Is there a 35mm "Moviescop?"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Walt Shires
    Film Handler
    • Feb 2024
    • 47
    • Austin, Texas

    #1

    Is there a 35mm "Moviescop?"

    Does anyone know if there is a device like this for 35mm? If you haven't see one - it's basically a "playback" device that you would put between your rewinds and you could put the film in there and there was some sort of shutters/mirror that basically showed you the film as though it was playing. Based on the speed at which you are rewinding of course. It makes seeing the film easier than taking out a magnifying glass which is what I'm doing now. I am just a home theater guy - so I have all these reels of trailers and it would make it nice to see what is what when breaking them back down. I used these in film school for 16.


    Attached Files
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
  • Martin McCaffery
    Expert Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 575
    • Montgomery, Alabama

    #2
    Slightly more than what you are asking about is a Movieola. They were in use at least until the 80s, probably until the advent of digital.

    image.jpg

    Comment

    • Mark Gulbrandsen
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3093
      • Nashville, TN

      #3
      This would be the Moviescope equivelent to a 35mm viewer but made by Moviola. Needs restoration, and is way way over priced.
      Cinema 35mm projector. Condition to be repaired or for spare parts/does not work, I have not tested it I do not know if it works, the power cable is too old for me to connect it. Find in a succession, with a French filmmaker Alain Pol. There is no rust, good general conservation. Rare projector, for experienced collector. Some parts are missing, as you can see in the photos.

      Comment

      • Ryan Gallagher
        Film God
        • Nov 2022
        • 2855
        • Austin, Texas, USA

        #4
        Other than the Moviola options...

        Somewhere between a projector and and a scientific bench analyzer... Vanguard also made several models of things. A few examples on ebay, though they are pretty rare. They exist more in the scientific/military/medical side of the industry I believe. I once asked someone how they were shooting stills from their trailers at home, and one of these Vanguard type machines was the answer. IIRC there was even a model that has a traditional lens configuration for projection instead of the viewing box.

        Older Vanguard M 35CS (S13 was the 16mm drive head for it).
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/286324079260?_skw=vanguard+35mm&itmmeta=01K7N60W11 3VGSNH7X7VXPF6T0

        Vanguard_M-35CS.png

        "Newer" Vanguard CAP 35 B III
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/20134064459...5XHE7KQ4P2ACQB

        Vanguard_CAP_35B_III.png

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2855
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #5
          Speaking of ebay curiosities.... what are these "Atlas Studio Projectors" for? (Model 1063X) They seem about as bare bones as a 35mm projector can get.

          The listing only contains this hint:

          COMES AS SHOWN! Acquired from the storage of Hollywood Sound legend Tom McCormick of NT Audio.High cost, high value equipment for a fraction of the new /replacement price. Some cosmetic wear! No means to test!

          Same seller has 4 listed currently:
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/195979587158
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/404451792576
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/195979581891
          https://www.ebay.com/itm/364026570003



          Atlas_Studio.png

          Comment

          • Christian Anner
            Newbie
            • Jul 2025
            • 15
            • Rosenheim, Bavaria, Germany

            #6
            Originally posted by Walt Shires
            Does anyone know if there is a device like this for 35mm? If you haven't see one - it's basically a "playback" device that you would put between your rewinds and you could put the film in there and there was some sort of shutters/mirror that basically showed you the film as though it was playing. Based on the speed at which you are rewinding of course. It makes seeing the film easier than taking out a magnifying glass which is what I'm doing now. I am just a home theater guy - so I have all these reels of trailers and it would make it nice to see what is what when breaking them back down. I used these in film school for 16.

            this is a 16mm device without the spoolarms. Devices like this are often on ebay for a small dime, but... its 16mm.

            In Germany there was once a company called "schmid" they produced very small "filmschneidetische" for 35mm, or steenbeck, all horizontal, unlike the moviola.
            s-l1600.jpg​
            i´ve had the same, comes out of the lab. now i switched to the EC-Projector, needs less space

            Comment

            • Christian Anner
              Newbie
              • Jul 2025
              • 15
              • Rosenheim, Bavaria, Germany

              #7
              Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
              Speaking of ebay curiosities.... what are these "Atlas Studio Projectors" for? (Model 1063X) They seem about as bare bones as a 35mm projector can get.
              Seems to be just random spare parts.

              Comment

              • Randy Stankey
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 1388
                • Erie, PA, USA

                #8
                The Moviescop looks neat. It could come in handy to watch some stretch of film right at the bench. I'd like to see one up close.

                I don't know about you guys but, after years of rewinding film at a workbench, one kind of learns how to focus their eyes just the right way so that he can practically watch a movie with the naked eye.

                Comment

                • Ryan Gallagher
                  Film God
                  • Nov 2022
                  • 2855
                  • Austin, Texas, USA

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Randy Stankey
                  The Moviescop looks neat. It could come in handy to watch some stretch of film right at the bench. I'd like to see one up close.

