DTS XD10 USB ingest

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tj Hopland
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jun 2025
    • 264
    • Minneapolis, MN

    #1

    DTS XD10 USB ingest

    I did a search and found bits and pieces of information but not a complete guide. If there is such a thread or document point me to it otherwise......

    Whats the or minimum software version that allowed for USB ingest?

    Is there a known stick size limit?

    Are there known formats that are or are not supported?

    Is there specific required file and naming structure? Like has to be the only thing in the root sort of thing or needs a specific extension?

    And if you get all of the above correct does it just auto load like a disc does or do you have to do some front panel stuff?
  • Jim Cassedy
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1450
    • San Francisco

    #2
    Back in December, we had several major power failures that corrupted a DTS thumbdrive
    just as I started ingesting it. Brad e-mailed me a link where I could download the DTS files
    we needed and put them on an empty thumbdrive to ingest them myself.

    The instructions that Brad gave me were:
    "Get a USB stick that is 8GB OR SMALLER and format it to FAT32,
    making sure you name the drive “DTS”. There can be nothing else
    on the drive."


    I remember copying some DTS disks to thumbdrives years ago, and
    for some reason the "8GB or smaller" instruction is very important,
    as is the fact that it should be a 'clean' drive with nothing else on it.

    As for loading from USB, yes, you do need to do it from the menus:
    Usually, I plug the USB thingy in first, and then:
    From the main menu, go to :
    > PLAYBACK [ ENTER ]
    and use the "Down" arrow button to scroll down to:
    > LOAD FROM USB
    Even though Ive done this dozens of times, I can't remember if from that
    point it loads automatically or if I have to hit [ENTER] again.But that's all
    there is to it! Good luck!
    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 07-02-2026, 01:29 PM.

    Comment

    • Leo Enticknap
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3572
      • Loma Linda, CA

      #3
      Didn't some of the later firmware versions of the XD-10 and 20 also include a web UI through which ingestion could be done?

      Comment

      • Jim Cassedy
        Film God
        • Jan 2020
        • 1450
        • San Francisco

        #4
        Originally posted by Leo Enticknap
        Didn't some of the later firmware versions of the
        XD-10 and 20 also include a web UI through which ingestion could be done?
        I've already started my holiday weekend, so I'm not at the theater. I don't recall
        which version of software is on the XD-10's we've got. I've heard someone else
        mention once that they thought there was a way to do it through a web UI on
        some units, but I've never encountered one. (Not that I've ever actually gone
        on a hunt to track one down.
        . ) After the multiple utility power failures in SF
        last December also (we believe) fried the power supply in our XD-10, after
        replacing it with another PS, since they are pretty much generic PC power
        supplies, the head technical people at the chain I work for also found us a
        spare XD-10, since we do a lot of 70mm. I'm not sure where they got it, but
        it also came with a 70mm reader, so we now have a spare one of those too.
        Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 07-02-2026, 05:20 PM.

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2855
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #5
          I don't know if any earlier versions supported it, but I got that feature working when I updated to v2.00.43 on our XD10 (which is available in the warehouse/manuals)

          I don't know the "logic" behind the 8GB stick limit, fat32 supports up to 2TB, but I would trust Brad on that one unless you have time to experiment.

          And generally I'd add it needs to be a classic MBR type "basic" partition table on the drive, not a modern GUID table.

          Jim covered most of the other bits.

          Comment

          • Marco Giustini
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 1169
            • Reading, UK

            #6
            WebUI on an XD10? Please, no. ?

            I do not remember what is the required version for USB content loading but it was one of the last things they did. You should really be on the latest version anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
            Yes, XD10s are incredibly fussy with USB sticks. Some just don't work. I have 16GB working and 8GB which won't. No matter how I format it and even if I "clean" it with DISKPART.

            There is a simple way to test your USB stick on an XD10: save logs. If logs are saved, the HW likes the stick. If not, try another one.

            And yes, make sure the stick is empty and FAT32 formatted.

            Also, my experience says the content has to be in a folder called DTS or it won't work - I don't recall the name of the stick has to be DTS but who knows.

            But really, try to save logs. If logs are not being saved then content won't be loaded either ?

            Comment

            • Stefan Scholz
              Pro Film Handler
              • Jan 2020
              • 298
              • Berlin Germany

              #7
              On my xd10s, I seem to remember, it was USB 1.1 or so, incredibly slow file transfer. And extremely picky for the USB thumbdrive, even at the time when these units were not considered legacy hardware, but production gear. Afair the procedure is stated correctly by Jim and Marco.
              WEb UI? Never seen, but there's a way to ingest DTS files over ethernet (10/100 MB), at least from one machine to another, but if it allows external access?

              Comment

              • Marco Giustini
                Film God
                • Jan 2020
                • 1169
                • Reading, UK

                #8
                USB 1 is the older "golden" units with AOPEN motherboards. Later models are USB 2 (thankfully)

                Comment

                Working...