Strong 35mm digital audio with timecode?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • David Ferguson
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 269
    • Edinburgh, UK

    #1

    Strong 35mm digital audio with timecode?

    I was reading an old publication by the British Kinematograph Sound & Television Society (BKSTS), and came across an interesting quote and image about digital sound systems. I believe this was written pre-DTS, but it is not dated so I am not sure.

    Strong of Canada and L.C. Concepts of France are both working on systems using time code on the edge of the film to synchronise a separate digital system but as yet neither has had a major Hollywood release.
    I am aware of the L.C. Concepts system, which was bought out by DTS. But this is the first time I have ever heard of Strong attempting to make a digital sound format. There was the following diagram. I am not sure if this was created by the BKSTS, or if Strong sent it in.

    Has anyone ever heard of Strong making a 35mm timecode synced audio system, in the early 90s? Does anyone have any more information on this, were there decoders made, films released (even if just test/demo ones)?
    Attached Files
  • Gordon McLeod
    Expert Film Handler
    • Jan 2020
    • 565
    • Toronto Ontario Canada

    #2
    I saw it at Showwest and it worked the timecode reader mounted under the projector and used a Panasonic laserdisk player

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #3
      This glimpse into the history of the "timecode wars" is interesting. I had no idea there were other contenders.

      Comment

      • Jim Cassedy
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1450
        • San Francisco

        #4
        Originally posted by David Ferguson
        I was reading an old publication by the British
        Kinematograph Sound & Television Society (BKSTS),
        . . . for several years, I thought BKSTS was another Korean boy band.

        Comment

        • David Ferguson
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jan 2020
          • 269
          • Edinburgh, UK

          #5
          Originally posted by Gordon McLeod
          I saw it at Showwest and it worked the timecode reader mounted under the projector and used a Panasonic laserdisk player
          Very interesting, thank you! So it sounds like they got quite far with it, if there was enough for a demo at ShoWest. Now, does anyone have photographs, info pamphlets, or anything about this?

          It's fascinating learning about all the digital sound systems. Every time I think I have learnt of them all, I find more. And there are some obscure ones, like Kinoton's HDFS which used a timecode but didn't have an optical backup track, or the Karasync which only had an optical analog track and would then (somehow?) sync a digital track to that.

          Comment

          • Mark Gulbrandsen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3093
            • Nashville, TN

            #6
            Originally posted by Gordon McLeod
            I saw it at Showwest and it worked the timecode reader mounted under the projector and used a Panasonic laserdisk player
            Gord... Sheesh, that was a long time code ago...

            Comment

            Working...