Last year the igniter in one of our 35/70 consoles went out. My very resourceful back-up
projectionguy, who had worked at the theater at some point years ago, knew we had a
used back-up stashed in another console. He managed to quickly install that one and
save a (70mm) show. But I don't think either of us know the whole history of that part,
and exactly where it came from or why it was originally removed.
While the replacement has been working, I don't fully trust it, and it takes several tries
to strike the lamp. We have a wholebuncha 70mm titles coming up this summer, and
it would be somewhat of a major 'disaster' if we couldn't strike one of the lamps.
In the past I've occasionally seen these pop up on e-bay but I haven't seen one in a
while, and I've been kicking myself for not buying one the last time I saw one listed.
I've entered the part number online, and some listings show up, but most of them turn
out to be old/expired or from electronics surplus dealers who have gone out of business.
So- - does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find one of these?
XenonIgniter.jpg
It's from a STRONG HIGHLIGHT II console. (I'd suggest going back to carbon
arcs to the boss, but carbons are also getting almost impossible to find)
> "PLAN B" I haven't tried opening this thing up yet. I'm wondering if there
might be any repairable parts inside. I'd imagine there are a some hi-voltage
diodes & one or more capacitors and perhaps a coil or two. Has anybody here
ever seen the inside of one, or done a repair? (A circuit diagram would be a
welcome find, too)
EDIT: Shortly after typing the above message, I found a U-Tube video which shows
the inside of a very similar igniter. It clearly shows the inside (which is about what I
expected it would look like) and there's even a hand-drawn circuit diagram. It's not
the same part number as the one I've got, but it's a starting point.
SCREENSHOT:
IgniterInside.jpg
U can C the complete video here:
projectionguy, who had worked at the theater at some point years ago, knew we had a
used back-up stashed in another console. He managed to quickly install that one and
save a (70mm) show. But I don't think either of us know the whole history of that part,
and exactly where it came from or why it was originally removed.
While the replacement has been working, I don't fully trust it, and it takes several tries
to strike the lamp. We have a wholebuncha 70mm titles coming up this summer, and
it would be somewhat of a major 'disaster' if we couldn't strike one of the lamps.
In the past I've occasionally seen these pop up on e-bay but I haven't seen one in a
while, and I've been kicking myself for not buying one the last time I saw one listed.
I've entered the part number online, and some listings show up, but most of them turn
out to be old/expired or from electronics surplus dealers who have gone out of business.
So- - does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find one of these?
XenonIgniter.jpg
It's from a STRONG HIGHLIGHT II console. (I'd suggest going back to carbon
arcs to the boss, but carbons are also getting almost impossible to find)
> "PLAN B" I haven't tried opening this thing up yet. I'm wondering if there
might be any repairable parts inside. I'd imagine there are a some hi-voltage
diodes & one or more capacitors and perhaps a coil or two. Has anybody here
ever seen the inside of one, or done a repair? (A circuit diagram would be a
welcome find, too)
EDIT: Shortly after typing the above message, I found a U-Tube video which shows
the inside of a very similar igniter. It clearly shows the inside (which is about what I
expected it would look like) and there's even a hand-drawn circuit diagram. It's not
the same part number as the one I've got, but it's a starting point.
SCREENSHOT:
IgniterInside.jpg
U can C the complete video here:

Comment