Elmo 16mm xenon projector lx-1100

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rob Clarke Tucker
    Film Handler
    • Sep 2024
    • 31
    • London

    #1

    Elmo 16mm xenon projector lx-1100

    Hi,

    Just bought an Elmo 16mm Xenon Projector LX-1100, at the moment i am trying to find out how to get the sound working as there is no power to the exciter lamp at the moment. Does anyone have a maintenance manual to hand, There appears to be some additional modifications add ons like auto focus. So i am hoping getting the power to the exciter lamp and amplifier will be fairly easy.

    Any thoughts or any ideas how this can be fixed will be greatly appreciated !
    Attached Files
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #2
    I seem to recall that the magnetic/optical switch, among other things, will keep the exciter lamp from coming on. Naturally, I'd also check that the exciter lamp power is there at the power supply. I don't know if we had LX schematics or not. The biggest problem I ever had with them were the nylon gears cracking.

    Comment

    • Jim Cassedy
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1450
      • San Francisco

      #3
      This is a really silly question- - but I assume you've checked that the exciter lamp is good?
      Last year I acquired an Eiki Telecine projector, with no sound, and it turned out that the
      exciter lamp had simply burned out.

      Comment

      • Ryan Gallagher
        Film God
        • Nov 2022
        • 2855
        • Austin, Texas, USA

        #4
        Also there is a whole forum for 8/16mm stuff as well! I had forgotten when I asked a recent 16mm question too. Not saying don't ask here, just that there might be other more familiar people hanging out over there.

        Comment

        • Rob Clarke Tucker
          Film Handler
          • Sep 2024
          • 31
          • London

          #5
          Originally posted by Steve Guttag
          I seem to recall that the magnetic/optical switch, among other things, will keep the exciter lamp from coming on. Naturally, I'd also check that the exciter lamp power is there at the power supply. I don't know if we had LX schematics or not. The biggest problem I ever had with them were the nylon gears cracking.
          Thanks Steve, i will check out the exciter lamp power along with the magnetic/optical switch, if you do come across a schematics to hand just let me know. Yes i have heard the nylon gears are a major problem, but thankfully they seem to be ok all considering.

          Hi Jim, a very good point which i will check again, but the filament with the naked eye seemed to be ok in the bulb.

          Comment

          • Leo Enticknap
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3572
            • Loma Linda, CA

            #6
            A simple continuity test with a multimeter should tell you if the exciter bulb is OK or NFG.

            Comment

            • Rob Clarke Tucker
              Film Handler
              • Sep 2024
              • 31
              • London

              #7
              Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
              A simple continuity test with a multimeter should tell you if the exciter bulb is OK or NFG.
              Hi Leo, bulb is fine, I suspect that either the amplifier is had it or the power to the exciter lamp or power to the amplifier or both. I’ll once again check the fuses which was the first thing I did to problem solve.

              i suppose the only alternative is to find parts or use a separate amplifier and exciter power supply ?

              Comment

              • Leo Enticknap
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 3572
                • Loma Linda, CA

                #8
                If the exciter lamp won't light up and you know that the lamp itself is OK, then that would point either to its power supply, or to Steve's suggestion: that there is some sort of control mechanism designed to preserve lamp life by only allowing it to be powered when optical sound playback is actually taking place (e.g. when the motor is running, or when a mag/optical selector is set to optical), and that this is faulty.

                Does your projector have a mic/aux input? If so, hooking something to that should tell you if the amplifier is OK or not.

                Comment

                • Rob Clarke Tucker
                  Film Handler
                  • Sep 2024
                  • 31
                  • London

                  #9
                  Looking back at the instructions manual and the amplifier and exciter lamp. There is one separate control that is used for both switching on the amplifier and exciter lamp at the same time. I also checked the amplifier using a separate speaker but had no luck in getting any sound out of this. I will try the mic/aux input as a last resort to see if the amplifier actually works. But if that does not, I can only assume it would be something mechanical or electrical that is the problem ?

                  Comment

                  • Rob Clarke Tucker
                    Film Handler
                    • Sep 2024
                    • 31
                    • London

                    #10
                    Well i have spent sometime considerable time in trying to figure out what the problem is and i am still at a loss. If any one has a maintenance manual to hand, or even the same machine, so that i can see what the problem is from looking at the back of the projector. This will be my only hope, i have a feeling that a cable either is not been connected or either a lead that might be missing from the anplifier/exciter board as pictured
                    Attached Files

                    Comment

                    • Kevin Hewus
                      Newbie
                      • Oct 2023
                      • 5
                      • Des Moines, IA

                      #11
                      I am not familiar with that model but my gut feeling is that it was used in a change over set up. Does the projection lamp work? Does the motor work? Is there a local / remote switch? That socket does look like it serves or did serve a purpose possibly a remote panel. Hopefully someone out there has a manual or schematics to help you better. Good luck.

                      Comment

                      • Rob Clarke Tucker
                        Film Handler
                        • Sep 2024
                        • 31
                        • London

                        #12
                        Hi Kevin, it would appear to be the case, the projector lamp does work along with the motor. The only thing that does not work is the exciter lamp and amplifier. And yes i have been told that lead/socket was used for automation set up. And yes there is a change over system on the projector where that lead comes from which was used. Hopefully some one has a manual or schematics so i can figure this all out. I have even looked back at s previous post on this forum where someone had a similar problem (not the same of course) which included a page from the maintenance manual schematic (please see below). He wanted to change it back to it being linked up as a change over system.

                        I have even looked at this to try and figure out why the amplifer and exciter lamp is not working. I have noticed a jump lead on the pedestal terminal strip between 14 & 17 which i took out which made no difference. Along with finding a lead that is attached to terminal 7 lamp off and terminal 9 which i just detached one wire to see if it makes any difference ?

                        Still baffling as there is no power to the amplifier or the exciter lamp after all this.


                        https://www.film-tech.com/vbb/forum/...100-changeover


                        image_4134.png

                        Comment

                        • Rob Clarke Tucker
                          Film Handler
                          • Sep 2024
                          • 31
                          • London

                          #13
                          Just an update on this it would appear i will need a new amplifier/exciter circuit board as it appears it's been heavily modified. So if anyone knows who stocks Elmo parts or if i can use the same circuit board from another Elmo projector, please drop me a line.

                          Thanks.

                          Comment

                          • Juergen Kellermann
                            Newbie
                            • Sep 2024
                            • 16
                            • Adelaide, Australia

                            #14
                            I think your best bet is to post something on 16mmFilmTalk, there are several 16mm technicians who are members...

                            You will need to become a member, but that's not a problem.

                            Also, you can get some ELMO spare parts here (and on eBay)...

                            The owner of this website also services 16mm projectors, incl. ELMO.

                            Comment

                            • Rob Clarke Tucker
                              Film Handler
                              • Sep 2024
                              • 31
                              • London

                              #15
                              Thanks Juergen, i have already contacted RCS Classics but they can't help me, With 16mm Film Talk no luck there either. I may just have to find an alternative for both power to the exciter and separate amplifier either built in or as a separate.

                              Comment

                              Working...