                  I don't know about you guys but, after years of rewinding film at a workbench, one kind of learns how to focus their eyes just the right way so that he can practically watch a movie with the naked eye.
                  For fun with a visitor in the booth I once got my stoboscope out to do just that. Fun party trick.

                  Comment

                  • Randy Stankey
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 1388
                    • Erie, PA, USA

                    #10
                    I used to keep a zoetrope on the shelf, in the back of a cabinet, for just such purposes. I used to bring it out when training newbies and, like you said, it's a fun thing for visitors too.

                    I made new film strips for it, using my computer. Somewhere, I think I've still got one of Front Row Joe doing a little dance. I got the images by scanning frames from an old policy snipe.

                    Comment

                    • Jim Cassedy
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 1450
                      • San Francisco

                      #11
                      Several years ago, there was a table-top 35mm viewer on e-bay, complete
                      with a single-system optical sound pickup, which plugged into a standard
                      Movieola squwak-box speaker/amp. It was probably from the mid-1960's,
                      and the seller said it was in good working condition and the pictures seemed
                      to confirm that. The item had been listed just a couple of hours before I saw it.
                      The seller was asking $750, and shipping would have probably added another
                      $100-$125 or so. At the time I saw it, I didn't think too much of it, but about an
                      hour later, I decided I should buy it. But unfortunately, it had already been sold,
                      about 10min after I had seen it. I've always somewhat regretted not jumping
                      on that deal right away. I've never seen a similar unit since.

                      Comment

                      • Ryan Gallagher
                        Film God
                        • Nov 2022
                        • 2855
                        • Austin, Texas, USA

                        #12
                        Another non industry option if you are just tired of using a loupe on the light table is a digital inspection camera/scope rig to pair with the light table. It won’t do frame timed flashing or anything but at least you could sit up-right and view on a big monitor. The price gamut is pretty wide from hobby level up to entirely optical systems like Tegarno for people who need better depth field and perspective. Think micro-soldering inspection bench. But still for “spot” viewing, not an “as it rolls” type setup.

                        Comment

                        • Walt Shires
                          Film Handler
                          • Feb 2024
                          • 47
                          • Austin, Texas

                          #13
                          Yes - the Moviescop is really great for what it is. A simple viewer that will show you the image as you are reeling from one reel to another. If you're doing much 16mm - probably worth getting one.

                          I used a Steinbeck in school! Just like that blue one. Anyway - thanks for all the replies. I'll just keep searching eBay and maybe something will pop up. It seems like it wasn't quite as popular in the 35mm world as those kind of things were in the 8/16mm world.

                          I had thought about getting a LED panel and somehow putting it on the table. That would probably help a little. But - as you can imaging a 35mm Moviescop would be the best.

                          Comment

                          • Ryan Gallagher
                            Film God
                            • Nov 2022
                            • 2855
                            • Austin, Texas, USA

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Walt Shires
                            Yes - the Moviescop is really great for what it is. A simple viewer that will show you the image as you are reeling from one reel to another. If you're doing much 16mm - probably worth getting one.

                            I used a Steinbeck in school! Just like that blue one. Anyway - thanks for all the replies. I'll just keep searching eBay and maybe something will pop up. It seems like it wasn't quite as popular in the 35mm world as those kind of things were in the 8/16mm world.

                            I had thought about getting a LED panel and somehow putting it on the table. That would probably help a little. But - as you can imaging a 35mm Moviescop would be the best.
                            Lacking an actual light table, lots of cheats out there using phones/ipads with a "screen color" app to get white. Portable light pads and diffuse LED cabinet lighting strips are pretty prolific. Artists also use light tables/pads for tracing work so there is tons of options, photographers as well for negative viewing. For an inspection bench one built into the desk like the Kelmar's is "nice", but not required for home/hobby use. The main thing to avoid is sharp edges... film handling danger, that is why the recessed flush ones are ideal.
                            Last edited by Ryan Gallagher; 10-17-2025, 11:49 AM.

                            Comment

                            • Randy Stankey
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 1388
                              • Erie, PA, USA

                              #15
                              Get an LED panel that you can set to strobe at a set rate. (Guessing about 20-30 flashes per second.) If you set your film (rewind) speed and the flash rate just right, you might be able to watch the action on film.

                              When I was rewinding film at a Kelmar film bench that had a work light in the table top, I used to be able to set the film at a certain speed then focus my eyes to follow the motion of the film. It takes some practice but, once you figure it out, you can see the action on film. It makes your eyes tired, pretty quickly, but it's okay for a short time. I usually only did it when I was watching for a certain spot in the film but I could, probably, do it for five minutes at a time before my eyes needed a rest.

                              Comment

                              Working...