Super Lumex blower part number

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Josh Jones
    Pro Film Handler
    • Feb 2024
    • 153
    • McKinney, TX

    #1

    Super Lumex blower part number

    I'm overhauling a pair of Strong super lumex lamps, both with stuck blowers. Does anyone recall what the old dayton part number was, or know of a (near) drop in replacement? The stickers on these are illegible after all those years of UV exposure.

    Thanks in advance!
  • Tim Androes
    Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 31
    • Seattle, WA, USA

    #2
    From the foggy depths of memory...3M777a...used to get these from Grainger and I think that number changed 10-15 years ago...I'm not near any SSLs to check one so that number is a guess

    Comment

    • Tim Reed
      Film Handler
      • May 2020
      • 67
      • Van Wert, Ohio, USA

      #3
      I'm thinking something like 4C446? I do recall you had to grind the flange off the bottom of the blower so it would fit in the lamphouse.

      Comment

      • Steve Guttag
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 3777
        • Annapolis, MD

        #4
        The stock blower was modified in a couple manners. The bottom webbing/flange, the exit flange is removed and there is a tack welded support bracket for the flow switch. However, I would just change the motor and squirrel wheel and leave the outside stuff the same.

        Grainger still sells motors for the old Dayton stuff.

        Comment

        • Mark Gulbrandsen
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 3093
          • Nashville, TN

          #5
          Grainger discontinued their 4C446 blower, but offers two alternatives.There is another 4C446 replacement, link below, but it appears to be either capacitor start, or run. You sure wouldn't want that in the heat and UV. You could also take the old blower to a Grainger store and see if they could match it up to one of their two alternatives, or just swap the motor as Steve mentioned. It also seems to me that the Lum-Ex lamp house used the same blower.
          Replacement Blower for Dayton 1TDP7, 4C446 Direct OEM Aftermarket Replacement Max Airflow 146 CFM 3100 RPM, .75 amps, 115 Volts 60/50hz. Mounting: All Position Ball Bearings Max Inlet Temp. 104F Outlet Flange Bolt Hole Dimension: 4" x 2-7/8" Automatic Overload Protection  cULus Approved Housing Material: Painted Steel Insulation Class B PSC Motor Type Includes Conduit Box  Non Reversible Not recommended for speed control Blower has no power cord or on/off switch One Year Manufacture Warranty  Suggested Replacement for the following models: Dayton Model 4C446 is discontinued - the PTDP7 blower is the direct replacement This will replace the Fasco A166 as an exact replacement Replaces 4C005, 4C446, 1TDP7A Fasco Model 7021-3469 R7-RB446 This Fan is used on the Wood Doctor all Models, WoodMaster 4400 & 5500, Taylor T-750, Heatmor 200 CSS and 400 CSS, HeatSource Model 1000 & Johnson John Jr.

          Comment

          • Josh Jones
            Pro Film Handler
            • Feb 2024
            • 153
            • McKinney, TX

            #6
            I was digging in the garage and found one of the strong shutter housing blowers they used on the PR1030 machines if you were running big lamps and water cooling. It looks to be identical, albeit the hammertone powdercoat. The part number on it is 9C956, which doesn't cross to anything I could find. Specs are 1/30 HP, 3020 RPM, blower wheel 3-3/4". I can't find any data for it on the web to know what CFM rating it is. Based on the wheel diameter and exit size, a 1TDP5 is probably the closest replacement, which is rated at 131 CFM, but slower wheel speed of 2880. It has a 3.3" diameter motor, same as the original. I don't have a problem with the small cap run motors. If UV is a problem, they sell a cover for the capacitor.

            The blower in my ORC 2500 was bad as well. I was able to replace it with a 1TDP7, although I did have to overdrill the mounting holes on the rear casting and cut the flange off. Its been running nicely for over a year.

            The 3M777A is listed as a valid part and still available. That may be the way to go.

            Thanks for the efforts!

            Comment

            • Mark Gulbrandsen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 3093
              • Nashville, TN

              #7
              The HP and RPM seems right to me. I'd also check with Strong Lighting, they still make the follow spots. Those were just a Lumex lamphouse with the lamp in backwards. If they still make a Gladiator or similar, then it likely utilizes a Super 80. And if nothing else, they might tell you what the corrdct blower PN is.

              Comment

              Working...