CP650 Error log

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Adam Liberman
    Film Handler
    • Sep 2024
    • 71
    • Portland, OR, USA

    #1

    CP650 Error log

    I just picked up a CP650 (returnable) and want to make sure that it is working properly. I haven't had a chance to test it with signals.

    1) Should the fan be running, or is it thermostatically controlled?
    2) In the event log, it had some clock power failed entries. After restarting it, and setting the clock, it hasn't generated any more of these errors. Is there a coin cell (no mentioned in docs), or is it just a capacitor that was discharged because it hadn't been plugged in for a long time (that's what I am figuring)?
    3) Each time it is started up, the event log has a "startup" entry, and about a minute later, a "check error log" entry. There is no mention in the installation manual of an error log (just the event log). The message is only shown when specifically viewing the event log. There's no errors shown on startup, and it appears to pass all of its self-tests and initiates correctly.
    4) The only apparent issue is that the U2 and NS switches don't move or click, so I'll need to replace them on the panel PCB, however they do still seem to move enough to operate when pressure is applied, so they don't appear to be stuck "on".
  • Jim Cassedy
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1450
    • San Francisco

    #2
    I've worked with a lot of CP-650's and I own a spare one that's come in
    handy a few times as a temporary replacement for a failed unit at a theater.
    The only thing I can tell you with certainty is that the fan should be running
    any time the unit is turned on. That being said, almost every time I've seen
    a CP650 with the fan NOT running, it was just simply 'gunked up' and a
    good cleaning got it running again.

    I don't recall there being a clock battery anywhere, but I do recall having
    to re-set the time/date & clock at a couple of theaters which had their
    CP-650's totally powered down/unplugged during the coronavirus pandemic.

    Depending on how "dirty' you CP650 is, the dip switches may also be just
    'gunked up' and need a bit of contact cleaner/lubricant spray. Several
    years ago, I 'rehabilitated' a CP650 that had been in an extremely
    unfriendly environment. It was full of dust, popcorn-oil residue, the
    power switch was flakey, and it had a few other issues. I took every
    board out of the unit, took them outside and blew them clean with a
    small air compressor and an old (but clean!) paint-brush. I wiped
    down and brushed out the empty chassis, and cleaned all the
    edge connectors inside. The fan had a bunch of 'gunk' under the
    blade assembly which I was able to pull off and clean out, The power
    switch started working again after getting a good bath of contact cleaner
    spray after I removed it from the unit. That CP650 ran for at least two more
    years and was still working when the theater did a major audio system upgrade
    several years later.

    Comment

    • Marco Giustini
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1168
      • Reading, UK

      #3
      The 650 has a supercapacitor for the clock so I think it's normal to expect a clock power error after it's been powered off for a while. In any case the clock has little purpose so I wouldn't worry.
      Yes, every time the 650 starts there will be a startup entry in the logs
      Yes, if you have an error in the logs, it will say "check error log"

      Fan spins all the time, it's powered directly from a power rail. If it's not spinning, replace it. In fact, I'd replace it anyways, it's surely past its predicted lifetime

      650s are very reliable. What fails are the PSUs - so keep the fan running.

      One of my 650s was very slow to boot and I found that most capacitors on the processing board were gone. The 650s now have about 25 years so you should expect that to happen at some point.

      If you remove the front panel you can manually push the NS and U2 buttons and see if the issue is the buttons or the front panel wasn't properly seated.

      Comment

      • Adam Liberman
        Film Handler
        • Sep 2024
        • 71
        • Portland, OR, USA

        #4
        Originally posted by Marco Giustini
        Yes, every time the 650 starts there will be a startup entry in the logs
        Yes, if you have an error in the logs, it will say "check error log"
        But where do I find the error log? The "event log" says to check the "error log", but a search of the 166 page installation manual does not even mention an "error log". Is this something that you need the PC connection and software to access?

        Comment

        • Adam Liberman
          Film Handler
          • Sep 2024
          • 71
          • Portland, OR, USA

          #5
          Originally posted by Marco Giustini
          One of my 650s was very slow to boot
          Is 60 seconds a normal boot time?

