecode - mainly because as you say, it is easier to decrypt to AUD. I would like to add it for completeness. I have a pulse capture of a AUE encrypted timecode, and then a corresponding non-encrypted version of the same film, so I should really compare the two and add support for that - at some point!

                  Comment

                  • David Ferguson
                    Pro Film Handler
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 269
                    • Edinburgh, UK

                    #24
                    My DB15 connector arrived - but I have realised that the two DTS-6 manuals in the warehouse are the later versions that omit the pinout of the stereo connector (aside from the sub connection).

                    Does anyone have an older manual, or even just the stereo connector pinout? Otherwise I'll get the board out and do some tracing, but it would be nice to not have to do that!

                    Comment

                    • Marco Giustini
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 1169
                      • Reading, UK

                      #25
                      Are you sure it's not there? The 1996 version has Left Total and Right Total - they're just not going anywhere but they're there.

                      https://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/manuals/DTS6.pdf

                      SCR-20251027-uomi.png

                      Comment

                      • Blaine Young
                        Newbie
                        • Aug 2020
                        • 21
                        • Kirkland, WA

                        #26
                        The GCC I worked at in 1993 had an original DTS-6. If I recall correctly, there was a memo about the discontinuation of DTS Stereo discs and upgrades to DTS-6 units were offered. The memo indicated the last DTS Stereo title would be SN 1050 (Time Cop). I've never seen a disc higher than 1039 (The Shadow). I have 17 'Stereo' titles in my library.

                        Comment

                        • Aleksandrs Dubanevics
                          Newbie
                          • Mar 2023
                          • 5
                          • Europe

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Blaine Young
                          I have 17 'Stereo' titles in my library.
                          I wonder what they are?

                          Comment

                          • Blaine Young
                            Newbie
                            • Aug 2020
                            • 21
                            • Kirkland, WA

                            #28
                            All Universal titles:
                            The Cowboy Way
                            Crooklyn
                            The Flintstones
                            For Love or Money
                            The Getaway
                            Greedy
                            Hard Target
                            Heart and Souls
                            In the Name of the Father
                            Judgment Night
                            Jurassic Park
                            The Paper
                            The Real McCoy
                            Reality Bites
                            The Shadow
                            We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story​

                            Comment

                            • Michael Zarits
                              Film Handler
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 85
                              • Austria

                              #29
                              I also have Carlito's Way SN 1014 and The Buzz & Bill Show in stereo.

                              Comment

                              • Blaine Young
                                Newbie
                                • Aug 2020
                                • 21
                                • Kirkland, WA

                                #30
                                I didn't know 'Buzz & Bill' was issued in stereo. All copies I have are 6-track.

                                Comment

                                Working...