70MM 2.39:1 is a thing in 2025-2026 with three releases

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #1

    70MM 2.39:1 is a thing in 2025-2026 with three releases

    The first time I encountered 70mm 2.39 was in 1987 with the release of The Untouchables. It was annoying then, as it is now. Traditionally, a 70mm blow up would just crop the sides to the 2.20 ratio that is native to 70mm. However, the Auteurs we have now (that some seem to have no problem with changing aspect ratios mid-show) have decided that 2.39 will be the projection ratio for not one, not two, but three 70mm releases this season.

    Kill Bill-The Whole Bloody Affair
    Marty Supreme
    The Testament of Ann Lee


    Are all in 70mm 2.39 for the release. Whereas the AFI/Silver is running all three (in 70mm), they deemed the format worthy of setting up lenses, cutting aperture plates. The AFI/Silver, in theatre 1, has three sided movable masking (the bottom is fixed masking and just above the stage). Since the theatre was originally built in the Art Deco era, wide-screen has always be a challenge. 70mm has, traditionally been full-height of its screen but not full width. With 70mm 2.39, the opportunity is now to let 70mm have full width since the height will be cropped for the 2.39 image.

    image.png​
    To give myself some stop markers (I start such plates with a "nibbling" tool, I decided to put some lines on the plate first. The plate is for a Kinoton FP75E (same as the DP75 70mm plate). Kinoton does scribe the normal 70mm full aperture into their plates. Thus far I've never seen any measured test film with target lines for 2.39:1. The last iteration of 70PA from SMPTE's RP91 did (finally) show some 1.85:1 lines (and 2:1) though most 1.85:1 prints are pretty loose with centering as well as the nominal width. Boston Light and Sound's target (BLS1591), which came out for the UP70 release of H8, also does not show anything for 2.39 (or the narrower ratios). For 2.39, the dashed line for ~7.5% cropping is about right though 10% is probably safer to allow for printing variances as well as the use of rock/roll printing, which will bias off the opposite side of the perforation, depending on which direction a particular reel is printed.

    ​image.png​

    Nothing moves so slow as cutting a 70mm plate. They, typically, take 3-times as long to cut as a 35mm plate.
  • Paul H. Rayton
    Film Handler
    • May 2020
    • 81
    • Los Angeles, Calif.

    #2
    That, plus 70mm aperture plates -- if you can get any -- cost way more than 3X the price of 35mm aperture plates!

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #3
      Close Encounters reprint was another modern 2.39:1 70mm blow up!

      At minimum I expect we'll be showing the Kill Bill Affair eventually here, Jesus how many changeover reels is that? It's 3 films mashed together. I'm hopeful my 2.39 plate efforts for Close Encounters will do the business on all future 2.39 silliness, but there might be variances in the lab under sizing or biasing to contend with as you suggest.

      Have test film frustrations in our booth too, our 70mm framing chart loops are in pretty rough shape, very vintage. They were enough to get our framing centered, and thankfully Sony was able to provide us a short test proof reel I used to set our masking, and filed to that. The only width we lose with our 70mm lenses is due to any lab under sizing. Hard to justify a lens set for one off rep prints, that and we were a vaudville house originally... 1.66 looks great in our proscenium, going wider does get slightly wider due to the proscenium curve permitting more width, but no where as wide as a classic widescreen venue would/should be.

      Comment

      • Ryan Gallagher
        Film God
        • Nov 2022
        • 2855
        • Austin, Texas, USA

        #4
        Originally posted by Paul H. Rayton
        That, plus 70mm aperture plates -- if you can get any -- cost way more than 3X the price of 35mm aperture plates!
        I've not gotten a price quote, but I know Film-Tech has 70mm Century plates (that they manufacture), not sure about the other models. Blank Century plates are stupid easy to cut from stock though (minus the exact filing). Could probably get a decent price on send-cut-send or other fab services.

        Comment

        • Jim Cassedy
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1450
          • San Francisco

          #5
          Originally posted by Paul H. Rayton
          That, plus 70mm aperture plates -- if you can get any -- cost way more
          than 3X the price of 35mm aperture plates!
          About two years ago, I I was lucky enough to snatch 6 JJ Plates on ebay
          almost as soon as they were posted. I didn't actually 'need' them, but I
          wanted them as insurance just in case I did, and I wanted them bad
          enough that I didn't care what they cost. I've only needed to use two
          so far, and I still consider that purchase to be a good investment.

          Comment

          • Jim Cassedy
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1450
            • San Francisco

            #6
            Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
            I expect we'll be showing the Kill Bill Affair eventually
            here, Jesus how many changeover reels is that?
            Jesus and my FedX guy can confirm that K-B-T-W-B-A is 9 (projection) reels, although
            several of them, such as R3 look to be only a little over ½ full. More change-overs, but
            not having them full-to-the-edge will make them easier to lift. But IMO they probably
            could have fit it onto 8 projection reels.

            KILL BILL - THE WHOLE BLOODY PRINT
            KillBillShipment.jpg
            jc
            Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 12-04-2025, 09:35 AM.

