I wanted to ask if anyone could advise me on the correct procedure for loading and unloading onto a platter.
I have a Christie AW3R platter and an MU table.
At the moment when loading a film I remove the belt from the MU table pulley and apply gentle resistance to the reel as the film winds onto the platter. I do this because, with the belt attached, there is considerable force required to rotate the pulley, belt, and motor spindle — more than seems ‘right’ or kind to the film. The pulley and motor spindle are free running and I can detect no mechanical resistance that would cause this resistance.
When unloading the film from the platter, I also notice a lot of resistance when rotating the platter, especially after the first four reels have been removed and the film diameter is much smaller. Although not completely resolved I have noticed that when the correct platter is switched on, there is less resistance. Is back EMF at play here?
On the last reels, I tend to hold the motor drive away from the platter (with a small wedge) and apply light finger pressure to the top surface of the platter to keep the tension within limits.
I’m not sure whether this approach is how the system is intended to be used, so any clarity or advice would be much appreciated.
Comment