35mm "BOOM" (1968)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jim Cassedy
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 1450
    • San Francisco

    #1

    35mm "BOOM" (1968)

    "BOOM" (1968)
    6 Reels
    35mm IB-Technicolor
    SCOPE / MONO
    Universal Archive Print

    Although the color on this print was still excellent, the print itself was
    well worn, with the usual amount of surface dirt, and base / emulsion
    scratches and specks for a print this age, although celluloid lovers, like
    myself, will tell you that these defects just give the presentation 'character' .

    For some reason, at some point, somebody had decided to 'enhance'
    the Techncolor lab cues by hand-scribing sloppy circles around them.
    Geez, the old IB-Tech cues were some of the most visible ever created.
    Anyone needing "help" to see them shouldn't be running changeovers!
    The print was from the Universal Archive. 99% of the prints I've run
    from them were in good-to-excellent shape. This one wasn't.
    In addition to the aforementioned defects, this acetate print had too
    many splices to count, a bit of warping, moderate edge damage on
    several reels, and was somewhat brittle. Also, several of the leaders
    were spliced on with the sound-track facing the wrong way. I didn't
    attempt to fix them, since I wanted to handle the film as little as possible.

    Good Color, But Note Visible Warping. Also, This Print Has What
    I Call A 'Negative' Optical Track, Where the Light & Dark Areas
    Are Reversed From Normal, And Tend To Be Slightly Noisier.
    BOOM_FrameShot.jpg

    Despite My Initial Concerns About Film Condition, The Show
    Ran Without Any Problems, Although I Think Some Of The
    Jump Splices In Reel 4 Probably Registered On The Richter
    Scale On The Seismographs Across The Bay in Berkeley.
    And, As A Precaution, I Kept The Splicer Very Nearby!

    BOOM_SplicerNear.jpg
  • Ryan Gallagher
    Film God
    • Nov 2022
    • 2855
    • Austin, Texas, USA

    #2
    I'll run an IB print in our booth one day I hope. It's been done i'm sure, but not by me yet.

    Comment

    • Tj Hopland
      Pro Film Handler
      • Jun 2025
      • 264
      • Minneapolis, MN

      #3
      Is it just the way your photo/scan came out or is the dark part of the soundtrack not that dense?

      Comment

      Working...