          Comment

          • Marco Giustini
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1168
            • Reading, UK

            #6
            Error logs can be accessed via the CP650 setup software. Don't expect to see much there, it was very basic.

            Yes, the 650 is very slow to boot. When I first met a CP650 the installer told me it was "better than the CP500 because it takes more time to load the software, hence it loads it "better"".

            Comment

            • Marco Giustini
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1168
              • Reading, UK

              #7
              Duplicate post - please delete if possible.

              Comment

              • Adam Liberman
                Film Handler
                • Sep 2024
                • 71
                • Portland, OR, USA

                #8
                1) Installed PC software download from Film-tech. It connects to the CP650, but after loading the parameters it freezes up and eventually unfreezes but with the settings all blank. I'm using a USB to serial cable. Don't know if it has to do with the versions not matching -- software is 2.3.1.1 and CP650 is 2.3.5.3

                2) Somehow I changed a setting. Panel was showing Format 01 Mono, L M1 0. Now it is showing L M1 --.

                Comment

                • Marco Giustini
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 1168
                  • Reading, UK

                  #9
                  the CP650 is from the '90. Some USB to RS232 adaptors won't work. You can try setting a different speed to your COM port. Try 9600 as a start.

                  2: what are you trying to do with this processor? The zero sounds like the error rate which shouldn't be there with no film running though. So, not sure.

                  Comment

                  • Adam Liberman
                    Film Handler
                    • Sep 2024
                    • 71
                    • Portland, OR, USA

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Marco Giustini
                    the CP650 is from the '90. Some USB to RS232 adaptors won't work. You can try setting a different speed to your COM port. Try 9600 as a start.
                    It is set to default 9600. But I forgot that I have an actual serial port, so I'll test it out tomorrow with a straight through serial cable. I'd hope that the software would be smart enough to deal with missing or added parameters due to the version mismatch, but maybe it isn't? Does anyone have the version 2.3.5.3 software that they might be able to send me (or upload to Film-Tech) -- or maybe Dolby cinema support would supply it (the CP downloads don't seem to be on their website)?

                    Originally posted by Marco Giustini
                    2: what are you trying to do with this processor? The zero sounds like the error rate which shouldn't be there with no film running though. So, not sure.
                    I tried to access the setup menu while connected to the software and it changed the zero to --. It didn't seem to disturb other settings. The manual says that it is the digital error rate, but then why would it show for Format 01 mono analog?

                    I'm hoping that the error log entries are only related to the panel keys or the fan, but I'll find that out once I get the software working and can access the error log.

                    BTW, thank you all for your ongoing input and expertise!

                    Comment

                    • Marco Giustini
                      Film God
                      • Jan 2020
                      • 1168
                      • Reading, UK

                      #11
                      2.3.5.3 is the FW of the 650, doesn't have anything to do with the setup software version. I believe 2.3.5.3 was the latest "free" version. There is one which supports 7.1 (2.3.6.6) which was not free to receive. Maybe you're missing the latest free one, 2.3.6.3. There was also a beta version 2.3.7.2 which was mitigating the robosound with AES input but it also had other issues.

                      I wouldn't worry about the error rate disappearing, it was probably a glitch. It shouldn't be there when film is not running.

                      There won't be a fan error I think. I don't think the 650 monitors it. If it has 2 wires, it doesn't.

                      Connecting to the 650 has always been tricky, remember those are niche products. The development around them was limited. The average 650 would be accessed via RS232 once or twice in their lifetime so R&D really didn't spend too much time on that!

                      Comment

                      • Adam Liberman
                        Film Handler
                        • Sep 2024
                        • 71
                        • Portland, OR, USA

                        #12
                        Everything seems good now. Setup software works with a regular serial cable. Fan and tactile switches will be easy to replace. Will put on audio bench with AP later to test signal path with non-encoded signals. The error in the log is: "DSP requests did not fall: 0800". It happened once but has not repeated on subsequent start-ups. Unit is from the "Fox CT Theatre". Thanks all for your help!

                        Comment

                        • Marco Giustini
                          Film God
                          • Jan 2020
                          • 1168
                          • Reading, UK

                          #13
                          I'm not familiar with that error, I'd say it shouldn't be there but if it's one off, I wouldn't be too concerned.

                          Comment

                          Working...