Century CC - Century JJ

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Kris Verhanneman
    Newbie
    • Jan 2020
    • 8
    • Belgium

    #1

    Century CC - Century JJ

    Hello all,

    a small stupid question.
    I have a few of Century JJ projectors and parts (35 and 35/70).
    All these were attached to a Strong console. This is not the most sexy lighthouse for a home theater and they are a big big big ... (wife say to big)

    I found for sale a CC projector not to far away from where I live but now I have this big question (tried to check the manuals but nothing seems to be writen on that).

    Can you replace the CC head by a JJ head without remodeling everything?

    Thank you in advance for all the feedback!

    Kris
  • Steve Guttag
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 3777
    • Annapolis, MD

    #2
    In the naming scheme. The letter is the model. Double-letter means double shutter. So, a "CC" is a model C projector (very old) but with a double shutter. Somewhere along the way, Century changed their naming with the "New A," which replaced the "H." They called it the SA (single shutter A) and the DA (double shutter A). The JJ was always a double-shutter since it was for the big theatres that needed the most light. Again, later in life, a single shutter version was offered and they called it the JJ2-S (and JJ3-S)...which was dumb when J2 and J3 would have been sufficient.

    In any event, to your question...A CC should mount to the same soundhead but why would you do this? The C series is older and has an inferior gate. Honestly, the JJ's 35mm gate has always performed better form me than any of the the straght up 35mm machines. I guess the downside of the JJ is the more expensive sprockets but you can use 35mm only sprockets on them.

    Comment

    • Tj Hopland
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jun 2025
      • 264
      • Minneapolis, MN

      #3
      Are you saying you have a mostly complete JJ system that is currently mounted to a large Strong console but you found a CC system that is a better fit for where you want to install it? The base / console mount for the JJ's optical soundhead is the same as the 35mm Century optical soundhead mount. Many of the American systems used the same mount so you should be able to unbolt the CC and its soundhead and then mount he JJ and its soundhead to what ever stand and light source the CC had. Got any pics? If its all American stuff should just bolt up. If its a mix of stuff maybe someone else will recognize it and know if it will be an easy swap.

      The JJ's optical soundhead had some differences over the 35's so it ideally needs to stay with the JJ projector. Depending on the exact models, vintage, past, and future mods it may be possible to swap them but since the mounts are the same it will likely be much easier to just keep the original pairs.

      Comment

      • Kris Verhanneman
        Newbie
        • Jan 2020
        • 8
        • Belgium

        #4
        Hello Steve and TJ,

        I got my answer.Thank you.
        I would like to place a JJ on this piedestal (see attached picture).

        My JJ are alle equiped with red led readers and are triple lens.
        For thoses I'll take a picture tomorrow.

        Kris
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        Last edited by Kris Verhanneman; 07-23-2026, 07:47 AM.

        Comment

        • Tj Hopland
          Pro Film Handler
          • Jun 2025
          • 264
          • Minneapolis, MN

          #5
          Wow, that's not only a C or CC its an R6 soundhead which I don't think really shared much with the slightly later and much more common Century soundheads. I didn't work with those enough to remember if they used the same mount on the base as the rest of the line. My guess is they did but that was a very unique and short lived design so maybe it also had its own unique mount? Anyone remember what mount those used?

          What are you planning to use for a light source? That Strong Utility carbon arc would be fun but if the wife says no to a console guessing she won't like a fume and ash spewing flame either. Or has that already had some sort of Halogen or LED conversion done to it?

          Comment

          • Mark Gulbrandsen
            Film God
            • Jan 2020
            • 3093
            • Nashville, TN

            #6
            TJ That looks to me more like an R2 than an R6. Even though I up-rezed the image to 4K I still can"t read the reproducer window labeling', but the top word does resemble Westrex.. It does have the knob on the front that the R2 has and the cover that hangs below the sound head that the R2 has. I serviced a theater over in Indiana had a pair of them back in the 80's

            Comment

            • Kris Verhanneman
              Newbie
              • Jan 2020
              • 8
              • Belgium

              #7
              I attached a better picture.
              Unfortunaly the seller thinks he has gold in his hands ...
              We did not agrea on the price so If other people want to make an offer for it https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/verzamelen/fotografica-en-filmapparatuur/m2410871458-zeldzame-amerikaanse-century-cc-bioscoop-filmprojector?_gl=1*18aj2tv*_gcl_au*MTY1MTg0MzI1OC 4xNzg0NjQ5MTc4Li0uLS4xNzg0NzMyMDgxLjY5NTc4MTg1Mi4x Nzg0NzMyMDgxLjE3ODQ3MzIwODE.*_ga*MTIzODI0Nzg5LjE3O DQ2NDkxNzg.*_ga_YECTZ2BX2K*czE3ODQ4MTkyNzUkbzYkZzE kdDE3ODQ4MTkyNzYkajU5JGwwJGgxMDIyMDU1OTQ2*_fplc*aT ZhJTJGTEhIaXJKckhkS3ExQnk5ZVlLWVJHMjJnaUlNOWJZZHZL ZUFHbGQxMjdFODdwUUdzTTElMkJ0YjN4VFIlMkZRVGlROENRbU J6byUyQmZDZ0JsJTJGQkI0TEttQk1ZODI3WGV0MXJEUzNIZXlS NGJuMTdTbGRFUmNtU1NnWjBpWU9qQSUzRCUzRA..

              Goo
              d luck to the buyer.
              What would be for you guys a decent price?

              Kris
              Attached Files

              Comment

              • Tj Hopland
                Pro Film Handler
                • Jun 2025
                • 264
                • Minneapolis, MN

                #8
                Looks like its Mark for the win, nameplate says R2. Its been too long since I seen any of those early Century soundheads I don't recall details like model numbers. I just guessed R6 since that is what I think Tim mentioned in the recent Weber thread.

                I don't currently have the ability to try and zoom in on the last photo to see if we can see enough of the mount to see if its the standard one. If you can get a photo from about the same angle from the other side the mount should be visible. Even if it is the standard mount I don't see a lot of value there if you have other complete systems. I would think you could fabricate some sort of adapter mount to make the JJ fit on something that is easier to find in your area or perhaps fabricate a whole custom stand.

                Comment

                • Mark Gulbrandsen
                  Film God
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 3093
                  • Nashville, TN

                  #9
                  The R-8 was an interesting Reproducer, mainly used for 3 Channel playback on the early 3-D films like House Of Wax. The one on the stand is all original, the one on the right is how I used them for dailies. I put together 8 sets in total, One of he small top compartments ended up on my Vista Machine as it was the same hold back Century used on theirs.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment

                  Working...