Spinning off this topic from this thread.
I shared a story of having to reset a 20min reel mid roll on changeover (with no reverse function).
We were lucky to have two people in the booth to make our method work, and relatively close to the beginning of the reel, but if you were by yourself... what is the safest method of carrying two reels back to the bench?
Depending on your designs one handing 20min ones are actually not that hard, but just feels like unnecessary risk. Larger reels need alternative methods. My instinct, not having done it, but fully expecting to need to some day again, to avoid awkward one handed reel handling situations... would be to unthread, remove slack, and then remove the takeup reel first to avoid having to manage the loop of slack and floor contact.
Then open the pin on the feed reel (perhaps do that before you even start) and maybe mount the takeup reel atop the feed reel, then using both hands one could grab both flanges and carry the two securely together back to the rewind bench, reversing the process there.
Alternatively:
Another approach might be to not attempt the dual wielding, (especially if dealing with non-metal or 24in reels). Take the takeup reel off, give it just enough slack to reach a clean horizontal surface or the floor, rest it safely there. Then remove the feed reel and as lowering it turn slack back onto it to prevent the loop from contacting the floor. Collect the other and the only dual wielding phase is the carry back to the bench? If you have an elevated clean surface I think you could do either reel first, but if floor is needed has to be takeup first.
I've never operated platters, and even if I had basic resonable experience of building, threading, and startup... I doubt this interruption situation would be obvious to me how to proceed.
I shared a story of having to reset a 20min reel mid roll on changeover (with no reverse function).
We were lucky to have two people in the booth to make our method work, and relatively close to the beginning of the reel, but if you were by yourself... what is the safest method of carrying two reels back to the bench?
Depending on your designs one handing 20min ones are actually not that hard, but just feels like unnecessary risk. Larger reels need alternative methods. My instinct, not having done it, but fully expecting to need to some day again, to avoid awkward one handed reel handling situations... would be to unthread, remove slack, and then remove the takeup reel first to avoid having to manage the loop of slack and floor contact.
Then open the pin on the feed reel (perhaps do that before you even start) and maybe mount the takeup reel atop the feed reel, then using both hands one could grab both flanges and carry the two securely together back to the rewind bench, reversing the process there.
Alternatively:
Another approach might be to not attempt the dual wielding, (especially if dealing with non-metal or 24in reels). Take the takeup reel off, give it just enough slack to reach a clean horizontal surface or the floor, rest it safely there. Then remove the feed reel and as lowering it turn slack back onto it to prevent the loop from contacting the floor. Collect the other and the only dual wielding phase is the carry back to the bench? If you have an elevated clean surface I think you could do either reel first, but if floor is needed has to be takeup first.
I've never operated platters, and even if I had basic resonable experience of building, threading, and startup... I doubt this interruption situation would be obvious to me how to proceed.
Comment