Best felt for clutches

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Raia
    Pro Film Handler
    • Dec 2024
    • 286
    • Newburgh, New York

    #1

    Best felt for clutches

    What is the best type felt to make replacement felt clutches for reel arms?

    I know the thickness that I need. 1\8 inch

    I see compressed, Wool, dense etc, also there seems to be a "F" rating, F1, F2, F3 etc.
  • Marcel Birgelen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3619
    • Maastricht, NL

    #2
    Compressed is probably wood-based, which I'd skip? Wool is natural fibers, which I'd also skip. I guess the best option is synthetic, made from acrylonitrile​ with the highest F-rating you can get. I'm not sure if that qualifies as dense...

    The higher the F-rating, the more flre-retarding properties the material will have.

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #3
      I think "compressed" is a structual/density spec, and not limited to the rayon (wood pulp) felts. I've had mine out and they are pretty dense, but I can't testify if they qualify as "compressed" or not.

      Comment

      • Frank Raia
        Pro Film Handler
        • Dec 2024
        • 286
        • Newburgh, New York

        #4
        So Ryan, what felt do you use?

        Comment

        • Jim Cassedy
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 1450
          • San Francisco

          #5
          Somewhere, in all the years I've been doing this, I seem to recall having a set
          of reel arms that used cork, instead of felt. Or maybe it was a combination of
          the two.

          Comment

          • Ryan Gallagher
            Film God
            • Nov 2022
            • 2855
            • Austin, Texas, USA

            #6
            Originally posted by Frank Raia
            So Ryan, what felt do you use?
            I have no exact advice, I have not ventured to replace ours yet... just re-oiled them.

            Comment

            • Mark Gulbrandsen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3093
              • Nashville, TN

              #7
              If these are for Kelmar or similar arms you can get them from Ny dealer. Kelmar is still in business.

              Comment

              • Ryan Gallagher
                Film God
                • Nov 2022
                • 2855
                • Austin, Texas, USA

                #8
                I’d love my venue to invest in some Keller 35/70 arms, because yes they are still in business, but stuck with our Ballantyne/Simplex arms for now (with the spindle latches that don’t like the FT plastic 70mm reels).

                Comment

                • Jesse Crooks
                  Pro Film Handler
                  • Feb 2020
                  • 149
                  • Doylestown, PA

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jim Cassedy
                  Somewhere, in all the years I've been doing this, I seem to recall having a set
                  of reel arms that used cork, instead of felt. Or maybe it was a combination of
                  the two.
                  Some really old clutches also used leather.

                  Comment

                  • Tony Bandiera Jr
                    Expert Film Handler
                    • Jan 2020
                    • 720
                    • Moreland, Idaho

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Ryan Gallagher
                    I’d love my venue to invest in some Keller 35/70 arms, because yes they are still in business, but stuck with our Ballantyne/Simplex arms for now (with the spindle latches that don’t like the FT plastic 70mm reels).
                    Ask the bean counters which they'd rather do: Pony up a few grand or so for new reel arms that work safely, or pay out up to tens of thousands for a damaged print when (not if) a reel decides to exit the chat with the projector running. (Not to mention revenue lost on refunds or worse, a Workman's Comp claim paid out to an injured projectionist.)

                    Looking at Kelmar's 2019 price list, a set of arms with 35mm and 70mm spindles is around $1750.00 per projector, so figure maybe $2200-$2500 per projector today's pricing. And you can find them on fleabay as well for less.

                    Reel arms are cheap compared to the alternatives, and as capital equipment, they're a tax write off as well.

                    Comment

                    • Steve Guttag
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 3777
                      • Annapolis, MD

                      #11
                      I would suggest making the Ballantyne arms work. Seriously, they are a better reel arm than Kelmar. The spindle is more substantial, the clutch mechanism is better. Back when we were selling them new, we never had a problem with the latches. If the problem is with the plastic reels, consider what you can do to accommodate (it may be a matter of filing/machining the hub or how the spindle mounts to get the length).

                      Comment

                      Working...