9 to 5 (1980)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mike Blakesley
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2021
    • Forsyth MT

    #1

    9 to 5 (1980)


    9tp5.jpg​

    In honor of Dolly Parton's recent passing, I decided to share a few thoughts about her debut feature movie.

    I was a relatively-recent theatre owner when "9 to 5" came out -- we'd been owners since March of the previous year.

    I remember the trailer for "9 to 5" was one of the first ones to feature a "release date" built into the trailer -- the ending narration said "9 to 5...your Christmas bonus...from 20th Century Fox." Which drove me nuts, because back then we never got anything on the break, so we didn't play the movie until April of 1981. I wound up cutting the end of the trailer off, so it ended very awkwardly, but the movie still did amazing business.

    I've always thought that it was Dolly Parton and Lilly Tomlin who made that movie a hit. Jane Fonda was the biggest star in the movie, but her character wasn't really that interesting. It was Dolly and Lilly and their interactions with their boss (Dabney Coleman) that made the movie.

    For any unfortunate souls who haven't seen it, the movie is about three women who work in the offices of a big company. The boss, Mr. Hart, is a sexist demeaning a-hole who will stop at nothing to further his own career, including stepping on the backs of his underlings. When untrue rumours start to spread about Hart having an affair with his secretary (Parton), the three women figure it's the last straw and, one night during a party, decide to "get even" with the boss.

    Things go wrong, of course -- and to keep themselves out of jail, the three ladies devise a plan to imprison the boss in his own house while spreading the word that he's on an extended vacation. They continue to run the company in his absence and wind up doing a better job than he did. When the whole plot unravels, Mr. Hart intends to hang the ladies out to dry....but then his own boss shows up and starts heaping praise on him for doing such a wonderful job and creating all sorts of new innovations -- which were really put in place by three women. As a reward, the CEO decides to promote Hart into an even better job, but it happens to be in Brazil, so (of course) everybody's happy at the end.

    The first part of the movie is more satisfying to me than the last part, because the movie starts to fall into the trap of having to resort to more and more ridiculous stuff to keep the chuckles coming. But the cast is so good that this doesn't really matter.

    It's a solid 3 out of 5 for me. Even playing it four months after release, it was our Film-Tech Forums movie for 1981.
  • Mike Blakesley
    Film God
    • Jan 2020
    • 2021
    • Forsyth MT

    #2
    I totally put this in the wrong forum, if there are any mods around who could shove it over to Reviews, please do so. Thanks!

    Comment

    • Marcel Birgelen
      Film God
      • Jan 2020
      • 3619
      • Maastricht, NL

      #3
      I guess the fastest way to get it moved is to send Brad a PM.

      I've never seen 9 to 5 in theaters, but still remember seeing it on campy rental VHS quite vividly... 80s galore, simpler times, a lot of the stuff in the movie probably would be labeled as transgressive behavior nowadays.

      I've been lucky to see her perform live at least once in my lifetime, at Dollywood actually, still a place I have quite a few fond memories of and a place I can recommend everybody to visit at least once in their lifetime, even more so than to watch 9 to 5.

      Rest in peace Dolly. I might never been the biggest fan of your music, but it's people like you that make this big ball of dirt worth living.

      Comment

      • Ryan Gallagher
        Film God
        • Nov 2022
        • 2855
        • Austin, Texas, USA

        #4
        If you are in the US and a PBS fan (enough to fork over a donation for their stream pass level of access)…

        There is a very good 2019 Dolly documentary called “Here I Am” that is worth watching. In fact you might cry.



        I’m on vacation in Canada atm, but managed to watch it with my best friend last night using my VPN. Steel Magnolia’s is on our shortlist tonight cause I’ve shown 9to5 much more recently at work.

        Comment

        • Ryan Gallagher
          Film God
          • Nov 2022
          • 2855
          • Austin, Texas, USA

          #5
          And my venue just booked Steel Magnolias for the week I return. Hah.

          Next will likely be an off schedule Rocky Horror tribute event as well (unfortunately). :-(

          Comment

          Working...