When I took over my booth, finding no magnet detectors amongst the tools, and many magnetic tools around. I assumed the worst. I had a prior thread on which tools to acquire and ended up with a cheap digital gaussmeter, and a used analog RB Annis style guage meter as well as one of their hand held parts de-magnetizers.
On our Century JJs, it was primarily the drive sprockets that had an offending charge (seemingly around the shaft area). Easily cleaned up and confirmed clean with the right tools off the projector. Our platter in storage would have been fun to check but did not get a chance before it went away.
But as others have mentioned, the real risk to those remaining prints is now more about the poor shipping and booth handling. I think the magnetism topic, tools, and techniques remains a good litmus test if a venue should even be booking and their projectionist should even be touching those prints, relative risk aside.
For new installs unless the integrator provides that training, maybe the answer is predominantly no?
On our Century JJs, it was primarily the drive sprockets that had an offending charge (seemingly around the shaft area). Easily cleaned up and confirmed clean with the right tools off the projector. Our platter in storage would have been fun to check but did not get a chance before it went away.
But as others have mentioned, the real risk to those remaining prints is now more about the poor shipping and booth handling. I think the magnetism topic, tools, and techniques remains a good litmus test if a venue should even be booking and their projectionist should even be touching those prints, relative risk aside.
For new installs unless the integrator provides that training, maybe the answer is predominantly no?
Comment