I have 60 years of experience with Victor Animatograph (and later Kalart-Victor) projectors and a collection of a couple dozen examples of same from the mid 1930s into the 1980s. My first job as a teenager was at a dealer doing repairs and overhauls mostly for school systems. I've never seen the wear condition you describe on the "sound drum" and assuming it is possible, spare parts for these machines were always readily available.
Weber Syncrofilm Model E
Collapse
X
-
-
Did the Victor Animatographs use the style of a fixed stabilizer being discussed, rather than rotary? If so, then I remembered it correctly and was told by my friend who was a major collector that he had seen them in that condition. He brought it up in a conversation while I was restoring an early 30s soundhead with a similar style.Comment
-
I wasn't around Victor's much so I can't comment on those. The Model E I saw up close 30 some years ago it had worn the raised areas flat and there was a wear mark starting across the whole surface. Just now I got to wondering if maybe they made it round so you could just rotate it to a new surface? But that would require more holes for the light to pass through which I don't recall it having.Comment
-
The proper way would have been to at least have made it from high grade tool steel, and then harden it. Better et, had chrome on top of that. But from the factory as it was made though, it was likely an inexpensive part and cheap to replace.I wasn't around Victor's much so I can't comment on those. The Model E I saw up close 30 some years ago it had worn the raised areas flat and there was a wear mark starting across the whole surface. Just now I got to wondering if maybe they made it round so you could just rotate it to a new surface? But that would require more holes for the light to pass through which I don't recall it having.Comment
-
The round fixed drum was found in several other early soundheads such as some of the early WE/NE soundheads and CTR and othersComment
Comment