Can I put a Kinoton Universal Lamphouse on a FP40D head?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • David Ferguson
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 269
    • Edinburgh, UK

    #1

    Can I put a Kinoton Universal Lamphouse on a FP40D head?

    I've worked with some Kinotons (FP30s, FP38Es, ECs) but never consoles so I apologise if this is a stupid question!

    I want to do a couple of outdoors/marquee tent showings, so need something that is - while not "portable", is at least "movable" without a huge team of people. On my FP30ECII I have a Kinoton Universal Lamphouse, and a friend has an FP40D head off a console that is currently sitting doing nothing.

    Can I use the two together? Having looked at photos, I have two main questions:
    1. I'm assuming that they won't have matching mounting holes (I can dream!) so what is the best way to "mate" them together?
    2. I note that on my FP30ECII, the size of the shutter housing is larger than what I see on the FP40D. Will this mean that the focusing will be off? Can I adjust it, or are these just fundimentally incompatible? I'm aware that the Universal Lamphouse came in two variants, the 1-2kW (which is what I have) and a larger 2-4kW version that has a spacer at the front. I can see photos of FP30Ds (with the same smaller shutter housing as the FP40D) having both variants of these lamphouses attached, so I am assuming they are compatible?
    I've attached photos here showing:
    • the FP40D with its smaller shutter housing
    • the FP30EC with its larger shutter housing
    • an FP30D with a smaller Universal Lamphouse (the one I have) attached
    • an FP30D with a larger Universal Lamphouse attached
    Attached Files
  • Marcel Birgelen
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3619
    • Maastricht, NL

    #2
    I have no experience with the FP40(D), but those lamp houses didn't call them universal for nothing.

    If those holes don't match, there are limited options:
    - Look for an adapter or a way to make one yourself... or have one made at the local metal workshop.
    - Drill new holes
    - Duct Tape

    Comment

    • Phillip Grace
      Film Handler
      • Jan 2020
      • 74
      • Melbourne, Australia.

      #3
      The solution comes down to achieving the the correct working distance for the lamphouse reflector. i.e. the distance between the back of the reflector and the film gate. It should be stated in the manual for the lamphouse you want to use. edit. The brochure for both versions of the Studio lamphouse show 120mm between the front of the lamphouse and the gate. Compare that figure with the same distance stated in the manual for the projector head then see if it can be achieved with the equipment on hand. If it works you just have to find a way to mate the two pieces. With a bit of luck the lamphouse will bolt directly onto the back of the projector head. If the lamphouse interferes with the projector case and makes the working distance too long, it wont work, unless some more drastic alterations are made.
      Last edited by Phillip Grace; 06-15-2026, 01:21 AM.

      Comment

      • Jerry G. Axelsson
        Film Handler
        • Jan 2020
        • 98
        • Stockholm, Sweden

        #4
        David, you can move the entire light module inside the Kinoton lamphouse back and forward perhaps 5-10cm. There are slits in the bottom where the fixture for the mirror, bulb etc. can be adjusted to accommodate for slightly difference in distance needed.

        Comment

        • Marcel Birgelen
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3619
          • Maastricht, NL

          #5
          Indeed, the lamp module is movable, so usually, it's no problem to get the focus on the gate right. The only problem is if the head fits on the lamp house with the existing pre-drilled holes.

          Comment

          • Stefan Scholz
            Pro Film Handler
            • Jan 2020
            • 298
            • Berlin Germany

            #6
            The universal lamps fit on any Kinotone, the ones on the Studio version eventually have a different paint job. Everything else is shared with the theatrical ones.

            Comment

            • Sean McKinnon
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 269
              • Boston (Peabody), Ma

              #7
              Look at the FP10 and FP25 for inspiration!

              Comment

              Working...