DTS XD10 software update tips and trcks

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tj Hopland
    Pro Film Handler
    • Jun 2025
    • 264
    • Minneapolis, MN

    #1

    DTS XD10 software update tips and trcks

    I didn't see a thread with just these details, seems to be mentioned but spread out within other threads.

    Reading the document for the software update the first steps of the process are a CD that prompts you to save settings to a USB stick. If a person doesn't care about saving any settings can these steps be skipped? Like if all you need is a factory default soundtrack player? Or will that hang things up further in the process? Like will it hang up waiting for that USB stick with the restore files?

    If that step is required does anyone know the specifics of the stick? The doc just says available from DTS. Same as a content one? 8g or less Fat32 named DTS ?

    The text in the FT download mentions a CD and a DVD. I assume the CD is for the SAVE function and its a CD because its a small file so no need to 'waste' a DVDR for that? Main needs to be a DVD due to file size?
  • Marco Giustini
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1168
    • Reading, UK

    #2
    If you fully reinstall a player by wiping the partition (the INSTALL file here on FT does that), you will lose any additional licenses your player might be.
    Recent versions allow you to save the configuration (which includes licenses) on a USB stick.

    Older versions didn't have this feature and DTS released a little "script" on a CD which would save the settings for you. If you skip this step on an old version and install the latest, soundtrack will work but CSS - if you have a license - will be erased. You can use a DVD if that is what you have available I guess. The software will recognise the script and execute it regardless of the format. Now, burning a CD/DVD can also be challenging, the XD10 will require a specific mode which escapes me right now. Remember: if you can save your configuration on your XD10, you won't need those ISOs. The feature was implemented by DTS over time.

    See the other thread on USB sticks, XD10s can be temperamental with sticks. Just find one that works - I have a 16GB one working fine and an 8GB one which would not. Make sure the stick is clean (You could indeed use Diskpart's CLEAN command) and formatted FAT32 in Windows.

    If it works, it works. If it doesn't, find another one Early XD10s can be particularly fussy indeed.

    Comment

    • Ryan Gallagher
      Film God
      • Nov 2022
      • 2855
      • Austin, Texas, USA

      #3
      My experience doing ours:

      I burned the ISO images available in the FT archives (v 2.2.06). I might have mis-referenced 2.00.43 in a previous thread. I did not have usb reading function from the version I was starting from. And i'm not sure you get to a place where booting off a USB stick is possible even after update (though you can with the XD20s for sure, motherboard depending perhaps).

      I hooked up a monitor to the VGA console port, this allowed me to watch the progress of the standard linux install packages... but it is indeed designed to install itself with no interaction (you just might think it is frozen because it does take forever, especially on spinning metal HDDs). We used the opportunity after verifying the process worked to swap in an SSD with appropriate 3.5 adapter and IDE to SATA adapter.

      I was being extra cautious and even tried an install to a beater HDD I had lying around first... keeping the working (but older version) drive intact. Proving out the process.

      You will lose all content in the process. And any licenses beyond the basic soundtrack playback ones unless you expressly back those up first. Content however cannot be backed up using GUI. Have to use other methods if you need those.

      If you need content on old drives you are replacing there are ways to pull it off after the fact and migrate it between drives attached to a different system. Perhaps reingest but I have not read of that procedure.

      If you have trouble reading discs period, the DVD-ROM drives might need to be replaced (or belt replaced if you know how).

      I wouldn't mess with the USB install methods (if it is even possible), just burn the install discs and do it old school. The era of the hardware kinda demands it.

      Comment

      • Tj Hopland
        Pro Film Handler
        • Jun 2025
        • 264
        • Minneapolis, MN

        #4
        My main question was can you skip the backup step if all you needed was soundtrack playback and were fine with factory default settings. Sounds like you can? I just didn't want to assume you could skip it and then get stuck in the install process with it asking for the backup USB stuck.

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2855
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #5
          Originally posted by Tj Hopland
          My main question was can you skip the backup step if all you needed was soundtrack playback and were fine with factory default settings. Sounds like you can? I just didn't want to assume you could skip it and then get stuck in the install process with it asking for the backup USB stuck.
          You definitely can. I made a backup but didn't need it, no licenses needed other than those that get installed by default. But your situation may be different.

          You'll have a working machine after install. Importing old licenses and settings was optional.

          Comment

          Working...