Bauer U2 red light reader

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Markus Lemm
    Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 30
    • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

    #1

    Bauer U2 red light reader

    Here's a quick history of the situation. I've got a couple Bauer U2 projectors up and running at a local theatre. I used to work there as a relief projectionist until about 2012 when they switched to digital.
    The theatre switched to red light readers with laser diodes in about 2004 and projector Film-Tech Cinema Systems was never 100%. I got everything working but projector #2, even after multiple alignments, it's still not perfect. Sometimes noticeable fuzziness in the audio.

    I found a bunch of spare parts on another U2 and it has a Kelmar reverse scan reader/led on it. It's missing the power supply. I've attached some pictures. It looks like they used the Kelmar SRD clamp to mount the reader. I'm guessing this was custom install since I can;t find a listing for the U2 just the U3.

    I was thinking of swapping the laser diode out and replacing it with the Kelmar reader. Thoughts?
    Can anyone confirm the mount is and what power supply I would need?

    I'm going to pull the unit off and see what wires are coming out the back of the units.

    Thanks,

    Kelmar2s.jpg

    Kelmar1s.jpg
    Attached Files
  • Mark Gulbrandsen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3093
    • Nashville, TN

    #2
    With that second pair being so dirty and corroded, I would recommend you install new laser diodes in the original readers first. If two or three segments burn out in those at either end, the sound can be some what fuzzy and garbled as the track goes from quiet to loud. If you can't locate any new laser diodes locally, or via people on this site, I know another retired dealer that still has over 100 in stock. So just let me know. Also, Kelmar is still in business should you need new power supplies.

    Comment

    Working...