The China Syndrome (1978)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mike Blakesley
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2021
    • Forsyth MT

    #1

    The China Syndrome (1978)

    china.jpg​

    I've owned this movie for a few years but had only watched it once. It's a really good potboiler and the story puts so many of today's movie "plots" to shame.

    The story follows Kimberly Wells (Jane Fonda), a TV reporter who has been relegated to 'fluff' stories by her TV station. She longs to do hard news and investigative reporting, but the suits at the station want to keep her doing the lightweight stuff because she's good for ratings. (1978 Jane Fonda was indeed pretty easy on the eyes, you have to admit.)

    She and her favorite cameraman, played by Michael Douglas, are sent to a nuclear power plant to film a quick piece there, and while they're on site "something happens." Nobody will tell them what it is, but they know it was something. Richard, having been told he can't film in the area where they are, starts filming on the sly and captures the whole thing, which they eventually show to a nuclear expert who says "You are probably lucky to be alive, and so is this whole part of southern California."

    The rest of the movie follows Kimberly's fight to find more information, and to get her story on the air. The station is trying to avoid a lawsuit, and the power company wants the whole affair kept quiet because they are working on getting permits to build a new plant. Hmm, it's just like today's world... follow the money.

    Eventually a power plant manager, Jack Godell (Jack Lemmon), who has been trying to get the powers-that-be to listen to his reasoning that the plant may not be safe due to the "event," uncovers evidence showing that the company hired to inspect the plant may have shortcutted the inspection process, proving that the plant may indeed be unsafe and another event could result in a nuclear meltdown, potentially killing thousands or millions of people and rendering a huge area uninhabitable. He also finds radioactive water leaking from a pump, confirming that the plant is dangerous. Godell wants to testify his findings at hearings being held for the new plant, but is thwarted by some good "company men" from talking.

    The whole thing soon comes to a head, of course, but not without Godell locking himself in the control room and refusing to come out unless he's allowed to state his case on a TV interview -- so Kimberly, the only person he trusts, is sent in to interview him.

    I won't reveal the ending here for anyone who hasn't seen it, but it's real edge-of-the-seat stuff. It falls squarely into the "this could really happen" category, especially since a near-meltdown accident similar to the one in the movie happened in real life in Pennsylvania a couple of weeks after the film was released.

    The action is tight and gripping, and afterward I found myself wondering how different the story would be if told today with the internet and cell phones in the mix. This movie might be worth a remake.

    It's amazing to me how easy it is to describe a movie plot when the plot makes sense. So many of today's movies have intersecting storylines, multiple "bad guys" or vague scenarioes that it's almost impossible to summarize them coherently. Just read the Wikipedia synopsis of almost any newer movie to see what I mean.

    For the movie at hand: Four out of five stars.

    Disclaimer: I watched this from a home-made DCP made from a Blu-Ray, with just myself. No illegal pirate showings here. I don't know why I got to thinking about it but something reminded me of it, so I spent a late night last night running it for myself.
    Last edited by Mike Blakesley; 11-10-2025, 11:05 PM.
  • Josh Jones
    Pro Film Handler
    • Feb 2024
    • 153
    • McKinney, TX

    #2
    I saw this for the first time over covid and 100% agree it is a masterpiece of its time. It still holds up today, and had me glued. While it was coincidence that the timing of TMI coincided with the release, it did set the tone for a lot of the anti-nuclear movement that was to follow. There is always a balance between new technology and hubris. Add money to the mix, and often things go bad.

    4.5/5

    Comment

    • Jim Cassedy
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 1450
      • San Francisco

      #3
      I remember running & watching this movie when it first came out.
      I also recall it did pretty decent business every night. I hadn't seen it since
      then, until about 2½ years ago I watched it on cable TV while recovering
      from some major surgery. Amd as Josh J pointed out, it's still holds up
      pretty well. If my ever diminishing memory is correct won several Academy
      Awards the year it was released.

      Comment

      • Ryan Gallagher
        Film God
        • Nov 2022
        • 2855
        • Austin, Texas, USA

        #4
        I think I watched it not long after the Fukushima Daiichi disasters. And now that we have a giant expensive hole in the containment dome that is supposed to be negatively pressurized over Chernobyl, maybe it is another opportunity for contemplation.

        Then could watch Destin's deep dive via unprecedented access to nuclear power to make yourself feel more comfortable about it all again afterwards. There are 3 videos in the series so far and an outsider documenting a refueling outtage is a world's first level of public access and 100% worth the watch. I'm guessing the industry is wanting some good PR and perhaps recruiting as a result.

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0af...onG5G6&index=1

        Comment

        • Mike Blakesley
          Film God
          • Jan 2020
          • 2021
          • Forsyth MT

          #5
          If my ever diminishing memory is correct won several Academy
          Awards the year it was released.​
          It was nominated for four Oscars (Actor, Actress, Art Direction and Screenplay) but did not win any of them. It did win several other awards including Best Drama Written for the Screen from the WGA, and director James Bridges won the Palm D'Or at Cannes.

          Comment

          • Christos Gartaganis
            Film Handler
            • Sep 2021
            • 53
            • Athens Greece

            #6
            At the age of 14, I found myself seated in a central London cinema, watching the premiere of this unforgettable film. The captivating performances by Jane Fonda, Michael Douglas, and Jack Lemmon left an indelible mark on my young mind​. At the end of the film, the audience stood up from their seats and started applauding persistently until the film credits finished rolling. An unforgettable cinematic experience directed by James Bridges and produced by Michael Douglas.
            ​

            Comment

            • Harold Hallikainen
              Film God
              • Jan 2020
              • 1071
              • Tucson AZ

              #7
              When it first came out, it had sold out crowds in the Fremont Theater in San Luis Obispo CA. I think the seating then was between 1,000 and 1,200.

              Comment

              Working...