Bracket on front of projector

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Adam Liberman
    Film Handler
    • Sep 2024
    • 71
    • Portland, OR, USA

    #1

    Bracket on front of projector

    What is this bracket above the lens on the front of my Century C projectors? Is it to hold a cinemascope adapter?

    century_c_bracket.jpg
  • Phillip Grace
    Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 74
    • Melbourne, Australia.

    #2
    The bracket is used to hold a Panavision Super Panatar variable anamorphic lens. The anamorphic attachment is quite heavy, and doesn't lend itself to close coupling to the backing lens. The mount has quite a lot of adjustments for precise and repeatable positioning of the anamorphic. Another version of the bracket was made to fit the curved top of a Super Simplex projector.
    You can find a manual for the Super Panatar in the F.T. Warehouse which has pictures of the assembly.

    Comment

    • Adam Liberman
      Film Handler
      • Sep 2024
      • 71
      • Portland, OR, USA

      #3
      Originally posted by Phillip Grace
      The bracket is used to hold a Panavision Super Panatar variable anamorphic lens
      Thank you!

      Comment

      • Tony Bandiera Jr
        Expert Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 720
        • Moreland, Idaho

        #4
        Originally posted by Adam Liberman
        What is this bracket above the lens on the front of my Century C projectors? Is it to hold a cinemascope adapter?

        century_c_bracket.jpg
        My first projectionist job was at an Air Force Base Theatre, and my Simplex XL's had those brackets and the Super Panatars.

        On one particular memorable day, I found out what happens if you don't hook BOTH of the top hooks on that bracket correctly.

        I ran my flat trailers on the first machine, did a changeover to the 'Scope feature..... only to have the picture hit the side wall of the auditorium! I stopped the machine, and the manager, in a panic, ran upstairs to see what was wrong. As I was inspecting the projector to try and figure out what I did (I had thought maybe I hadn't put the aperture plate in all the way), he had taken the reel off the machine and was frantically rewinding it (his thought was I had the film wrong side out). I started the projector, opened the dowser to see where the light was going...and noticed I had the Panatar cocked on the top hooks. I shifted it over, the white light magically moving back on to the screen... And got the reel back reverse-wound. So I threw it up on the top spindle (realizing the reel end alarm wasn't going to work with backwards rotation) and finished the show.

        Good times.

        Comment

        • Jim Cassedy
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1450
          • San Francisco

          #5
          Definitely a Super Panatar lens mounting bracket. Back in the late 70's I worked at many
          venues that still had them, and thery were 'standard issue' at several military theaters I've
          worked at. Actually, I never thought of it as a 'lens' , per se, because to me it was just a big,
          heavy box with a couple of large prisms inside, one of which could be rotated through a certain
          arc which allowed you to vary the horizontal 'squeeze' ratio by turning that big knob on top,
          although I never had occasion to try that.

          For the technically curious, there's an installation & operating manual for one here:
          https://www.widescreenmuseum.com/wid...tar_manual.htm

          Here's a photo from a recent e-bay listing, and it shows the brackets well.
          SuperPanatar.jpg

          The original price for one of these in 1954 was $895 per pair, which is over $10,000 in 2025 dollars.
          The e-bay listing I stole this picture from was selling for $444.00, which, I think is overpriced for the
          condition it's in, but I suppose it's a bargain compared to the inflation adjusted original price.
          ( I've seen better ones on e-bay listed for less)
          Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 11-27-2025, 09:56 AM.

          Comment

          • Tj Hopland
            Pro Film Handler
            • Jun 2025
            • 264
            • Minneapolis, MN

            #6
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

            Comment

            Working...