Need help with Homemade mic cable for B-chain alignment

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Raia
    Pro Film Handler
    • Dec 2024
    • 286
    • Newburgh, New York

    #1

    Need help with Homemade mic cable for B-chain alignment

    Need help with cable to hook up phantom powered mic to CP500.

    The mic is a behringer ECM8000 (I know its not the best, but good enough for me)
    The processor is a CP500

    I made a cable and used pins 1 (+), 2 (-) and 6 (ground) from CP500 to xlr pin 1 (ground), 2 (+) and 3 (-). No power to any XLR pins
    Changed it. Pin 6(ground), Pin 7 (Hot), pin 8(-) from CP500 to XLR pin 1 (ground), Pin 2 (Hot), pin 3 (-). Get 24v.

    Is the second option correct at 24V? I thought it should be 48v?

    Or am I wrong either way?
  • Marco Giustini
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1168
    • Reading, UK

    #2
    You cannot go wrong, follow the pinout (remember female and male are reversed) and it'll work. To confirm, buzz the pins once you've done, the plugs will have 1-2-3 printed on it so you cannot go wrong.

    I really never checked the actual voltage, maybe it reads lower if nothing is connected to it?

    ECM8000 might be fine sonically, mine physically failed after a while so in the end a good MM-1 is a small investment.

    XLR+Connector+Pinout+Diagram+Rear+Pin+2+Hot+v2+green.webp

    Comment

    • Frank Raia
      Pro Film Handler
      • Dec 2024
      • 286
      • Newburgh, New York

      #3
      Marco, I have the pin out okay. My question is more for the CP500 side. Why only 24v? And I forgot to mention I made sure the phantom power jumper is active.

      Comment

      • Tony Bandiera Jr
        Expert Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 720
        • Moreland, Idaho

        #4
        Originally posted by Frank Raia
        Marco, I have the pin out okay. My question is more for the CP500 side. Why only 24v? And I forgot to mention I made sure the phantom power jumper is active.
        Why not?

        Seriously though, "Phantom power" for microphones has no real standard fixed voltage. It can range from as low as +9vdc all the way up to +52vdc. Most mics can operate within that range just fine, though some might lack dynamic range at the lower end (less than 24vdc.) +48 volt was used a lot in pro audio mixing consoles for decades when early condenser mics needed more power, but newer pro audio mixers are going to 24vdc.

        The 24vdc from a CP 500 is no surprise as it is one of the common power supply rails used in that processor (and most other early Dolby cinema processors.)

        In simple terms, it is a nothing burger as far as powering your mic with. It'll work just fine.

        Comment

        • Frank Raia
          Pro Film Handler
          • Dec 2024
          • 286
          • Newburgh, New York

          #5
          Thanks Tony. Didn't know if it was not supplying the correct amount of voltage. Being an old unit.

          Comment

          Working...