Unstable frame kinoton fp30

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Javier de Blas
    Film Handler
    • Jan 2025
    • 47
    • Madrid, Spain, Europe

    #1

    Unstable frame kinoton fp30

    Hello everyone. I have a problem with my kinoton fp30. Polyester prints are a bit unstable vertically, acetate prints look alright. I'm worried it could be a register pin problem. If you guys can tell me things I can check to find what's the problem it would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Also, let me tell you how it goes. When I start giving more pressure to the film the shakiness reduces as it usually does but it comes to a point where is still a bit shaky and no matter how much more pressure i give it, it does not fix it.
  • Stefan Scholz
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 298
    • Berlin Germany

    #2
    Skies and pressure plate still ok or worn out? Ceramic rollers clean and without grooves? Loops in right sizes? Intermittent sprocket still good?

    Comment

    • Tj Hopland
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jun 2025
      • 264
      • Minneapolis, MN

      #3
      I don't know the models that well or if there should be some letters on the end of that but does this have a coupler? If so that's where I would be looking.

      Comment

      • Josh Jones
        Pro Film Handler
        • Feb 2024
        • 153
        • McKinney, TX

        #4
        Originally posted by Tj Hopland
        I don't know the models that well or if there should be some letters on the end of that but does this have a coupler? If so that's where I would be looking.
        Yup, a common wear item on the Kinotons.

        Comment

        • Adrian Avram
          Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 38
          • Romania

          #5
          Javier did not specified what type of FP30 projector it has, there are variants FP30A, FP30D and FP30E, which are very different when it comes to intermittent movement.
          If we are talking about the pure mechanical one, FP30A, then indeed the main culprit of up/ down shakeiness is a worn out coupling bushing, seen below joining the drive shaft and intemittent sprocket shaft.

          Coupling bushing.png

          Comment

          • Gordon McLeod
            Expert Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 565
            • Toronto Ontario Canada

            #6
            It is probably not the coupler as acetate prints run ok most likely gate tension issue

            Comment

            • Jim Cassedy
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1450
              • San Francisco

              #7
              Originally posted by Gordon McLeod
              <edited> most likely gate tension issue
              Before you panic too much and start pulling things apart, I had a stability problem with
              a polyester print a few months ago, and it turned out to be a problem with the print, and
              not with the projector. We have a 2-proj change-over system, and although the problem
              showed up on both projectors, it was a little worse on one than on the other. Setting the
              gate tension on the Century JJ's to maximum fixed it on the right-side projector, although
              I still had some jitter on my left side machine.

              BUT THIS FIXED IT!
              JitterStopper.jpg

              ​I've run more than a dozen different 35mm features since then, (without the
              rubber band
              ) and haven't had problems. It was just that one stupid polyester print.

              I was actually surprised the rubber band didn't melt, since the gate & trap, even though
              water cooled, still gets pretty hot with our 4.5k Xenons, but it survived all week OK.
              Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 03-24-2026, 10:26 AM.

              Comment

              • Julian Antos
                Newbie
                • Jan 2020
                • 16
                • Chicago, IL USA

                #8
                It’s possible the omega spring, which applies gate tension, is wearing out and needs to be replaced. Ideally gate tension would be at no more than 2/3 for polyester films.

                Comment

                • Gordon McLeod
                  Expert Film Handler
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 565
                  • Toronto Ontario Canada

                  #9
                  Remember than polyester prints are thinner than acetate so the gate tension must be increased

                  Comment

                  • Christian Anner
                    Newbie
                    • Jul 2025
                    • 15
                    • Rosenheim, Bavaria, Germany

                    #10
                    If the skates and the pressure plate is new and its adjusted in the right way, the pressure gauge has to be within the range of total minus ( - ) and medium. In the Lab were i once worked we had all Kinotons adjusted that way and there was no adjusting between acetate and polyester necessary. To find the right adjustment could be a PITA but when its finally done right, the machine, even with the geneva movement is not much louder than a standard 16mm Projektor.

                    Comment

                    • Mark Gulbrandsen
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 3093
                      • Nashville, TN

                      #11
                      All good advice here, but I did not see anyone mention to determine if it's the coupler that has started to fail, or if it's a tension issue. Both can cause much the same thing.

                      Comment

                      • Gordon McLeod
                        Expert Film Handler
                        • Jan 2020
                        • 565
                        • Toronto Ontario Canada

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen
                        All good advice here, but I did not see anyone mention to determine if it's the coupler that has started to fail, or if it's a tension issue. Both can cause much the same thing.
                        If it was the coupler it would do it on acetate and ester prints which he says it does not

                        Comment

                        • Ryan Gallagher
                          Film God
                          • Nov 2022
                          • 2855
                          • Austin, Texas, USA

                          #13
                          To check if it is a bad/shaky printing, remove the aperture plate and pan to where the sprockets are visible on screen, if they are stable but image is not definitely the print. Hard to do during a show of course!

                          Comment

                          • Javier de Blas
                            Film Handler
                            • Jan 2025
                            • 47
                            • Madrid, Spain, Europe

                            #14
                            Hello! Sorry for not taking a look at this in so long. It's been a crazy couple of months.
                            For starters, I took part of installing the first 70mm projector in Madrid in Spain since the 80s. And then projecting three times a day for a month and a half. I recorded a little video of the DP75 and the cinema if anyone is interested.



                            And then I was kicked out of the photo lab where I used to have my kinoton. Which I'm currently in the process of installing in my house. I'll make a video when it's all finished and ready.

                            Now, answering your questions.

                            Originally posted by Stefan Scholz
                            Skies and pressure plate still ok or worn out? Ceramic rollers clean and without grooves? Loops in right sizes? Intermittent sprocket still good?
                            The skies were a bit worn out, but I interchange them and they seem to be ok now, the pressure plate is fine. Even though, now that I'm doing a proper full maintenance. I think the height of it needs to be adjusted.
                            The rollers are clean and not worn out. Anyway, in the maintenance I'll take all out and do a more thorough cleaning of them.
                            Loops are right, that I know right, the classic two fingers top, one finger bottom.
                            The intermittent sprocket it's quite dirty and with very little visibility it has I don't know if the pins are fine or not. That's one the reasons where I would bet money the problem is. Again, I'll try to find a replacement and change it now in maintenance.

                            Comment

                            • Javier de Blas
                              Film Handler
                              • Jan 2025
                              • 47
                              • Madrid, Spain, Europe

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Adrian Avram
                              Javier did not specified what type of FP30 projector it has, there are variants FP30A, FP30D and FP30E, which are very different when it comes to intermittent movement.
                              If we are talking about the pure mechanical one, FP30A, then indeed the main culprit of up/ down shakeiness is a worn out coupling bushing, seen below joining the drive shaft and intemittent sprocket shaft.

                              Coupling bushing.png
                              It's an FP30D. I'm really afraid it could be the framing. Because I don't see an easy fix to that. Generally, I don't see how could I even get the piece of plastic that worms out connecting the intermittent sprocket and the geneva drive.

                              Comment

                              Working...