Best Pro 16mm capable Projectors?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tony Bandiera Jr
    Expert Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 720
    • Moreland, Idaho

    #16
    Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
    ..My next choice would be the FP-38, but I don't really care for the FP-16, and FP-18. ....
    Why? You are aware that the FP-16 and especially the FP-18 (which is the EXACT SAME 16MM "door" on the FP-38) are mechanically identical (until you get to the "E" models.) Please tell us exactly why you think the FP-38's 16mm mech is "better" than the FP-18? (When it is identical?)

    I found the FP-16 that was used in a few of my old service locations was solid, as long as you were mindful of keeping the intermittent oil fresh and stay on top of the gate and trap wear.

    Comment

    • Marcel Birgelen
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3619
      • Maastricht, NL

      #17
      I'm a bit lost in all the model names and to be honest, so I made an incomplete list, correct where I'm wrong:

      FP-16D - Single Format 16mm mechanical projector
      FP-18D - Single Format 16mm mechanical projector
      FP-30D - Single Format 35mm mechanical projector
      FP-38D - Dual Format (16/35mm) mechanical projector
      FP-30E - Single Format 35mm electrical projector (stepper-motor driven intermittent)
      FP-38E - Dual Format (16/35mm) electrical projector (stepper-motor driven intermittent)
      FP-30E Premiere - Single Format 35 mm electrical projector (improved stepper motor, improved shutter for more light)
      FP-38E Premiere - Dual Format (16/35mm) 35mm electrical projector (improved stepper motor, improved shutter for more light)

      Maybe worth mentioning:
      FP-75E - Dual Format (35/70mm) electrical projector (stepper-motor driven intermittent)
      FP-75E Premiere - Dual Format (35/70mm) electrical projector (improved stepper motor, improved shutter for more light)

      I don't remember ever seeing an FP-16D or FP-38D myself. I'm also not sure if there ever was an FP-75D.

      I find the stepper-motor based intermittent technology on those things intriguing, but it's also probably the first thing to fail and like with all things electronic, will be a bitch to replace.

      I'd call none of the Kinoton machines anywhere close to "transportable" though and also not really suitable for home, unless you have a dedicated screening room with a well sound-proofed booth.

      Comment

      • David Ferguson
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 269
        • Edinburgh, UK

        #18
        The FP16 and FP18 never had the D suffix. Nor did the FP38, that was just the FP38 for the "stick a FP18 on the back of a 30" version, and then the FP38E for the "single gate with electronic intermittent" version. There's also a myriad of non-16mm other versions that we won't get into here - the FP30M, SP75ES, and FP30R come to mind!

        There wasn't an FP75D, it was just the DP75 I think.

        It is also true that an FP38E is not transportable in any way - last week I moved an FP38EC and an FP30EC down some stairs, and it was a big task with lots of people involved - and that was with the lamphouse and upper and lower motors removed!

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2855
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #19
          Speaking of Kinoton models, I’m guessing they never made anything portable but still somewhat professional like the PK60, PK60A, PK60AD in a 16mm flavor?

          Aside what are the reputations of those “portable” 35mm units?

          Comment

          • Ryan Gallagher
            Film God
            • Nov 2022
            • 2855
            • Austin, Texas, USA

            #20
            And Cinemeccanica never did 16mm units? The fact they are still around would be a positive if they made em, unlike the rest of the field.

            Comment

            • David Ferguson
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 269
              • Edinburgh, UK

              #21
              Cinemeccanica never did 16mm as far as I know, and Kinoton kept the 16mm to professional, non-portable versions. You may find a few of them converted to "portables" by users, but they didn't come that way from the factory.

              However Cinemec did, and still do make new portable 16mm projectors, as well as "portable" 35mm projectors. You can have a look at their (old but charming) website. If you have money to spend, time to wait (there's a big lead time) and want it new, they are the only option.

              Comment

              • Steve Guttag
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3777
                • Annapolis, MD

                #22
                "D" stood for "Direct Drive" where the motor was coupled directly to the intermittent (no belt) so no...there were no "D" versions of the 16mm machines. The DP75 did have a D version at the very end of the run.

                After 2000, the "A" suffix denoted a non-D version. As Larry Shaw used to say, "A is for Affordable." The A versions omitted other little things too but the big one was the direct drive (and possibly the lens turret was less friendly in the "A" version. This also meant that the non-op side didn't have to stick out quite as far to house the spinning motor.

                Prior to 2000, the various FP20/28 and FP30/38 had all sorts of suffix letters to denote different options.

