BACP analog reader input voltage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tj Hopland
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jun 2025
    • 264
    • Minneapolis, MN

    #1

    BACP analog reader input voltage?

    What was the input voltage range for the BACP analog readers? Seems like they came with 9v but I seem to recall there was perhaps a range listed? 9v seems like maybe the idea was you could use your existing exciter supply and with that little of a load would have been probably over 12v.

    I'm asking because I have an odd application that isn't easy to get a LED for so I was going to try using a CE LS-40 supply to drive the LED with the hopes that maybe I can drive it a little harder while we search for an LED. I could leave the existing 9v to drive the preamp but was wondering if I could just switch that over to the LS-40 also.

    And if anyone can help with the LED its the custom for Claco AA2 setup. Sam had told be that those were a pain to do and that was going to be his retirement gig doing those at home on his coffee table since he was the only one that could do them. I have not looked close at it recently but I recall there wasn't much space and it was maybe glued in. I would be willing to take a bad one just so I have an extra or two to experiment with. The raw LED's are not a problem its just this bracket setup was pretty unique and I don't want to make things worse without having some sort of alternate plan.
  • Josh Jones
    Pro Film Handler
    • Feb 2024
    • 153
    • McKinney, TX

    #2
    There is an onboard flyback regulator to generate the +/-15v from the rectified 9vac. I would think it would run on 12vdc as well.

    Comment

    • Mark Gulbrandsen
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3093
      • Nashville, TN

      #3
      Originally posted by Tj Hopland
      What was the input voltage range for the BACP analog readers? Seems like they came with 9v but I seem to recall there was perhaps a range listed? 9v seems like maybe the idea was you could use your existing exciter supply and with that little of a load would have been probably over 12v.

      I'm asking because I have an odd application that isn't easy to get a LED for so I was going to try using a CE LS-40 supply to drive the LED with the hopes that maybe I can drive it a little harder while we search for an LED. I could leave the existing 9v to drive the preamp but was wondering if I could just switch that over to the LS-40 also.

      And if anyone can help with the LED its the custom for Claco AA2 setup. Sam had told be that those were a pain to do and that was going to be his retirement gig doing those at home on his coffee table since he was the only one that could do them. I have not looked close at it recently but I recall there wasn't much space and it was maybe glued in. I would be willing to take a bad one just so I have an extra or two to experiment with. The raw LED's are not a problem its just this bracket setup was pretty unique and I don't want to make things worse without having some sort of alternate plan.
      No, they weren't any pain at all. 90 minutes of machining per reproducer and checked with the jig Sam supplied us, and they were ready to use. We did them for customers all over the world. The LED was on it's own mount. As far as powering them, what Josh said.
      Attached Files

      Comment

      • Tj Hopland
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jun 2025
        • 264
        • Minneapolis, MN

        #4
        I wasn't talking about the machine conversion being a pain, I'm taking about replacing the LED. Have you done it? Is it a big deal? Was there some sort of jig for it?

        Comment

        • Mark Gulbrandsen
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3093
          • Nashville, TN

          #5
          Yes... We just bought the assemblies from Sam. Also, BACP is still in business, so check with them. It is run by Danny Pickett if I remember correctly. Sam sold a lot of those conversion kits, plus it is also possible that Claco may still have one or two spare LED assemblies on the shelf. We converted well over 50 of them... As a third choice, you could also check with Dan Eiseman, who originally helped Sam with the project but I can't share his contact info with out his permission....

          Comment

          • Tj Hopland
            Pro Film Handler
            • Jun 2025
            • 264
            • Minneapolis, MN

            #6
            I did try and contact the current form of BACP when I learned they ended up with Sam's stuff a while back but got no reply. I'm guessing Danny is at the show now and everyone knows him so I will tell some people to look for him and maybe that will work to find out if they even have any stuff like that. I didn't know Dan Eiseman but recently while searching for this item heard his name and asked my contact to try and contact him to see if he had any leads on finding one or what the process is to change one. I'm sure its not impossible I just don't want to take something that is getting by for now and make it worse.

            Comment

            Working...