            Comment

            • Ryan Gallagher
              Film God
              • Nov 2022
              • 2855
              • Austin, Texas, USA

              #7
              Originally posted by Jim Cassedy

              Jesus and my FedX guy can confirm that K-B-T-W-B-A is 9 (projection) reels, although
              several of them, such as R3 look to be only a little over ½ full. More change-overs, but
              not having them full-to-the-edge will make them easier to lift. But IMO they probably
              could have fit it onto 8 projection reels.

              KILL BILL - THE WHOLE BLOODY PRINT
              9 is fewer than I was imagining. I guess our longer epics really are that long, like 3 movies long. We scored 4 JJ blanks on ebay in my tenure, but have filed all of them now. 1.85 undersized (The Searchers) and 2.39 undersized (Close Encounters). I'm waiting for a 1.38, 1.66, or god forbid 2.00, shoe to drop, would need more plates for those.

              Comment

              • Ryan Gallagher
                Film God
                • Nov 2022
                • 2855
                • Austin, Texas, USA

                #8
                Sorry, I meant 2 movies mashed together, but two long ones.

                Is 4.5 hours a format record? What are the platter houses doing? (Bigger than prior platter extension efforts?)

                Comment

                • Josh Jones
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Feb 2024
                  • 153
                  • McKinney, TX

                  #9
                  I have heard there is an intermission. Pretty hard to expect any audience to sit through that much film without a chance to let out some diet coke.

                  Comment

                  • Steve Guttag
                    Film God
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 3777
                    • Annapolis, MD

                    #10
                    Gettysburg was of equivalent length, 70mm and DTS audio. Back then, there were none of this fancy-schmancy HDD based servers...If you had a DTS-6, you only had 2-trays (well, caddy slots) and had to swap discs during the intermission. I forget when the DTS-6D came out (had 3-drives and ditched the caddies). I forget if Gettysburg was 3 or 4 discs. If 3-disc you could have loaded the whole movie.

                    At the Uptown in DC, we started with the DTS-6, like everyone else, for Jurassic Park. However, I'm pretty sure we switched to the DTS-6D by the time we started running 70mm DTS as we did have two player and the auto-backup board that would switch to the backup player if something went wrong. I'm reasonably certain we had it in the combination of 70mm and DTS but since that is 1993 (DTS' inaugural year) it is possible that we didn't have that combination. I definitely remember swapping discs mid show and we ran 70mm most of the time up through 1993...before digital audio started to cut down on 70mm releases.

                    Comment

                    • Scotty Wright
                      Pro Film Handler
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 138
                      • Seattle, Washington

                      #11
                      Any idea of the bona fides of the kill bill release? I assume DI printout based on the recent 4K remaster with new elements being cut in, but I haven’t been able to find one way or the other.

                      Ann Lee and Marty Supreme are definitely DI print outs.

                      Comment

                      • Ryan Gallagher
                        Film God
                        • Nov 2022
                        • 2855
                        • Austin, Texas, USA

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Scotty Wright
                        Any idea of the bona fides of the kill bill release? I assume DI printout based on the recent 4K remaster with new elements being cut in, but I haven’t been able to find one way or the other.

                        Ann Lee and Marty Supreme are definitely DI print outs.
                        I would assume DI is correct if IMDB technical page is at all trustworthy on this one:

                        Comment

                        • Chris Haller
                          Pro Film Handler
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 125
                          • Rochester, NY, USA

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher

                          What are the platter houses doing? (Bigger than prior platter extension efforts?)
                          I can confirm from Victor Liorentas's facebook photo that popped into my recommended feed earlier that Cineplex Varsity has the two halves on separate decks. Platter one ends with the intermission and platter two jumps right into the next chapter.

                          The Varsity has it easy with these 2.39 letterboxed frames - they have a native 2.20:1 screen, so the image looked perfect today with slight letterboxing. A very nice 70mm print. Good color and detail for a 2000s 3-perf 35mm shoot finished with a DI blown up to 70mm. The projection was excellent - bright and relatively steady. 4.5 hours is a looooooong time to sit and hang with a Tarrantino movie though. Not sure I'd come back for round two. I did pop over to the TIFF Lightbox to check out that 70mm print of North by Northwest from last year??? and was very, very impressed with what I saw. Though every changeover was just slightly too early and it threw off the rhythm of the movie each time. Oh well.

                          Comment

                          • Michael Coate
                            Pro Film Handler
                            • Feb 2020
                            • 103
                            • Los Angeles, California, USA

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Steve Guttag
                            Gettysburg was of equivalent length, 70mm and DTS audio.
                            Gettysburg 70mm prints were mag. (Its 35s had DTS.)

                            Comment

                            • Steve Guttag
                              Film God
                              • Jan 2020
                              • 3777
                              • Annapolis, MD

                              #15
                              Michael, if you have access to the Washington Post from the era, I would be interested to see what the Uptown in DC was promoting (70mm and/or DTS). What I remember is doing disc swaps and I can't remember us running a title that was available in 70mm when we didn't run it in 70mm. Heck, I don't remember if we ran a screening or the full-run, it's been that long ago.

                              Comment

                              Working...