                Premiere (cinema) and Reference (studio) are on projectors from 2007 onwards to denote the FPS motor controller and intermittent motor instead of the original "E" system which used the "MDE" motor/drive. The FPS was stronger/faster (but I've found more finicky) and could yield significant light improvements.

                Comment

                • Gordon McLeod
                  Expert Film Handler
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 565
                  • Toronto Ontario Canada

                  #23
                  I always had good luck with the Prevost/Zies machine though it didnt like shrunken film nor did the FP16. The Eastman 25 was a robust machine as was a hortson. For damaged prints the Fumeo was very gentle on film

                  Comment

                  • Tj Hopland
                    Pro Film Handler
                    • Jun 2025
                    • 264
                    • Minneapolis, MN

                    #24
                    When were the Eastman's produced? And when did they quit making parts? Seems like when I first ran into them in the 80's they were considered old then and parts were hard to come by. I seem to recall the best chance to find some parts was to find one of the TV versions that hopefully wasn't used too hard or maybe a TV station that had some NOS spare parts. The TV machines had some different parts but I do remember taking some parts off em. 80s that TV stuff was easy to come by because TV had been doing video long enough by then they were getting rid of the film stuff. Its been a while but wasn't there some sort of coupling either on the motor or in some other part of the mechanism that didn't age well?

                    There was also that Noreclo machine before the FP16. Core mechanism was pretty much the same except it was more of a projector head on a tripod base sort of thing. I think it just had the EL model number. I think the amplifier was in the base and it had room for lots of lamphouse options.

                    The 1970's was full of things from the likes of ORC and Knisley where they would take 'classroom' machines like a Pagent or various B&H models and stick them on some sort of 'long play' stand with a xenon behind them.

                    Comment

                    • Christian Anner
                      Newbie
                      • Jul 2025
                      • 15
                      • Rosenheim, Bavaria, Germany

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
                      Speaking of Kinoton models, I’m guessing they never made anything portable but still somewhat professional like the PK60, PK60A, PK60AD in a 16mm flavor?

                      Aside what are the reputations of those “portable” 35mm units?
                      oh yes, they did.
                      it was the "m18t" or similar.
                      thumbnail.jpg​

                      in 35mm it was the "FP23"
                      large.Kinoton2.jpg.49da926f6af9bbb5493d1f7e07d46f9c.jpg​

                      Comment

                      • Steve Guttag
                        Film God
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 3777
                        • Annapolis, MD

                        #26
                        There was also the EL5000 series. it was the FP16 mechanism but on a 3-legged base (and other base styles). The upper reel arm folded down (or could be removed). The lower reel spindle was clamped to the front leg of the base. They then used a woven cloth belt to drive the lower reel and act like a clutch.

                        Comment

                        • Mark Gulbrandsen
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 3093
                          • Nashville, TN

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Steve Guttag
                          There was also the EL5000 series. it was the FP16 mechanism but on a 3-legged base (and other base styles). The upper reel arm folded down (or could be removed). The lower reel spindle was clamped to the front leg of the base. They then used a woven cloth belt to drive the lower reel and act like a clutch.
                          I owned the portable version one of those for a short time. I was not at all impressed by the FP-16, it just wasn't all that steady. I also serviced a few that were out west. One in particular ran daily at the Sun Valley Opera House for a free showing of Sun Valley Serenade. I even mounted a Kelmar cleaner on it... I think the Bauer Selecton did a better job.

                          Comment

                          • Gordon McLeod
                            Expert Film Handler
                            • Jan 2020
                            • 565
                            • Toronto Ontario Canada

                            #28
                            There was a older design called the EL5001 that was of cast construction and had a straight gate

                            Comment

                            • Mark Gulbrandsen
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3093
                              • Nashville, TN

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Gordon McLeod
                              There was a older design called the EL5001 that was of cast construction and had a straight gate
                              Mine was cast a cast aluminum portable, But it had a curved gate. Perhaps the gates were interchangeable. I also had a brand new spare intermittent for it.

                              Comment

                              • Ryan Gallagher
                                Film God
                                • Nov 2022
                                • 2855
                                • Austin, Texas, USA

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Christian Anner

                                oh yes, they did.
                                it was the "m18t" or similar.

                                in 35mm it was the "FP23"
                                If I know my friend he'll now be lusting after that Kinoton M18t (assume T stands for tabletop or transportable?)
                                And if he found something like the FP23 he'd probably start buying 35mm too. lol.

                                Reputation aside, the form factor is certainly correct for someone not yet having built a dedicated booth at home, but is keen on something more projectionist centric than the consumer classroom projectors.

                                Comment

                                Working...