September 2026: Due to a software update, all users will be required to change their password.
Use the login dialog to enter your credentials and follow the link to change your password.
If you don't know your password or user name, use the "Forgot Password" link in the login dialog.
Now that the original question has been answered........
So with this setup is there a feed out and take up spool? Or can it be run either direction? I suppose in many cases you would not usually need to remove a full reel? Or were these sometimes treated like platters in a multiplex so you were shuffling full reels around the plex all the time? Or swapping reels during your split or fest?
The side by side version is the same just different layout that could better suit a space or workflow?
I know this concept was never especially popular in the USA. I think I remember seeing catalogs and hearing that Xetron was importing a Cinemeccanica version in the early xenon and automation days but I don't think it was that popular. I'm sure it wasn't cheap and then you had the limitation of needing some time to rewind so you could not run the same title back to back without a decent gap. Eventually Eprad and I'm sure a few others came up with some options that helped the cost issue but I think that rewind time was often a problem. Real small towns that didn't have multiple show times or drive ins seemed to be where most of them ended up.
How fast could the Kinoton or Cinemeccanica rewind safely and reliably? I know the Eprad about 1/2 hour for a 2 hour feature was starting to get into that danger zone.
Now that the original question has been answered........
So with this setup is there a feed out and take up spool? Or can it be run either direction?
The side by side version is the same just different layout that could better suit a space or workflow?
How fast could the Kinoton or Cinemeccanica rewind safely and reliably? I know the Eprad about 1/2 hour for a 2 hour feature was starting to get into that danger zone.
There is an inherent feed and takeup on the Kinoton spool towers, but that's just because the rewind is configured to only run 1 way. The motors and control system will allow you to run to or from either reel on the tower. The side by side K model is the same internals and functionality, just better suited for some locations where you don't have quite so much height (or never want to lift a fully loaded reel up that high). Either model will rewind 17,000' of film (or a 180 minute feature) in 15 minutes; they move quite fast.
You'll find that the SPT5000 lines up quite nicely with their FP30 series projectors so the upper reel is always the supply reel and the lower is always the take up.
Just out of interest can you use small reels like 6k reels on SPT5000. Obviously the full height is around 7ft higher then my ceiling requirements of 6.5 ft. Obviously having the SPT5000K would be better, space wise. I will be using this with a FP30 series.
Just out of interest can you use small reels like 6k reels on SPT5000.
Yes, there is a reel size select switch on the back to adjust tension/speed. As long as you have reels with an appropriate shaft diameter, you will be golden.
What is the shaft size on the unit? Did they make different ones or was there just one option? I assume the build up shaft had some quick change options?
What are the sizes around the world? Seems like I remember 9mm being used somewhere?
What is the shaft size on the unit? Did they make different ones or was there just one option? I assume the build up shaft had some quick change options?
What are the sizes around the world? Seems like I remember 9mm being used somewhere?
They are by default 12.7mm, aka 1/2". You could special order a different size, but nominally they came with the 1/2" shafts.
What they called the "external mechanical friction" for 600m / 2000' reels came with a 9mm shaft.
To my knowledge, 9mm was the European standard for smaller reels, akin to what we use 5/16" shafts for in the USA. Kinoton offered it as a shaft option on their projectors in addition to other sizes.
Comment