I remember seeing both recirculators and direct plumbed in systems and some where there were valves to do both so if a pump failed you had a backup option. Made sense since booths almost always had toilets that meant they had water and a drain. For a flow sensor what was fairly common was the discharge hose going into a funnel on top of the tank so you could visually see that there was flow. If it was direct you had a similar thing because the discharge was most likely into the sink.
Another flow sensor I saw a lot was they would go buy a 'sediment bowl' which was basically a inline fuel filter setup with a glass bowl commonly used on things like tractors and they would stick a fishing bobber inside the glass, you know the classic plastic red and white ones. The bobber would bounce around and spin when there was flow. I think there were also actual devices that had some sort of spinny wheel in them but I'm sure cost more than a tractor filter and bobber and the few I saw seemed to be jammed or fogged up so not really useful anymore.
I will have to look for sure but I think the pair of AA2's I still service still has some sort of flow sensor down in the base. Its never been hooked up to water or electrical in the 30 years they have been under my care. I would have to look at the manuals and see if that was a factory thing or something that was installed in their original home.
The carbon arc Super Trouper was the 1000w model based on the Strong Utility 1kw / Simplex High film lamphouse. Most of those ran off 120v and the power supply was in its base so self contained and burned 7mm pos and 6mm neg carbons so well below where you needed water cooling. Only fan in the whole unit was up in the optical section that sucked air past the diode stack and then blew it on the colored gel filters. The carbon Super Trouper was kinda the industry standard into the 1980's. It had a smaller brother the Trouper and then the incandescent little sister the Trouperette.
What you saw was called the Gladiator which was based on the Strong Futura film lamphouse which was the final carbon evolution of their 'big' lamps that started with the Mighty 90. Futura was the shell they used for the X60 xenon lamp. The Gladiator's I think ran in the 2000-3000 watt range and needed a separate power supply and had water cooling. The xenon Super Troupers used the Lume-X lamphoue and the Gladiator used the Super or Ultra 80.
superANDtrouperR.jpg
futuraR.jpg
Another flow sensor I saw a lot was they would go buy a 'sediment bowl' which was basically a inline fuel filter setup with a glass bowl commonly used on things like tractors and they would stick a fishing bobber inside the glass, you know the classic plastic red and white ones. The bobber would bounce around and spin when there was flow. I think there were also actual devices that had some sort of spinny wheel in them but I'm sure cost more than a tractor filter and bobber and the few I saw seemed to be jammed or fogged up so not really useful anymore.
I will have to look for sure but I think the pair of AA2's I still service still has some sort of flow sensor down in the base. Its never been hooked up to water or electrical in the 30 years they have been under my care. I would have to look at the manuals and see if that was a factory thing or something that was installed in their original home.
The carbon arc Super Trouper was the 1000w model based on the Strong Utility 1kw / Simplex High film lamphouse. Most of those ran off 120v and the power supply was in its base so self contained and burned 7mm pos and 6mm neg carbons so well below where you needed water cooling. Only fan in the whole unit was up in the optical section that sucked air past the diode stack and then blew it on the colored gel filters. The carbon Super Trouper was kinda the industry standard into the 1980's. It had a smaller brother the Trouper and then the incandescent little sister the Trouperette.
What you saw was called the Gladiator which was based on the Strong Futura film lamphouse which was the final carbon evolution of their 'big' lamps that started with the Mighty 90. Futura was the shell they used for the X60 xenon lamp. The Gladiator's I think ran in the 2000-3000 watt range and needed a separate power supply and had water cooling. The xenon Super Troupers used the Lume-X lamphoue and the Gladiator used the Super or Ultra 80.
superANDtrouperR.jpg
futuraR.jpg
Comment